Our fantastic facilities are designed to provide you with the opportunity to use industry-standard equipment at every level of your course where you can work collaboratively in professional spaces. Our Black Box Theatre is a 200-seat facility with a full lighting rig featuring a range of intelligent lighting plus an Allen and Heath dLive C2500 sound desk.
Our range of rehearsal and performance studios feature sprung floors, mirrors and ballet barres; ideal for students on our dance and creative performance and musical theatre courses.
Many of our studios house lighting rigs which help both acting and theatre and digital production arts students practise the skills required to prepare for their industry.
For music, popular music and audio technology students, our live rooms and rehearsal spaces are fully-equipped with high quality pianos and a range of instruments and AV equipment.
The Performance Hub also boasts two large iMac labs, providing all the software you’ll need throughout your studies, plus two recording studios with SSL consoles and a 5:1 listening room. New for 2021: we’ll be opening our digital production arts workshop which houses the latest in 3D scanning and printing technology and fully-equipped make-up and prosthetics stations
The Performance Hub
The Performance Hub boasts exceptional teaching and learning facilities for music, dance, drama and musical theatre all under one roof, to support student learning at the highest level. The Hub also doubles up as a performance venue, with shows and independent cinema at the Black Box Theatre, and rehearsal rooms available for hire.
- The university is a Steinway School with pianos by Steinway, Boston and Essex in multiple rehearsal rooms located in the purpose-built Performance Hub.
- Two state-of-the-art recording studios based around SSL consoles (an AWS948 in Studio 1 and a Matrix2 in Studio 2), Avid HD interfaces, and outboard by Lexicon, SSL, Audient, Bricasti, Empirical Labs and Universal Audio.
- PMC monitoring in the studios - 5.1 surround in Studio 1 and stereo in Studio 2. A PMC 5.1 array in a dedicated listening room designed for laptop-based mixdown and mastering, with additional PMC monitoring in teaching spaces.
- Mac labs containing 60 iMacs running Pro Tools, Logic Pro, Sibelius, Pure Data, SuperCollider and several other pieces of specialist music and audio software.
- Performance students have access to five ensemble rooms, each with a full PA, as well as a full range of ethnic and percussion instruments.
- The Black Box theatre, a performance space containing an Allen and Health iLive console
- Those studying drama have access to all the latest performing arts technology, including studios with sprung and semi-sprung floors, editing suites and rehearsal spaces for smaller groups as well as the Hub’s very own Black Box Theatre which utilises a range of LED and intelligent lights to provide maximum performance flexibility.
- To broaden the integration of media and theatrical performance within drama, we have a range of digital projectors, plasma screens, Hard drive cameras, black magic live camera application hardware as well as some of the latest industry standard software. For pre and post production editing we have editing suites with the latest video and sound editing software.
- We offer state-of-the-art research facilities, including a new biomechanics laboratory furnished with the very latest technology including a force platform, motion analysis system, virtual daylight and air-conditioning providing dance students with a physical resource that will match any university in the UK.
- Drama and dance students also have access to Wolverhampton’s Arena Theatre – a professional touring venue where students can see a range of contemporary theatre productions as well as staging their own performances.