- Providing support, information and advice on LGBT issues or related queries to all staff
- Delivering a confidential channel for reporting discrimination or harassment in relation to sexual orientation or gender identity
- Reverse mentoring senior management on LGBT equality & diversity initiatives
- Developing all staff through training sponsorship and delivering LGBT awareness workshops
- Coordinating LGBT awareness events and campaigns, such as LGBT History Month, IDAHOT, Gay Prides, etc.
- Liaising with other LGBT community groups, student societies and staff networks within the campus and beyond
- Supporting the University’s submission to Stonewall Workplace Equality Index
Meet the Staff Network Officers
Co-Chair of LGBT+ Staff Network
Sarah Slater and Martin Evans
Sarah and Martin split the network duties between them, with Sarah looking after staff welfare issues, support and liaising with HR and EDU to make sure that LGBT+ issues are equally represented and supported at the University, while Martin will work on external/internal activities that raise the profile of LGBT+ issues and representation in conjunction with MAC and EDU. Martin & Sarah work with the vice chairs, agreeing activities that reduce overlap, and instead provide a broader role for the network, with a drive to grow the membership, and ease communication.
With Sarah from an Academic role, and Martin an APTC role, they are working to grow the network whilst continuing to support internal and external activities such as LGBT+ History Month, Trans Day of Remembrance and other events raised as interest by the members of the network. Both Sarah & Martin have previously been chairs of the network and are both keen to see that staff issues are resolved and acted upon in a professional and supportive way.