University Technical Colleges
The Health Futures University Technical College (UTC)
The Health Futures University Technical College (UTC) opened in September 2015 to give young people the necessary skills for a career in healthcare and health science professions.
Serving the communities of Birmingham, the Black Country, Solihull and North Worcestershire, the UTC is sponsored by the University of Wolverhampton, the West Midlands Ambulance Service, and the Midcounties Co-operative Pharmacy, with 20 employer and educational partners including NHS Trusts.
Aimed at 14-19 year-olds, the UTC has a strong focus on science but covers a range of traditional subjects at GCSE and A-level, as well as practical and technical qualifications with a view to providing skills for careers in the NHS, health science or pharmaceutical industries.
Students are involved in employer-led technical challenges and regularly be tested through real-life scenarios, interactive study and the use of simulation technologies.
Science laboratories, a mock hospital ward and an immersive visualisation suite, are equipped to meet the needs of a diverse student population.
The unique education that the UTC offers equips young people with qualifications and life skills to help them succeed in any career or higher education choice they eventually make.
For more information please visit: www.healthfuturesutc.co.uk
The West Midlands UTC – increasing the employability of our young people
The West Midlands UTC opened in September 2014. It provides 14-19 year olds from Birmingham, the Black Country, Staffordshire and Shropshire with excellent, full-time, technical learning alongside five GCSEs including Maths and English. Specialising in construction and the application of IT in the built environment, the West Midlands UTC offers young people a fantastic opportunity to significantly boost their employability, offering young people:
- the opportunity to fast-track into the construction industry; through unrivalled progression routes into employment, Apprenticeships and higher education
- a significant advantage in the careers market – learning business, skills, technical skills and problem solving which will help them to develop into highly employable young professionals
- an education that makes them work-ready when they leave us. Operating from 8.30am to 5.00pm, replicating a working day, with technical projects delivered in real-life working environments, overseen by local employers
- unparalleled access to construction employers to ease their transition into work. Every learner will have their own employer mentor and will work alongside local businesspeople on technical projects on a curriculum that has been developed in partnership with the region’s largest construction firms
- a university-style campus, with exceptional teaching and sporting facilities to enable them to become well rounded and confident as well as academically and technically qualified.
For more information visit: westmidsutc.co.uk