Dedication of staff celebrated
Thirteen members of staff received gifts at the University’s annual Long Service Awards – including one who has worked at the institution for an impressive 40 years.
Barbara Hodson, now Senior Laboratory Technician in the School of Applied Sciences, joined Dudley College of Education as a trainee technician in 1969. She received a watch and earrings as a thank you for her long service at the University.
Other recipients of an award for 25 years of service included Kevin O’Sullivan, Manager of the Arena Theatre and world-renowned Professor of Soil Technology Mike Fullen.
Vice-Chancellor, Professor Caroline Gipps, and Dr Simon Walford from the University’s Board of Governors, presented each member of staff with gifts and thanked them for their loyalty and hard work.
Professor Gipps said: “It is great to celebrate our staff who have been with us for such a length of time. Organisations that have a mission and a belief in the public good do require loyalty and I am delighted that this institution generates such loyalty among staff. I would like to thank them all for what they have done for our students and for their commitment to the University.”
Dr Simon Walford thanked the staff members for their huge contribution to the University on behalf of the Board of Governors.
The thirteen members of staff who received awards were:
- Senior Laboratory Technician School of Applied Sciences, Barbara Hodson
- Quality Champion School of Technology, Helen Ashdown
- Senior 2nd Line Support Analyst in IT Services, Andy Burns
- Senior Microbiology Technician School of Applied Sciences, Ann Dawson
- Admissions and Externally Funded Admin in the School of Technology, Elaine Downes
- Head of Interdisciplinary & Multimedia Learning School of Health and Wellbeing, Linsey Duncan-Pitt
- Professor in Soil Technology School of Applied Sciences, Mike Fullen
- Superintendant Technician School of Art & Design, Darren Hillman
- Senior Technician School of Applied Sciences, Keith Holding
- Operations Services Manager Estates and Facilities, Trish McGloin
- Head of Client Services International Centre, Dominique Nield
- Arena Theatre Manager Kevin O’Sullivan
- Senior Lecturer School of Health and Wellbeing Margaret Bayliss-Parkes
The additional long serving members of staff are:
- Senior Lecturer in the School of Applied Sciences Alan Burns
- Senior Lecturer in the School of Law, Social Sciences and Communications Martin Durham
- Technician in the School of Law, Social Sciences and Communications Joanne Fletcher
- 2nd Support Manager in IT Services Sharon McKoy Senior
- Lecturer School of Technology Peter Wilson.
As well as individual gifts, the staff members and their guests received flowers or a University paper knife at the awards at the event at Wolverhampton Science Park on Tuesday, 2 November 2010.
Five members of staff who had completed 25 years of service were unable to attend the event but will be presented with their gifts at a later date.
The Long Service Awards were organised by Wendy Worrall on behalf of the Personnel Department. Director of Personnel, Roger Williams, and Deputy Director, Jean Davies, welcomed everyone to the event and also read a biography of each of the long serving members of staff at the ceremony.
Picture: Vice-Chancellor Professor Caroline Gipps (left) and Dr Simon Walford (far right) from the Board of Governors with the 13 long serving members of staff at the 2010 award ceremony.
For more information please contact Vickie Warren in the Media Relations Office on 01902 322736
For more information please contact the Media Relations Office on 01902 32 2736 or 01902 518647.