Back Back

First for University of Wolverhampton in People and Planet Green League 2013


First Class Award and ranked 39 out of 143 universities in the People & Planet Green League 2013The University was given a First Class Award and ranked 39 out of 143 universities in the People & Planet Green League 2013. This was a jump of 14 places and compares to the 2:1 award it received last year when it was placed 53rd.

The survey is the UK's only comprehensive and independent green ranking of universities and the results have been published today (11 June) in The Guardian.

As part of its commitment to be more environmentally friendly across its campuses, the University has invested £3.4 million in a Carbon Management Plan working with the Carbon Trust, which aims to reduce its carbon emissions from 16,000 tonnes to 12,000 tonnes by 2015 - a reduction of 25%.

The University is currently ahead of target in achieving this reduction through a series of projects which includes:

  • The installation of a combined heat and power system at its City Campus South to further reduce carbon emissions by 1,000 tonnes per year
  • A photovoltaic system has been installed on the roof of MD building. This uses solar panels to convert sunlight into electricity

·         Voltage optimisation systems have been installed in a number of buildings as well as energy efficient lighting and automatic lighting controls

·         The University has also chosen to purchase green electricity, which is derived from environmentally friendly or renewable sources

·         Partnership working with the Students’ Union in delivering the green agenda to students, notably the student switch-off campaign.

The University has significantly increased the amount of waste which it now recycles to 82%. Waste to landfill is the remaining 18%, which also assists with the carbon reduction target.

Wolverhampton is also a Fairtrade university, promoting the use of Fairtrade products in its catering outlets and participating in Fairtrade fortnight.

Pro Vice-Chancellor Jane Nelson said: “I’m delighted to see the progress that the University has made on environmental and ethical performance. This First Class Award recognises the efforts of the Sustainability, Environmental and Carbon Management Group to reduce our carbon footprint and ensure our campuses are as environmentally friendly and ethical as possible.

“I would like to thank all the staff members and students who have worked really hard and with great enthusiasm to achieve this, but we still have a lot of work to do and we remain focused on striving to achieve our carbon management and environmental goals.”

Louise Hazan, who compiled the People & Planet Green League, said: "The University of Wolverhampton thoroughly deserves its First Class ranking this year and is helping to drive up environmental and ethical standards for the higher education sector as a whole.”

The People & Planet Green League, an annual ranking by the national student campaign group, assesses the environmental and ethical performance of all universities, awarding First Class 'degrees' to the greenest and Fail to those doing the least to address their environmental impacts.

Wolverhampton achieved an impressive 2:1 grade in the People and Planet Green League 2012 and was ranked in 53rd place, compared to 80th in 2011 and 126th place in 2010.


For more information please contact James Allen in the Media Relations Office on 01902 322003

Date Issued: Tuesday 11 June 2013

For more information please contact the Media Relations Office on 01902 32 2736 or 01902 518647.

Share this release