Visa Information for After Your Studies

Visas for Graduation

If you require an invitation letter to support your visa application for your graduation ceremony or an invitation letter for your family members to attend the ceremony, you will be able to request this through e:Vision when booking your place on your graduate ceremony.

You will be able to request for the letters to be sent to an alternative contact address if you do not want us to use your current contact address. It will be your responsibility to distribute the letters to your family members.

If you need information about applying for a Visitor Visa for yourself and/or your guests to attend the graduation ceremony, please contact the Visa & Immigration Support Officer.

Doctorate Extension Scheme

From 6 April 2013, if you complete a PhD or other doctorate-level qualification at the university, you will be able to apply to stay in the UK on a Tier 4 visa for 12 months after you complete your course, under the Doctorate Extension Scheme.

This scheme allows you time to set up as an entrepreneur or to gain practical work experience in your field. The University will continue to be your Tier 4 sponsor you if wish to apply for this scheme and we will continue to have monitoring responsibilities for you throughout the time your Doctorate Extension Scheme visa is valid.

If you are coming to the end of your PhD and want to apply for the DES visa the Visa & Immigration Support Team will assist you with your application. The timing of the application is important so we suggest you talk to the Visa and Immigration Support Team before you complete your viva.