Financial support for students on benefits

Although most full-time students are not entitled to social security benefits, certain students in vulnerable groups (including single parents and disabled students) may be eligible for support.

Students who are eligible to receive means-tested benefits, such as Income Support, Housing Benefit or higher rate DLA, may be eligible for a higher rate of maintenance loan.

But note that some student income can still affect means-tested benefits. If you want to take a course of education, you should ask your local benefit office how this may affect your claim.

Also, visit the website for lots of useful information for benefits for students with low incomes. 

The website also has details on other benefits you may be able to claim the during your study, including:

  • Housing Benefit
  • Jobseeker's Allowance
  • Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Universal Credit

If you want any advice on benefits as a student then contact the Students' Union Advice and Support Centre for more detail.