Applying for Visas for Non-EU/Non-EEA applicants

All nationals from non-EEA states who wish to come to the UK to study for longer than 6 months are required to obtain a visa (also called 'entry clearance') before coming to the UK.

How to apply

To apply for your Student Route entry clearance overseas, you will need to find your closest Visa Application Centre and check with them what their procedure for visa applications is. 

To apply for your student visa in the UK, you must first make an appointment with our Visa & Immigration Support team for an assessment of your documents. You will then be given assistance with the online application. 

Further information about the visa application process can be found on the Visas & Immigration webpages.


To qualify for a Student Route visa you must be able to claim 70 points. The points are given as follows:

  • Students will obtain 50 points for the Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) sent to you by the University
  • Students will obtain 10 points for the financial requirements which will show that you have sufficient money to cover your course fees and living expenses.
  • Students will obtain 10 points for your English language qualifications. If we have used a local equivalent qualification to assess your English ability in all four components, you will be required to undertake a short interview with the University

You may find the Points-based calculator useful on the Home Office webpages.

CAS number

You will require a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) number to include on your visa application form.  You can request a CAS number from the  Admissions Unit through e:VIsion when you hold an unconditional offer and have paid your tuition fee deposit, from three months before the start of your course. The CAS number will be on a CAS statement, which will also include

  • Your personal details
  • the details of the course you intend to study
  • details of your qualifications you have used to apply for the course
  • tuition fees and how much of the fees you have paid
  • the University of Wolverhampton Sponsor Licence Number and address

Please note: this statement will be available for you to download from e:Vision and will be in addition to any conditional or unconditional offer letter already issued to you. You must check the information on the CAS statement carefully and inform us if there are any errors before you apply for your visa. You are responsible for checking the information on the CAS statement is correct.

Bank Statements

You must provide a bank statement that covers 28 days that shows you have enough money to claim the 10 points for maintenance. The money must be in your bank account or your parents' bank account. It cannot be in any other relative or friend’s account.

The money must be in your bank account at the time you apply and you must have maintained the funds for a minimum of 28 days before the date of your visa application. The date of the final balance cannot be more than 31 days before the date of your visa application.

Please note:

  • You can use your parents' bank account, but if you do so you would also need to include your birth certificate and a letter of consent from your parents, confirming they are your parents and will allow you to use the money in their account for your studies.
  • You cannot use any other relative or sponsor’s bank account unless they meet the requirements for an official financial sponsor.
  • The amount of money needed will depend on how much you have already paid to the University of Wolverhampton and how long your course is.
  • The bank statement will need to show the outstanding balance for your tuition fees (the Entry Clearance post will check the CAS statement for the total fees and how much you have already paid)
  • living expenses in a lump sum of £9,207 (calculated at £1,023 per month for  a maximum of nine months)
  • if you intend to live in University of Wolverhampton Halls of Residence you will also need to show you have enough money to cover the outstanding cost of the accommodation
  • if your course is less than nine months you will need to show living expenses calculated at £1,023 for each month in one lump sum. For example if your course lasts for six months you should show living expenses of £6,138 (plus the outstanding balance of your tuition fees)

Other documents/required information

As well as your CAS statement and financial evidence you will need to provide

  • your Immigration Healthcare Surcharge (IHS) reference number. See more information below
  • your passport and recent passport photographs (usually 1 photograph for applications outside the UK or 2 identical photographs for applications inside the UK) with your full name written on the back
  • ‘Biometric’ information consisting of scans of your fingerprints and a full face digital photograph (given at the Visa Application Centre)
  • Original copies of the qualifications you have used to apply for the course and which are listed on your CAS statement
  • A letter of consent from your parents if you will be under the age of 18 at the start of your course
  • You may need an ATAS certificate if you are on a research programme or if you have been advised the Masters course you are applying for requires one. See more information below
  • You may need to provide a TB Test Certificate, depending on your nationality. See more information below

You may also need to show the Entry Clearance Officer that you intend to leave the UK when you have completed the course and that you don’t intend to work in the UK (except for part-time or vacation work). The Visa Application Centre may advise you of this requirement if they have concerns about your intentions.

Appointments for interviews

You must book and attend an appointment at the Visa Application Centre as part of the visa application process. 

If you are applying from overseas, you will usually be interviewed during your appointment.  The questions may cover any aspect of your application, including why you have decided to study in the UK (and specifically at the University of Wolverhampton), detailed information about your course and how you will fund your studies.

Think about;

  • Why did you choose your course of study?
  • Why did you choose the University of Wolverhampton?
  • Why do you want to study in the UK?
  • What are your future plans? 
  • How will you pay for your course and living costs?

It is important to prepare carefully for your interview, and remember it is your opportunity to prove you are a genuine student to the caseworker. The interview will be used to confirm you have the correct level of English to study your course, and you can use it to present additional information to the caseworker that you might not have included in your application.

You may also be asked additional questions if further detail is required. 

If you are applying inside the UK, you may be invited to an interview as part of the visa application process.  During this interview, you may be asked to discuss your current studies, any previous courses and your future plans.

For either interview, you must attend your appointment and the costs for doing so will be at your own expense.  The Home Office will have the right to refuse your visa if you fail to attend the appointment without good reason and/or if they are not satisfied you have a genuine intention to study.

If you have any questions or concerns about the interview please contact the Visa and Immigration Support Team on

Immigration Healthcare Surcharge (IHS)

You need to pay the Immigration Healthcare Surcharge (IHS) as part of the visa application process. This will allow you access to the National Health Service (NHS) when you are in the UK. You pay the surcharge through the Home Office website before submitting your visa application. When you have paid the surcharge you will be given a reference number that will need to be included on your visa application form. The surcharge is £776 per 12 months  but the exact amount you have to pay depends on the total length of your visa, which will be longer than the total length of your course because the Home Office automatically grant you a short period of extra time at the start and end of your studies.

You can use the Home Office calculator to check how much you will need to pay. If you have dependants they will also usually pay the same amount as you.

TB Screening

In May 2012 the Home Office introduced compulsory Tuberculosis (TB) screening for applicants from some countries. Check the list of countries to see if this will affect you.

Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) Certification

It is compulsory for non-EU/EEA students of some Postgraduate Research courses to gain an Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) certificate before they make immigration applications to come to the UK as a student or stay longer in the UK as a student.  You will be informed during the admissions process if you need to apply for an ATAS certificate.    If you have any questions about this, you can also contact the Admissions Unit for further information on or visit the Foreign and Commonwealth Office website

After you have applied

Information about visa processing times, returning your documents and replacing lost or stolen documents can be found on the Visas & Immigration webpages