Social Work Interviews
Once you have applied for one of our Social Work* courses and if you have been shortlisted, you will be invited for an interview.
*Social Work courses include BA (Hons) Social Work and MA Social Work
What should you expect?
- You will be sent two articles to read in readiness for the written test ahead of your interview. You are allowed to bring one side of A4 handwritten notes.
Article 1 - British Association of Social Workers (2021) What Social Workers Do?
Kingstone, T. & Dikomitis, L. (2021) “The pandemic transformed how social worker was delivered – and these changes could be here to stay” in The Conversation"
- As a guide, the interview day will involve the following:
Written Test, Course Presentation, Break - results of written task stating if you can continue to interview, Group Discussion, Break and then Face-to-face Interview
- At the start of the interview day, you must show a form of picture ID as proof of who the interviewer is talking to. Acceptable documents include a passport, driver's license, college ID badge etc. (please note we do not accept copies).
- You will not be asked to present certificates at your interview. Admissions will ask you for these after the interview if you are offered a place.
- Do you know enough about the course you have applied for? Research information about the course and visit our open days and postgraduate open evenings where you can come and speak to our staff and students www.wlv.ac.uk/opendays.
- Spend time reading Social Work England’s professional standards so that you have a good understanding of what social workers do.
- Ensure you have read all the guidance that has been sent to you, have you been requested to bring any additional information with you? (ID etc.)
- Practice talking about your skills and qualities, giving examples to evidence these.
On-Campus Interviews - Home/UK applicants only
- Don't forget to check which campus your interview will be based on. This information can be found in your interview confirmation e-mail and on e:Vision.
- Plan your journey- our campuses are well-serviced by public transport. If arriving by car, you may find that some of our campuses will require you to pay for parking. You can find further info on how to find us, here.
- Check out our campus locations and campus maps to make sure you go to the correct building for your interview.
- Please arrive at our Wolverhampton City Campus at the Rosalind Franklin (MB) Building. Please arrive at the reception and take a seat.
Online Interviews - International applicants only
- Have you downloaded Microsoft Teams ready onto your device? Read our full guidance on ensuring you are set up and ready for your online interview.
- You’ll be sent a link to your interview on Microsoft Teams via email usually just before your interview time, not far in advance. In this email, there should be a 'Join meeting' link. Just before your interview time, press 'Join meeting'.
- Please ensure you have your photographic ID ready, a fully charged device and you have your e-mail account open on this device no later than 10 minutes before your interview time.
- Ensure you are away from any loud noise or distractions which could interfere with your interview.
- Click the ‘Join meeting’ link 5-10 minutes before your interview time.