Disabled applicant advice

If you are an applicant with a disability, Specific Learning Difference (SpLD) or long-term medical condition, you will need to complete the Self Declaration Form to access support from the University.

We work with applicants to the University who have declared that they have a disability, a Specific Learning Difference (SpLD) such as dyslexia, or long-term health condition.

To ensure you get the right support for your needs, we need you to complete a Self Declaration Form (SDF).

The SDF gives us more details about your specific support needs and allows us to build up your Tutor Awareness Sheet which (with your permission) can inform your module leaders how you can best be supported on your course so please give as much information as you can.

The SDF also contains our consent to share form. Without this, we cannot let your faculty know of your requirements, so please remember to sign the form!

What is a ...

The Self Declaration Form allows self-reflection of a student’s disability, providing the Disability Inclusion Team with:

  • details of how an applicant's condition affects them,
  • information about previous support or adjustments that have been made within a similar learning environment,
  • establish where barriers may affect a student's access to learning within departments such as The University Library, access to buildings, Accommodation Services,
  • determine from responses whether Personal Emergency Evacuation Plans are required,
  • consent to share their support information under our privacy and confidentiality policy/policies within the institution,
  • nominating a designated person(s) who can be contacted in cases of emergency.

It is important to be aware that the University respects the wishes of students who choose not to disclose that they have a condition, however, this can limit the amount of support we are able to provide.

To complete the Self Declaration form please click this link

The Tutor Awareness Sheet (TAS) outlines the adjustments that academic staff and support services are required to make based on the individual needs and assessment of students with physical, psychological or sensory impairments.

The TAS is available as a confidential electronic document on e:Vision providing clear details of recommended adjustments for Teaching and Learning, examinations and in-class test arrangements, as well as requirements within Accommodation Services, The Library and plans for Personal Emergency Evacuation Plans (PEEPs).

Students are encouraged to confirm that their recommendations outlined within their TAS is accurate and are encouraged to contact the SSW as early as possible if there are discrepancies to the support.

A TAS is made available to Faculty Enabling Tutors (every Faculty has one, please refer to ASK@WLV for more information), Module Leaders, and relevant staff members within service departments. Staff access to the TAS is available on a confidential ‘need to know’ basis and every effort is made to ensure that only relevant information concerning reasonable adjustments is communicated.

Frequently asked questions

Yes. We also need you to send us evidence of your disability, Specific Learning Difference (SpLD), health or sensory condition. (See below for details of evidence required.) 

We require medical evidence from students to validate that a student has a disability as defined by the Disability Discrimination Act.

While there are anticipatory adjustments that can be made without medical evidence, there are certain adjustments that cannot be made without this.

The Medical evidence required depends on the nature of the disability or condition.  Please see Gov.UK, Disabled Students' Allowances (DSAs) webpage for further details. 

Specific Learning Difference (SpLD)

If you have a Specific Learning Difference (such as Dyslexia, Dyspraxia, Dyscalculia), you will need to send us a copy of your valid Diagnostic Report. Scanning and emailing it to us is fine.

A report deemed valid for support purposes should meet the following criteria:

  • a diagnostic report undertaken when you were at school 
  • give a clear diagnosis of your specific learning difference
  • the report should be from either a Chartered/Educational Psychologist or a SpLD qualified teacher who holds a current practising (PATOSS) certificate. The authors practising number should be included.

Disability or long-term health or sensory condition

If you have a disability or long-term health or sensory condition you will need to ask your GP or Consultant to complete the Disability Evidence Form. A copy of this form should then be returned to us – scanning and emailing it to us is fine.


If you are applying for Disabled Student Allowances (DSA) you will also need to send your funding body a copy of your Diagnostic Report or Disability Evidence Form.

Forms are completed online including uploading evidence.

Alternatively, please visit an ASK@WLV service point:

  • Find us on City Campus in the Ambika Paul Building, next to the Harrison Library.
  • Find us on Walsall Campus in the foyer area of the Performance Hub.
  • Find us on Telford Campus on the ground floor of the Darby Building.

Even if you do not require support for now, please let us know. 

Applicants: email disabled-student-applicant-enquiries@wlv.ac.uk with the subject line: 'no support required from the Disability Inclusion Team'

Current students: log a quick call to ASK@WLV. You can call 01902 518 518 or log a Helpcall on your e:Vision account 


If you are an applicant, please email disabled-student-applicant-enquiries@wlv.ac.uk for support and guidance. 

If you are a current student, contact us via ASK@WLV, the first point of contact for all student queries. You can log a Helpcall in e:Vision, or call 01902 518 518. If you would like to meet face-to-face, please contact us to book your appointment. 

Go back to the 'Disabled Applicant Enquiries' page for more information for applicants with a disability or Specific Learning Difference.

Email the Disability Inclusion Team for guidance