The University of Wolverhampton is committed to the principles of the Concordat to Support the Career Development of Researchers.
The Concordat sets out the expectations and responsibilities of researchers, their managers, employers and funders. It aims to increase the attractiveness and sustainability of research careers in the UK and to improve the quantity, quality and impact of research for the benefit of UK society and the economy.
The Concordat was established to ensure that today's researchers are nurtured and supported during their career development. By setting out clear expectations for researchers, research managers, research institutions, and funders of research, the Concordat aims to enhance the research workforce and thereby sustain research excellence in the UK, bringing benefits to the health, economy and well-being of our nation.
3 core principles:
Environment and culture
Excellent research requires a supportive and inclusive research culture
Researchers are recruited, employed and managed under conditions that recognise and value their contributions
Professional and career development
Professional and career development are integral to enabling researchers to develop their full potential
4 Stakeholder Groups
Employed primarily to conduct research
Managers of researchers
Having direct line management responsibility for researchers
Universities and research institutes as employers of researchers
Providing funding for public or private research
Why does it exist?
The Research Concordat Sub-Committee
In order to introduce and maintain the standards within the Concordat, and to achieve the national benchmark standard, the University of Wolverhampton established a Research Concordat Sub-Committee including the Dean of Research, the Director of Doctoral College, and the Deputy Director of HR (Strategic Development).
For further information on the university's Research Concordat plan, please contact Dr Stephen Greenfield.
Concordat Documentation 2021:
- HREiR Action Plan (July 2021)
- VCs Letter of Commitment
- Concordat to Support the Career Development of Researchers: Annual Report 2021-22 (Word doc 676k)
- HREiR Report Overview (resubmission July 2021) (Word doc 206k)
- HREiR Review of Action Plan (resubmission July 2021) (Word doc 413k)
- HREiR 6 year Concordat Report (Word doc 196k)
- HREiR Review of Previous Action Plan (Word doc 401k)
- HREiR Action plan template July 2020 to July 2022
- Read the University's original Concordat action plan (PDF) (PDF) February 2012
- Read the University's 2 year Concordat report and action plan (PDF) (PDF) July 2014
- Read the University's 4 year Concordat report and action plan (Word doc 53k) (Word doc 53k) (Word doc 53k) May 2016 updated November 2016
For information about support for Academic Researcher Development please click here.
For infoirmation about Research Integrity please click here.
For information about Research Policies, Procedures and Guidelines please click here
For information about Elements, the university's research management system, click here.