Privacy Notice (Enquiries and Website Requests)
Who we are
The University of Wolverhampton (‘we’ or ’us’) are a ‘Data Controller’ for the purposes of the Data Protection Legislation (including the Data Protection Act 1998 and the General Data Protection Regulation) and we are responsible for, and control the processing of, your personal information.
We are committed to protecting your privacy. This notice explains how the University of Wolverhampton collects and process your personal information for marketing, communications, recruitment and reporting purposes.
Information We Collect
We obtain personal information about you from the following sources:
- Information provided by you:
- You provided personal information upon making an enquiry with the University of Wolverhampton, whether, online, by phone or in person;
- You provided your personal information through one of our websites or through a university presence on an online platform, as part of completing a contact, registration, enquiry, competition, expression of interest, survey, engagement, mailing list sign-up, or booking form;
- Completed and/or returned surveys or response/feedback forms such as contact preference forms, event feedback forms, and others, including by mail and via electronic means;
- Registered to attend an event;
- Registered an interest in University of Wolverhampton courses, products, services or events;
- Requested a prospectus or other University of Wolverhampton publication;
- Third party sources:
- Third-party cloud-based platforms used for capturing your data directly for an explicit purpose, such as, but not including event booking platforms (e.g. Eventbrite), web form builders, social media platforms, advertising platforms and lead generation or customer relationship management systems (CRM);
- Organisations through with which the University of Wolverhampton has a data sharing agreement, such as partner schools and colleges;
- Such as organisations that assist the University of Wolverhampton in pursuing the purposes described below, media articles, company or charity registers and filings, and other sources available to the public at large, such as the world wide web.
We may process the following personal information about you:
- Your title, full name (including former name or alias), gender, date of birth;
- Your education record (Degree and Award details, Year of study and graduation);
- Your employment record (i.e. related to your enquiry)
- Your contact information (home/term time address, telephone number(s), email address);
- Your business details if applicable, including positions, organisation, professional memberships and qualifications;
- Metadata you have chosen to share publicly online or through your device, such as through social media, geolocation and user behaviour whilst engaging with University of Wolverhampton channels;
- Data recorded for the purpose of equal opportunities or regulatory monitoring (e.g. ethnicity, sexuality, disability status, religion and other information required by law);
- Other information you share with us.
Personal information we collect about you may include “special categories” data, such as information about your racial or ethnic origin, religious or other beliefs, physical or mental health and criminal offences/proceedings. “Special categories” data would only be processed where you have provided it yourself (with your consent), for example during discussions with any of our representatives or where such is recorded for the purposes of assessing accessibility requirements arising as a result of a disability, or where this information has already been made public or processing is required by law.
How We Use Your Data
The University of Wolverhampton uses your data to ensure we can provide you with the best possible experience as a customer or potential customer of the University, through our marketing, communications, recruitment and analytical reporting activities. We collect personal information to enable us to deliver these services and to better understand our community so that we can better meet your needs and improve our services.
We may process your personal information for the following purposes:
- Administrative purposes:
- To process your enquiry or request;
- To personalise your online and offline engagement and experience with the University of Wolverhampton;
- For a specific purpose, for instance, event registration;
- To track, analyse and keep a record of communications between us.
- Business reporting, such as enquirer to applicant analysis;
- Online analytics, such as user-journeys, conversion tracking, and website behaviour analysis.
- We may carry out further data research independently or with third parties to assess the impact of University activities. This may include collection and storage of information about you in addition to information we already hold about you, where such is available in the public domain, as well as surveys, focus groups and desk research.
- If you would like to opt-out of the above Research activities, please let us know. See ‘How to Contact Us’ below for further information.
- Automated decision making and Profiling
- The University of Wolverhampton may use modelling and machine-learning tools to enable us to automatically process your information, to assess the likelihood of application, enrolment, and engagement with other University activities. We use your information to identify the effectiveness and targeting of University activities, and to help determine that our communications, including requests, invites and opportunities, are relevant and of interest to you.
- If you would like to opt-out of the above activity, please let us know. See ‘How to Contact Us’ below for further information.
Communications - If you have opted in to receive marketing and communications from us, we may from time to time, contact you by email, post, SMS, targeted advertising or telephone to pursue the purposes mentioned above and in particular for the following reasons:
- To invite you to events, opportunities and activities (such as Open Days and Applicant Days), which may be of interest to you;
- To provide you with tailored content based on your level and type of engagement with the University;
- To contact you with information relevant to your application, request or enquiry;
- To keep you up to date with other relevant information, which we think may be of interest to you
If you would like to opt-out of the above communications, please see ‘Rights of Data Subjects’ below for further information.
Who your information may be shared with
Your personal information is held securely within the university customer relationship management systems and/or student records system. We may disclose your personal data to other companies within our group, third parties working in partnership or on behalf of the University for data processing or analysis, and/or Government Agencies where required to do so by law.
We do not transfer your personal information to third parties outside the EEA without adequate levels of protection. Where personal data is processed by a third party, we take reasonable steps to ensure that the data is processed strictly according to the instructions of the University, for the relevant purposes only and securely destroyed or returned upon completion/termination. We take reasonable steps to ensure that third party processors are subject to written legal obligations in respect of data protection and the duty of confidentiality.
We do not sell or rent any personal information or data supplied by you. We may compile aggregate statistics and provide them to third parties, but we do not include personal information that identifies individual users.
We may retain your personal information for a period of three years or as long as necessary and in-line with our statutory/regulatory obligations where appropriate.
If you wish to request for any of your records to be removed from our database or would like to opt-out of any or all communications from the University of Wolverhampton, please see ‘How to Contact Us’ and ‘Rights of Data Subjects’ below for further information.
Rights of Data Subjects
- Right to request a copy of your information - You can request a copy of your information which we hold (this is known as a subject access request). If you would like a copy of some or all of it, please visit the University of Wolverhampton Data Protection web pages available here.
- Right to correct mistakes in your information - You can require us to correct any mistakes in your information which we hold free of charge. If you would like to do so, please write to us (see ‘Contact Us’ below) and provide us with enough information to identify you, as well as, inform us of the information that is incorrect and what it should be replaced with.
- Right to ask us to stop contacting you with direct marketing - if you no longer wish to receive marketing communications from the University of Wolverhampton, you can unsubscribe from our communications.
Lawful basis for processing
The University may rely on one or multiple grounds for processing your personal data including:
- You have provided consent for the processing;
- There is a contractual commitment to provide the services and, therefore, processing is necessary to meet those contractual obligations;
- Where processing of certain data is in the public interest, for example, where it enables the delivery of the University’s charitable activities and the subsequent benefits to society;
- The information is available to the public at large; and/or
- The processing is necessary for the purposes of legitimate interests of the University or other third parties and does not affect the fundamental rights and freedoms of the individuals concerned.
How to Contact Us:
Should you have any queries, suggestions or issues please do not hesitate to contact the University of Wolverhampton on email@example.com or you can write to us at the following address:
University of Wolverhampton
If you have any concerns or believe that your personal information is being handled in a manner which is contrary to statutory requirements, you may wish to contact the University of Wolverhampton’s Data Protection Officer via firstname.lastname@example.org or complain to ICO.