Post Compulsory Education Courses: Frequently Asked Questions

This page answers the most common queries that we receive regarding post compulsory teaching courses. Including PGCE PCE (FT), Cert Ed/Post Grad (PT), MA PPLE (PT) and BA PCE (PT).

What is the difference between a Certificate in Education (CertEd) and a Professional Graduate Certificate (ProfGradEd)?

Our partner colleges across the region offer a Part-Time In-Service two year route for applicants. Applicants to these courses have paid teaching hours already in place. On this route applicants without degree qualifications above 2:2 can study the CertEd gaining 60 credits at level 4 and 60 credits at level 5. Those taking the ProfGradEd gain 60 credits at level 5 and 60 credits at level 6. This allows the university to offer a differentiated route reflecting the wide range of vocational qualifications applicants may hold which are relevant for teaching in Post Compulsory Education (PCE) settings. Find out more here.

*please note whilst most courses in the suite of Post Compulsory Education courses we offer require an interview, not all courses do. Please check the entry criteria on the course page to see if this is part of the selection process.


How will my teaching placement work?

On the full time PGCE route you will be placed in an appropriate placement across the course between October and May. This will generally be for two days a week. There are also two block placements in January and May.

Prospects and Employment

How employable are PCE teaching graduates?

The University of Wolverhampton creates graduates that are digitally literate, knowledgeable and enterprising with a global outlook on life. The departments’ extensive partnership profile with local colleges and organisations means that we have a high rate of employability. 94% of Institute of Education graduates were employed or in further study six months after graduating.

What are my progression opportunities for further study with the University beyond the course?

If you have completed a Certificate in Education route at level 4/5 your credits can be put towards a BA (Hons). For those completing the PGCE route at level 5/6 or 6/7 you will have accumulated credits towards an MA, dependant on your source of MA funding. (Links to BA PCE, MA Education and MA PPLE here.)


All course prices are displayed on individual course pages. In some cases tuition fee loans may be available. Find out more -

DBS and Occupational Health

Will I need a new DBS check?

Once you have received either a conditional or unconditional offer for the course you will be sent information about how to complete your DBS Disclosure Application Form and return it. All of our PGCE PCE applicants will be required to have a new DBS check. This information is sent out from May for our September intake. However, if you are registered for the update service you will not be required to have another one ( 

Will I need to have my Occupational Health assessed?

Once you have received ean offer for the course you will be sent information about completing and online Occupational health form to return. This information is sent out from mid-May for our September intake.

I have a question which has not been answered:

Our teaching staff are on hand at Open Days\Evenings to answer your questions and you can also see our excellent facilities.