Skip to main content

Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) Frequently Asked Questions

  • I have not yet done my online DBS application: what do I need to do?  First, refer to your e:Vision ‘my tasks’ page for the detailed requirements, then progress your payment (£40) via the University’s electronic payment system - Retain your receipt as this will contain your login details.  Refer back to your e:Vision ‘my tasks’ and continue with your on-line application as guided.  Once completed, you may progress to the Post Office for your Id check (£6); a list of available Post Offices can be viewed here.  Important information: to print off your Id verification sheet that an HD printer needs to be used.
  • What happens after this?  Your application is electronically submitted to the DBS in Liverpool for processing.  The process is not completed until you have been issued a DBS certificate.  This will be posted by the DBS to the address you used as your current address in the DBS application.  Please note: the University does not receive a copy of student’s DBS certificates.
  • How long does it take to get an Enhanced Disclosure?  Please note the University has no control over the length of time a disclosure application takes to complete. In certain cases, the DBS are not able to meet their 60 day target for a number of reasons. For example, if you have a common surname it can take time for the Police to distinguish between one person and another, especially if two people with the same name share the same date of birth. Other reasons for delay can be if the applicant has lived at several addresses in different areas of the country, or simply if your application is made at a particularly busy time of year.
  • How will I know when the process is complete?  Once the checks have been completed your Disclosure Certificate will be sent to the address you provided in your application. If you change address after you have submitted your form, you should make arrangements for the Disclosure to be redirected to your new address.  If there are no convictions or cautions listed you need take no further action. Do not contact us when you receive your Disclosure certificate, but keep it safe and remember the school, hospital or employer you undertake your placement with may ask you to produce it.
  • I am still waiting for my DBS certificate:is my place on the course at risk?  Your place on the course is only at risk if you have not completed, submitted and paid for your DBS application.  If this is with the DBS and is being processed (i.e. you have done everything you need to do), there is no threat to your place on the course.
  • I am still waiting for my DBS certificate: can I check its progress?  You can track your application online using the DBS’s Tracking Service or through the GBG on-line process as long as you ticked the box at ‘application overview’ stage.   The DBS produce one hard-copy DBS certificate by post to your home address (as was entered on the DBS application form).  The DBS will not send the hard-copy certificate to a different person or to a different address.  If you have not received your DBS certificates 15 days after the certificate issue date you can request a re-print by calling the DBS on 03000 200 190, option 1 to speak to a DBS representative.
  • Do I need to show the University my copy of the DBS certificate?  No. We receive electronic notification of your DBS result, unless you have a criminal record, in which case you need to provide us with sight of your original DBS certificate.  In addition, if you have declared offences to us, or if your DBS Disclosure shows offences or information from the police, there is a clearance process that has to be followed, so it may take a week or so for your situation to be finalise
  • I have recently moved/about to move house: what will happen to my certificate?  The DBS will only send your certificate to the address you have put as current in your DBS application–they do not have the facility to alter your address once they have received a DBS application.  It is therefore your responsibility to arrange to have your mail re-directed by Royal Mail for a period of time, or to have it sent on by someone/collect it where possible. 
  • Can I get a copy of my DBS certificate from you or from the DBS if I lose it? No–this is a common misunderstanding. The DBS will not issue copies, and nor can the University get another DBS certificate, you would have to apply again from the very beginning of the process.
  • How long does my DBS certificate remain valid for?  DBS certificates do not have any formal period of validity and do not expire. As a student, yours will cover you for the duration of your course unless you take a leave of absence for more than 12 months. In these events, you would have to apply for a new DBS certificate by contacting before you return, and pay the fees again.  If you are involved in any incidents of a criminal nature whilst on course, the University reserves the right to ask you to apply and pay for a new DBS certificate.
  • I already have a DBS Enhanced Disclosure certificate - can I reuse it?  If you already hold an enhanced disclosure certificate at the same level your course requires, and you have registered with the DBS Update Service then yes, you may be able to re-use it. You will be required to visit the Faculty Student Services Millennium City Building (MC125) at City Campus or the Samuel Johnson Building (WN301B) at Walsall Campus Monday-Friday between 08:45-16:30 with your original disclosure certificate and update reference number.
  • What if I receive a caution, reprimand or conviction after receiving a Disclosure certificate?  If you receive a caution, reprimand or conviction AFTER you have received an Enhanced Disclosure certificate, you must inform the University immediately by contacting – do not disclose any detail at this stage, we will contact you back upon receipt of your initial email. 
  • How do I join the DBS Update service?  There are two ways to join the Update service, which allows you to re-use your disclosure certificate. You can either join as soon as your application is submitted to the DBS using the application reference number (the F number on your application form), or alternatively join once you receive your certificate. If using the certificate, bear in mind you only have 19 days from the date on the certificate to join. Further details are on the DBS web pages here.
  • What do I need to do if I am an overseas applicant?  Whilst in your home country, you will need to apply for an in-country criminal records check or ‘certificate of good character’ for the period of time that you have lived abroad.  You will be required to present the original translated certificate/disclosure in person immediately upon arrival to the UK; further guidance is available via this link  You will then be required to undertake a UK check by following the on-line process in your e:Vision ‘my tasks’.