Register with your local GP




If you’ve moved away from home, it's important to look after your health whether its pub visits or gym visits you’re into! Read on to find out more about registering with a new doctor (GP) and knowing where to go for the right treatment.


What do I need to know?

If, like most students, you are likely to spend more weeks of the year at your college address than your family's address, you need to register with a GP near your college as soon as possible. That way you can receive care if you need it, and access health services quickly and easily while you're at college. This is especially important if you have an ongoing health condition, particularly one that needs medication, such as asthma, diabetes or epilepsy.


How do I register?

You can choose to register with any local GP. The health centre attached to your college or university is likely to be the most convenient, and the doctors working there will be experienced in the health needs of students. You should receive information about this during Fresher’s Week.


I have a specific complaint - what about other health specialists?

Many college health centres have good links with specialists, such as psychiatrists, sports physicians, psychotherapists, counsellors and physiotherapists so if you have a specific problem area, you can see the relevant health professional.


What can my local pharmacy help me with?

By visiting your local pharmacy, you could save yourself time and trouble. Instead of booking and waiting for a GP appointment, you can visit your local pharmacist any time – just walk in.

All pharmacists can recognise many common health complaints. They can give advice or, where appropriate, medicines that will help clear up the problem.


Your pharmacist may be able to help with:


Many pharmacies have a consulting room too if you have something you want to discuss in private.


For treatment of minor injuries or illnesses such as cuts, bruises and rashes, you can visit an NHS walk-in centre or minor injuries unit without an appointment or having to register. Find your nearest by postcode on


What do I do if the pharmacy is closed and I can’t get to see a GP?

Call NHS 111; the NHS non-emergency number. It's fast, easy and free. Call 111 and speak to a highly trained adviser, supported by healthcare professionals.

They will ask you a series of questions to assess your symptoms and immediately direct you to the best medical care for you.

NHS 111 is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Calls are free from landlines and mobile phones.


I have a regular prescription. Can’t I register online?

You sure can! If you have a condition that requires regular prescribed medication you can request this online by registering for GP online services.  Simply take two forms of photo ID into your GP practice and they can sign you up.  You can also specify which pharmacy you would like to collect your medication from as well as book appointments online,


What about when I’m back home visiting my family or visiting mates at other unis?

If you become unwell or need other medical treatment when you're back home visiting or staying with friends away from your university address, you can contact your nearest practice to ask for treatment.

Share this release