The LLB degree provides a qualifying law degree enabling successful to prepare for the Bar Professional Training Course (Barrister). Additionally, the LLB is designed to provide preparatory legal education for those wishing to qualify as solicitors by undertaking the new Solicitors Qualifying Examination.
- Subject specific knowledge of the areas of law known as the Foundations of Legal Knowledge comprising: Constitutional and Administrative Law and Human Rights Law; Law of the European Union; Criminal Law; Contract; Tort; Property Law and Equity & Trusts with an initial study of Legal Skills and English and European Legal Systems and training in legal research.
- In addition, the degree covers the substantive areas of the Solicitor’s Qualifying Examination, including Business Law and Practice, Property Law and Practice, Criminal Litigation, Wills and Probate and Dispute Resolution in Contract and Tort.
- Application (including problem solving and practice based learning)
- Research, analysis, evaluation, critical judgement and synthesis
- An ability to work independently
- Effective communication, literacy (including proficiency in IT skills) and other key skills.
The course aims to provide students with knowledge of the English Legal system, familiarity with its institutions and procedures and a basic understanding of how law fits together and operates in England and Wales and the European Union.
Students will demonstrate progression through their course of study and develop the ability to apply knowledge to legal problems and provide solutions to a wide number of legal issues.
In addition to the designated mandatory subjects for study there will be the opportunity to select options at Levels 5 and 6 as preparation for areas of future employment and/or specialism. The overall aim is that students will be able to act independently in planning and managing tasks. Core and option areas which they have studied and will be able to demonstrate proficiency in the use of IT and technology supported learning. Students will be exposed to practice based learning throughout the degree.