GCSE at grade C+ / 4 (or equivalent) in English and Mathematics plus
Please note we do NOT accept GCSE Short Courses or GCSE Equivalence Tests from other institutions or organisations.
- BCC from 3 'A' Levels at grades A, B, C or above
- BTEC National Diploma at a D*D
- BTEC QCF Extended Diploma at grade DMM/BTEC QCF Diploma at grade D*D
- OCR National Extended Diploma at a M2 grade
- CACHE Diploma in Child Care and Education at a B grade
- Access to HE Diploma Full award (60 credits) of which a minimum of 45 must be at Level 3 with at least 24 of these Level 3 credits at Merit or Distinction. 12 credits at Level 2 or 3 in English and 12 credits at Level 2 or 3 in Mathematics would meet GCSE maths and English grade C+/equivalence.
- If you've got other qualifications or relevant experience, please contact The Gateway for further advice before applying.
- International entry requirements and application guidance can be found here
Relevant work experience, especially in a social care or health setting is desirable.
Applicants will also be required to provide satisfactory personal statement and two references (academic and employer). A minimum of 3 months work experience in a relevant area such as a social care or health setting, paid or on a voluntary basis is highly desirable. We also consider life experience for example, if you are or have been a carer or if you have experience of the care system and are able to reflect on these experiences we would consider your application.
Those meeting the entry requirements may be shortlisted for interview and will be invited to an assessment day where you will be assessed in comprehension, verbal ability and suitability for social work. Interview panels will include, whenever possible, employer and service-user/carer representatives.
Due to the professional nature of this course you are also required to complete a Declaration of Health and Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) Check. Arrangements for Social Work registration are changing with the regulatory functions of the Health and Social Professional Council (HCPC) taking to be replaced by another body in the near future.
If you have accepted a Conditional Offer made by the University of Wolverhampton you will receive correspondence asking you to complete an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check. The charge for this will be a DBS fee of £44.00 and a £6.00 ID check service fee. You will also need to complete an occupational health assessment questionnaire prior to starting the course.
Due to nature of social work, you will are expected to travel. Having a driving licence and your own transport is advantageous.
Those who do not meet the entry requirements may be offered an alternative course
Please note we will not accept applicants onto our professional courses who have been unsuccessful on professional courses at other institutions of higher education
This course is not available to international students who are living overseas. Applicants who are classed as ‘overseas’ for fee purposes will still be considered as long as their country of domicile is the United Kingdom.
Please note than an offer of a place at the University does not guarantee eligibility for student funding. To confirm that you meet the residency criteria go to www.gov.uk/student-finance/who-qualifies or telephone SFE on 0300 100 0607.