Terrific for twos



Upto 15 hours of free childcare may be available for your 2 year old if you claim one of the following benefits:

  • Income Support
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Income-based Jobseeksers Allowance
  • Child Tax credit (but not Working Tax Credit)- with income less than £16,190
  • Guaranteed element of State Pension Credit
  • Support through part 6 of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
  • Working Tax Credit 4-week run on (the payment you get when you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit)
  • Two-year-olds who are looked after by their local authority - if they have left care through special guardianship or through an adoption or residence order

How to claim Terrific for Twos


You can claim for upto 15 hours free childcare by contacting your local Children's Centre or Health Visitor.  They will complete the referral form on your behalf, notify you of the decision. If the child has been approved the Children's Centre will work with the family to arrange the nursery placement and offer any other support e.g. play in the home, parenting, training, education etc.

If you are not in receipt of the above benefits you may be referred by a Health Visitor, Family Support Worker, Social Worker, Children's Centre staff, or Nursery practitioner.  They will complete an assessment form with you.

For more information, check out this leaflet.