University of Wolverhampton Careers and The Workplace Privacy Notice
Who we are
The University of Wolverhampton (‘The University’, ‘we’ or ‘us’) are a ‘Data Controller’, as defined by the Data Protection Act 2018 and are responsible for, and control the processing of your Personal Data. You can contact us at email firstname.lastname@example.org, University of Wolverhampton, Wulfruna Street, Wolverhampton WV1 1LY. Tel. 01902 32 1000. Our Data Protection Officer can be contacted at email@example.com.
How We Use Your Data
Careers and The Workplace will process your personal data when you engage with the service. As a student or graduate, in order to engage you in a fair, consistent process we collect information that will be used throughout your time at university and for 3 years after graduation.
To provide a more complete employability offering to our students and graduates, we keep a record of your CV and interactions with our career professionals and recruitment specialists, so we can better inform you of services and opportunities to improve your career prospects. We collect personal information to enable us to deliver these services and to better understand our community so that we can better meet your needs and improve our services.
We may process your personal information for the following purposes:
- To verify your identify/account and provide you with a personalised experience upon your registration with the University of Wolverhampton
- Event and course registration
- To process and organise any activities you have agreed to undertake/shown an interest in undertaking
- To keep a record of communications between us
We may, from time to time, contact you by email, post or telephone to pursue the purposes mentioned above and in particular for the following reasons:
- To keep you up to date with events and activities at the University of Wolverhampton
- To share employment, training and volunteering opportunities, news and achievements of the University and its staff/student body, including research and services
- Invite you to events, which may be of interest to you
- Invite you to train work or volunteer at the University, including courses, mentoring schemes and career advice
- To keep you up to date with other relevant information, which we think may be of interest to you
In order to support you in your vacancy search, we will share your CV with organisations that we advertise for. This will only be shared with your permission (obtained either over the phone, email or appointments) or after you have applied through following the process outlined on our vacancy advert.
Information We Collect
The majority of information that we process about you will be provided by you. This will typically be via our website or through the Career Space portal.
We may obtain and process the following personal information about you as part of the service:
- Your name and contact details including your home address, home and mobile phone numbers and your email address
- A copy of your CV
- Your nationality and immigration status and information from related documents, such as your passport or other identification/immigration information
- Details of bank/building society, National Insurance and tax information (for making payments through internal finance system)
- Your status in relation to protected characteristics as defined in the Equality Act 2010
- Information on grievances raised by or involving you (in certain circumstances)
- Details of your time and attendance records (in certain circumstances)
- Information regarding your work output (in certain circumstances)
We obtain personal information about you from the following sources:
The University Group:
- Upon enrolment, your personal information may be transferred from the University’s central and local databases to our databases for academic purposes
Information provided by you:
- You provided your personal information through one of our websites, as part of competitions, Careers, employment, volunteering or other events.
- Completed and/or returned surveys or response/feedback forms such as contact preference forms, including by mail and via electronic means.
- Registered to attend an event
- Registered an interest for support to find employment or volunteering opportunities
Who We Share Your Personal Data With
Information is shared with relevant departments within the University for the purposes outlined above.
For student employment the university uses an employment agency Adecco, who will amongst other things process information in relation to the hours worked and checks relating to illegibility to work. The University and Adecco have a data sharing agreement in place, and as such your personal data will be shared between the University and the agency.
We may also share personal details with organisations with enforcement powers such as HMRC or the Police. However, we will only do so if this is required to comply with our legal obligation to disclose information to these bodies. We will only share the minimum amount of personal data with any of the above and will always do so in accordance with the law.
We may retain your personal information for a period of 7 years from your graduation or as long as necessary and in line with our statutory/regulatory obligations where appropriate.
If you wish to request for any of your records to be removed from our database, or would like to opt- out of any or all communications from the University of Wolverhampton, please see ‘How to Contact Us’ and ‘Rights of Data Subjects’ below for further information.
As an individual, you have a number of rights available to you. To find out more about how you may exercise those rights, for example, The Right of Subject Access: obtaining a copy of your information which we may hold, or the Right to Rectification: correcting any mistakes or completing the information we hold about you, please see our Data Protection web pages available here or the ICO website for more information.
How to Complain
If you have any queries, concerns or believe that your Personal Data is being handled in a manner which is contrary to statutory requirements, you may wish to contact the University of Wolverhampton’s Data Protection Officer via firstname.lastname@example.org or complain to the ICO via www.ico.org.uk
Changes to Privacy Notice
We regularly review our privacy notice and will review it at least annually. This privacy notice was last updated on 13th June 2023.