Information for Parents

Useful information and answers to frequently asked questions about going to university.

Key contacts

  • University contacts - admissions, course enquiries, security numbers and more 
  • - information from the UK government on all aspects of higher education and financial support for students
  • NUS - National Union of Students information about university life
  • UCAS - the Universities and Colleges Admissions Service, responsible for all university applications. Also publishes a guide for students on how to apply, as well as a guide for parents.

Frequently asked questions by topic

Information about degrees

What is the difference between a Bachelors, Masters and Postgraduate Higher degrees?

A Bachelors, or first degree, is an award for study of an undergraduate course which lasts three or four years. They fall into several categories dependent on area of study, such as Bachelors of Arts (BA), Bachelors of Science (BSc), Bachelors of Engineering (BEng) or Bachelors of Law (LLB). 

A Masters’ Degree is a one or two year course of study that is undertaken by someone who has completed a Bachelors’ degree and attained at least an upper second class (2:1). 

A Postgraduate Higher Degree, or PhD, is a commonly known as a Doctorate or Doctor of Philosophy.  The title of Philosophy does not refer solely to the modern field of philosophy, but is used in a broader sense in accordance with its original Greek meaning, which is "love of wisdom". A PhD is a three to four year course of study that is undertaken by someone with a undergraduate degree at upper second class (2:1) or above and, ideally, a Masters’ Degree.

What is the difference between an Ordinary Degree and an Honours Degree?

An ordinary degree is a degree without honours and is a minimum pass.  All other degree outcomes/classifications are awarded with Honours.

What are the outcomes/degree classification that can be gained from studying a degree?

  • First-class Honours (1st) is the highest degree awarded.  It is given in recognition of attaining an average mark of 70% or above in all assignments and exams.
  • Second-class Honours, upper division (2:1) is awarded to students who attain an average mark between 60% and 69% in assignments and exams.       
  • Second-class Honours, lower division (2:2) is granted to students who attain an average mark between 50% and 59% in assignments and exams.
  • Third-class Honours (3rd) is given to students who attain an average mark between 40% and 49% in assignment and exams.
  • Ordinary-Degree (Pass) is a basic pass and is awarded to honours degree students who do not complete an honours degree course to the very end but complete enough of it to earn a pass.

What is degree classification should my child/family member aim to achieve?

A degree at upper second (2:1) or first class (1st) is the ideal. Most employers, particularly employers advertising for graduate training programmes, will look for students with a 2:1 or 1st class honours degree. Also, a 2:1 or 1st is required at most universities for progression to Masters’ Degree and PhD. This is not to say that students with 2:2, third or ordinary degrees will not do well in employment. Having an amiable personality, a strong work ethos and being dedicated often helps people to progress in their chosen careers.


How does my child/family member make an application to study at the University of Wolverhampton?

What happens after my child/family member has made an application?

Once an application is submitted, how quickly will a decision be made?

The University of Wolverhampton provides comprehensive guidance on the application, decision making and offer process. It provides information on when and how applications should be made. It also includes details about happens after the University of Wolverhampton receives the application and information about the types of offers that might be made. 

Other information about making an application that might be useful:

My child/family member has not met the requirements of their offer?

This can be very distressing for both the student and their family. However, all is not lost. Have a look at  the information on how to use UCAS Extra. You can also apply for another course at the University of Wolverhampton, or another University, through clearing.

You can also keep up to date on clearing by following the University of Wolverhampton on Twitter.

Finance & living costs

What are the fees and costs to study at the University of Wolverhampton?

Visit our Money Matters pages for information on University of Wolverhampton fees and costs.

How expensive is accommodation at the University of Wolverhampton?

The University of Wolverhampton offers a range of accommodation options at all its campuses.  Further information on accommodation, options and costs can be found on the accommodation pages.

How can I find out about the bursaries and grants that my child is entitled to?

Financial support for undergraduate UK/home students, to help with fees and living costs, comes in the form of help from the University and help from the Government. Our support includes bursaries, scholarships and the Access to Learning Fund. Further information about undergraduate financial support.

How easily can students find part-time work?

The University of Wolverhampton provides support for student looking for employment through the Workplace. Whether students are looking for their first job after graduation or a part time job whilst they are studying the Workplace can help.  For more information visit the Workplace website.

University Life

What is Wolverhampton like?

The University of Wolverhampton is situated in the heart of the West Midlands. Wolverhampton is a vibrant and diverse city, with good transport links, places of worship for a range of different faith groups, a variety of local shops and a choice of social and entertainment venues. More information about the city, the University campuses and campus facilities

More information about the local area:

What is the University of Wolverhampton like?

The University of Wolverhampton is a friendly university, which is split over three campuses: City (Wolverhampton), Walsall and Telford. Each campus has excellent facilities, with state of the art technology, social learning spaces and 24hr learning resource access. Visit our virtual open day for more information.

University timetable

Do you have a plan of the academic year - i.e. when do lectures start? When are the vacations?

The university year is split into two semesters: September/October to mid-January and mid-January to June. Mid-June until September is the summer vacation period. The University also partially closes at Christmas and Easter. Each semester consists of teaching weeks, assessment weeks and feedback and advice week. More information about the term-time activities and vacation periods can be found in the Academic Calendar.   

When are the exams? When do the results come out?

Exams take place at the end of each semester. The exams for semester one take place in January and the results of those exams are available, a few weeks later, during the feedback and advice week. The exams for semester two take place in April and the end of year results are published in June. Further information can be found in the Academic Calendar

Further information on exams:


How can my child/ family member best prepare for starting University?

Visit our Welcome Week website for information on what you can do to prepare for starting university. There is also information on how to contact a mentor who will provide you with support as you prepare to start university and a friendly face on your first day on campus.

Is there an opportunity for students to get to know their classmates before starting the course?

During Welcome Week there will be ample opportunity to meet other students. Welcome Week provides a number of activities and entertainments to help students get to know the university, their school and other people studying at the University of Wolverhampton. 


How many hours per week should students allocate to their studies?

In general, students should expect to spend 40 hours per week on their studies, including contact time - such as attending lectures and seminars - preparation, writing assignments, revising and undertaking examinations.

What measures are in place to support students?

The Gateway at the University provides a number of support services for students both as they start university and throughout their studies. 

Other student support includes:

The University of Wolverhampton has a comprehensive study support

These include: