The University of Wolverhampton recognises that information and its associated processes, systems and networks are valuable assets, and that the management of personal data has important implications for individuals and the organisation. We believe that Information Security is an integral part of the information sharing which is essential to the University.
The University also believes that Information Security is the responsibility of all students and members of staff. Every person handling information or using University information systems is expected to observe the information security policies and procedures, both during and, where appropriate, after their time at the University.
Cyber Essentials Certification
As our commitment to keeping the University information (data) secure we are currently working to achieve the nationally recognised certification Cyber Essentials Basic, which is a Government-backed and industry-supported scheme to help organisations protect themselves against common online threats.
The certification is in two parts, starting with Cyber Essentials Basic and then followed by Cyber Essentials Plus.
If you are a member of staff, please visit the IT Portal for more information about the changes being introduced to achieve Cyber Essentials.
By undertaking and achieving Cyber Essentials we are:
- demonstrating to staff, students and external partners that we are taking essential precautions with IT and information security.
- re-assuring our partners that we have government-backed security measures in place.
- continually reviewing and improving our information security practices and policies.
We are working with a specialist partner to achieve Cyber Essentials, aligned to the IASME Consortium framework. The five main techincal areas (or controls) are:
- Secure internet connection - firewalls and internet gateways
- Secure devices and software
- Controlled access to systems/services and data
- Protection from Malware and viruses
- Patching devices and servers - keeping security software up-to-date