Skip to main content

Advice on Disposing of IT Equipment

In accordance with The Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment Regulations (WEEE) 2006, the University is required to store, collect, treat, recycle and dispose of WEEE separately from other waste. In addition, it is a requirement to obtain and keep proof that any WEEE is given to a waste management company and treated and disposed of in an environmentally sound way.

The University has appointed a local, environmentally sound and licensed contractor to handle all the University’s Electrical and Electronic waste. All IT equipment, including decommissioned but still functioning PCs, must be disposed of via the appointed WEEE contractor. The process of disposal ensures that equipment is completely wiped of data and software by the contractor. It also ensures that any future legal responsibility for the equipment rests with the contractor, NOT the University.

The equipment is then either professionally refurbished for use by charities in the UK or more commonly, for use in the developing world. Equipment that is beyond reuse is processed and raw materials extracted and recycled where possible. This is all done at no cost to the University.

IT Services will assist departments in assessing whether obsolescent systems can be redeployed or cascaded for use elsewhere in the University, as in some cases systems can continue to be used in less demanding roles. If a system is deemed to be obsolete, you are obliged to use this disposal route to ensure that as an institution we meet the terms of the legislation.

Unfortunately, it is not permissible for staff to take old University systems home or to redeploy them outside of the University.  

Failure on the University’s part to comply with this legislation could result in a substantial fine for the institution and/or its officers.

WEEE Collection Procedure

The system for WEEE collections and notification changed on 1st November 2010. You can find the new procedure and complete documentation located on the Policies and Regulations part of the University website.

If you have any queries concerning the procedure or on the disposal of WEEE, please contact your Facilities Information Hub on campus.