I work at the University and I have recently been diagnosed with a disability.

How do I get an assessment for my needs?

You should discuss your change in circumstances with your line manager, or if this is not possible, your HR Business Partner will be able to advise you.

The University has an Occupational Health Service, which is in place to support employers and employees and create a safe and legally compliant working environment.

Your line manager or Human Resources Advisor/Business Partner can make a referral, with your permission, to attend an appointment with an Occupational Health Advisor.  More information can be found here: https://www.wlv.ac.uk/staff/services/humanresources/health-and-wellbeing/occupational-health/ 

Who would pay for any adaptions that I need for IT or work space?

Should the adaptation be considered as a reasonable adjustment, then the University will cover the cost.

If the help you need at work is not covered by reasonable adjustments (for example, it is financially not viable), you may be able to get help from Access to Work.

Access to Work offers support based on your needs, which may include a grant to help cover the costs of practical support in the workplace, including:

  • special equipment, adaptations or support worker services to help you do things like answer the phone or go to meetings
  • help getting to and from work

Appendix A provides some examples of how the costs under Access to Work would apply depending on different scenarios.

How can my work role change to adapt to my needs? And who do I discuss this with?

Your Line Manager or Human Resources Advisor/Business Partner will complete a form to refer you to Occupational for an assessment.

How can my work role change to adapt to my needs? And who do I discuss this with?

With Access to Work support, you can apply online directly at https://www.gov.uk/access-to-work/apply  Alternatively, you can apply by calling the Access to Work helplines available Monday to Friday 9am-5pm. Make sure you have all the necessary details with you when you call.

Access to Work helpline

Telephone: 0800 121 7479

Textphone: 0800 121 7579

Relay UK (if you cannot hear or speak on the phone): 18001 then 0800 121 7479

British Sign Language (BSL) video relay service

To use this you must first check you can use the service

Go to the video relay service

Additional support with completing any Access to Work application can be provided by the University’s Head of Equality and Diversity, Will Cooling.

How can my work role change to adapt to my needs? And who do I discuss this with?

At your Occupational Health meeting, the OH Advisor or Physician will discuss potential adaptations to your workspace or role.  A confidential report will then be sent on to your line manager and copied to your HR Business partner to consider any reasonable adjustments, as recommended by the OH advisor.

Below are examples of the sort of adjustments that may be possible to adapt to your needs:

  • reallocating work;
  • transfer to another post or another place of work;
  • flexibility to working hours;
  • providing training or retraining;
  • making instructions and manuals more accessible;

Any changes to your role or location will only take place with your consultation.