Nursing and midwifery student funding

Funding for NHS courses

Please note that from August 2017 students on Nursing, Midwifery and Allied Health Professions courses will need to apply for standard student funding rather than NHS support. Please visit for further information relating to residency and eligibility criteria.

Eligible students can apply for a tuition fee loan to cover the full cost of the fees

UK students can also get a maintenance loan towards their living costs. The exact amount depends on hosehold income and whether the student is living with parents or independently.

There are also additional grants for dependants, childcare (although these are extremely tightly means-tested against household income) and, if you have a disability, you can also apply for the Disabled Students' Allowance (DSA).

To apply complete the online application form at once it opens (normally the February BEFORE the course start date).

Additional funding from the NHS

Eligible students may be able to access the following:

    a non-repayable grant of £1,000 per year if they have child dependants

    support for excess travel and dual accommodation expenses incurred by attending practice placements.

More information can be found at

Please Note: All figures quoted above are for the 2017/18 academic year.