We are eager to help all our students, whatever their background and experience.
Skills for Learning
Helping students to develop the skills required for successful academic study, including:
- Academic skills: assignment planning, reading and note-taking, essay and report writing skills, using academic language, punctuation and grammar.
- Information and research skills: finding and managing information, locating academic sources, carrying out literature reviews, evaluating online resources, referencing, and avoiding plagiarism.
- Exam preparation: organising topics of study, creating a revision timetable, learning techniques for effective revision.
- Group working and presentations: working effectively in a team, communications skills, planning and delivering talks and presentations.
- IT skills: featuring self-help guides which include basic IT skills for beginners and advice on using Office software such as Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Outlook.
- Personal development planning (PDP): understanding reflection, reviewing skills and abilities, recording achievements, and tracking progress using the ePortfolio system PebblePAD.
The Skills for Learning service offers:
- A programme of workshops and drop-in skills support sessions
- Online skills resources including guides, tip sheets, and interactive materials and activities to support skills development
- Advice and support from experienced learning support staff
- Designated collections of study skills books in our Learning Centres
Visit Skills for Learning for more details.
The University also offers:
Combining face-face teaching with technological interactions, via:
- Canvas: our virtual learning environment.
- PebblePAD: enables you to record achievements, work collaboratively and share what you have achieved with prospective employers.
Support for international students
Including support for developing language skills, networking with others, coping with life in Britain, organising visas for study. International Centre.
Our Careers and Employment team can help students with CV building, application forms, career opportunities, and extracurricular activities.
Our Counselling service support students with a range of life skills including motivation, assertiveness, stress management.
We offer one of the most extensive wireless networks in UK higher education.