Frequently Asked Questions

What do I need to apply for BA (Hons) Interpreting BSL/English with Foundation Year?

For course entry requirements see course information for BA (Hons) Interpreting British Sign Language/English with Foundation Year. This is a four year course.

We expect you to have: 

  • an interest in the Deaf Community
  • an interest in British Sign Language
  • self-confidence and self-reliance
  • a pro-active approach towards learning and self-development.

What is the difference between Foundation year and Year 1 interpreting?

For Foundation Year (Level 3) students British Sign Language (BSL) fluency is not a pre-requisite for entry, however at Year 1 (Level 4), students are required to have an intermediate level of BSL.

Entry requirements for BA (Hons) Interpreting BSL/English

Where will I study?

The course is based at the University of Wolverhampton’s City Campus.

How will I be taught?

A range of learning and teaching methods will become familiar to you, including lectures, seminars, discussions and the use of audio-visual materials.  In addition, you will learn British Sign Language using interactive and innovative methods. You will also be encouraged to attend interpreted theatre performances and other cultural events.  Membership of the University Sign Language Society is also recommended. 

How will I be assessed?

There are a range of assessments from traditional essays and presentations to translations, role-plays, simulations, comprehensions and live one-to-one discourse (language modules).

Is there a work placement module during the course?

Students are strongly encouraged to engage in community activities and volunteering throughout the course. In addition Interpreting students will undertake a work placement module in semester 2 of their final year.  This is an opportunity to observe and apply learning in real world contexts.  It is also an opportunity to meet future employers and has led to job offers and opportunities for graduates.

Who will I be taught by?

The department has a range of experienced and qualified deaf and hearing lecturers who will teach across theory and language modules.

Can I work as a sign language interpreter when I graduate?

Upon graduation in order to work as a sign language interpreter you will be required to register with the professional body the NRCPD - The National Register of Communication Professionals working with Deaf and Deafblind people.

Depending on your result you may be eligible to register as a RSLI (1st class degree with a portfolio of evidence). Further study may be required upon graduating to become a full member of the Register (RSLI) – this could be via our postgraduate MA Interpreting part-time course.

Please go to the NRCPD website, click on the tab for 'Registering' and then 'Sign Language Interpreter' and you will find the above information there. If you have any queries in relation to the above information and your application to the course, please contact Sandra Pratt by email to .

Can I change if I don’t like my course?

Yes, if you feel that the course is not for you, it is important that you speak with a personal tutor who will advise you on other suitable routes e.g. Deaf Studies with another subject. The earlier this is done, the easier it is for the you to progress successfully

Can I get accreditation for prior experience and qualifications?

Yes, if you can show previous qualifications that meet the assessment outcomes.

Language certificates are valid for two years. If your BSL qualification is more than two years old then a skills assessment may need to be conducted.  For further information please contact the Admissions Tutor.