Changes to Packaged Food
Natasha’s Law comes into effect from 1st October 2021 and will require food businesses to provide full ingredient lists and allergen labelling on foods prepacked for direct sale (PPDS) on the premises. The changes follow the tragic death of teenager Natasha Ednan-Laperouse from an allergic reaction caused by a baguette which did not require allergen labelling.
Natasha’s Law is also known as The Food Information (Amendment) (England) Regulations 2019.
This amends the previous regulations, The Food Information Regulations 2014 currently in place.
The new labelling will help protect your consumers by providing potentially life-saving allergen information on the packaging. Any business that produces PPDS food will be required to label it with the name of the food and a full ingredients list, with allergenic ingredients emphasised within the list.
Prepacked for direct sale or PPDS is food which is packaged at the same place it is offered or sold to consumers and is in this packaging before it is ordered or selected. It can include food that consumers select themselves (e.g. from a display unit), as well as products kept behind a counter and some food sold at mobile or temporary outlets.
Some examples of PPDS food are:
- Sandwiches and bakery products which are packed on site before a consumer selects or orders them
- Fast food packed before it is ordered, such as a burger or sandwiches where the food cannot be altered without opening the packaging
- Products which are prepackaged on site ready for sale, such as pizzas, rotisserie chicken, salads and pasta pots
- Burgers and sausages prepackaged by a butcher on the premises ready for sale to consumers
- Samples of cookies given to consumers for free which were packed on site
- Foods packaged and then sold elsewhere by the same operator at a market stall or mobile site
- PPDS food provided in schools, care homes or hospitals and other similar settings will also require labelling
The university catering department has been fully trained and have implemented all of the required new regulations For more information please Email us at Catering@Wlv.ac.uk or speak to any of our catering team.