Undergraduate Financial Support for UK 'home' students

Financial support for full-time and part-time undergraduate UK students to help with fees and living costs comes primarily from the Government. There is some additional support from the University and from other sources. More details are given below:

Money from the Government - Maintenance Loan

The Maintenance Loan is paid to you towards your general living costs. This includes, rent, travel, books, food, socialising etc. The exact amount of maintenance loan you get depends on your family income and where you are living whilst you are studying. More information can be found at Understanding Student Living Costs.

If you live with your parent(s) or a partner then they will need to provide their income details for you to be assessed for the maximum loan you are entitled to. More information can be found at www.gov.uk/student-finance/new-fulltime-students.

Part-time students on a degree course can also apply for a Maintenance Loan to help with living costs. More information can be found at www.gov.uk/student-finance/parttime-students

You only start to pay back your student loans once you have left university and your income is more than £27,295. More details can be found at www.gov.uk/repaying-your-student-loan

If you are a Full-time student with dependants, you could be eligible for additional support.

These schemes can help towards childcare costs and other costs associated with having dependents, however, please note that they are very tightly means-tested against income so not all students are eligible. These additional grants do not need to be repaid as they are not classed as loans. 

  • Childcare Grant is available to help with the cost of registered approved childcare if you are studying full-time
  • The Parents' Learning Allowance can provide support if you are a full-time student with dependent children
  • An Adult Dependants' Grant may be available if you have an adult who is financially dependent on you

The gov.uk website has further details, see Student Finance - Extra help. More information can also be found on the Further Sources of Support web page 

Students may be also able to apply for Child Tax Credit or Universal Credit to help with the day-to-day living costs for dependent children.

Students with disabilities or learning difficulties may be eligible for the Disabled Students' Allowance (DSA), to help fund any extra costs that they may have to pay when studying.

This can include specialist equipment, a non-medical helper, extra travel costs, or other costs. You will need written proof of your disability from an appropriate member of the medical profession. If you have a specific learning difficulty, such as dyslexia or dyspraxia, you will be asked to have an independent assessment of your needs.

More information on the Government support can be found at Disabled Students' Allowance. More information on support available from the University can be found at Student Support and Wellbeing.

Students on Nursing, Midwifery and Allied Health Professions Courses

Students undertaking a degree or Masters course which leads to professional NHS registration can apply for additional funding from the NHS as well as the standard student finance. This is a non-means tested bursary of £5,000 plus additional support for those with children or who are studying a degree in a shortage area. More information on the Training Grant can be found at www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/nhs-learning-support-fund/training-grant.

Money from the University

Once you have enrolled and are attending, you may also be eligible for additional financial support through the University.  There are scholarships and bursaries that you may, depending on your personal circumstances, be able to receive.  Some you are automatically awarded, such as the Travel Fund, and others you need to apply for, such as the Sports Scholarship.

On top of this, the University has its own hardship fund called the Dennis Turner Hardship Fund.  Although we cannot guarantee an award we do try and help as many students suffering financial difficulties as possible.

A part time job can help ease the journey through University and make a useful addition to your CV. The Workplace can help you to find work to fit in round your studies.

Paying course fees

The funding available to you depends on you meeting the eligibility criteria and if you have been to University previously. If do have previous University study in the UK or overseas, or if you have to repeat any of your studies whilst here, then it is important that you check with SFE or with the University what impact this will have. 

If you wish, you can take out a Tuition Fees Loan from the Government which covers the full course fee. You pay it back once you've left university and your income is more than £27,295. More information on repayments can be found at: repayments.

It's available to eligible full-time and part-time higher education students and does not depend on family income.

The Tuition Fees Loan is paid directly to the University of Wolverhampton by the Student Loan Company and covers the full cost of the course. 

Visit student finance on the gov.uk website to find out more.

If you don't want to take out a loan to pay your fees or if you are not eligible (for example if you have previous study), you might want to take advantage of the University's scheme to pay by instalments: see How to Pay. As long as you complete the direct debit form as part of the enrolment process then you will not be asked to pay all of the fees at the start of the course.  

Should you be lucky enough to have someone else pay for you, whether your employer is paying for some or all of your fees or you have received funding from a charitable organisation, we will need to see formal evidence of who is paying and how much they are going to pay (this could be an actual amount or percentage of the fee).  An email will not suffice, we will need official letter-headed paper and a signature.

You will need to either upload the letter to your e:vision account or hand it in as part of the enrolment process.

More information on what evidence you need to provide can be found at proof-of-fees-support-or-sponsorship