The Performance Hub boasts exceptional teaching and learning facilities for music, dance, drama and musical theatre all under one roof, to support student learning at the highest level. The Hub also doubles up as a performance venue, with shows and independent cinema at the Black Box Theatre, and rehearsal rooms available for hire.
- The university is a Steinway School with pianos by Steinway, Boston and Essex in multiple rehearsal rooms located in the purpose-built Performance Hub.
- Two state-of-the-art recording studios based around SSL consoles (an AWS948 in Studio 1 and a Matrix2 in Studio 2), Avid HD interfaces, and outboard by Lexicon, SSL, Audient, Bricasti, Empirical Labs and Universal Audio.
- PMC monitoring in the studios - 5.1 surround in Studio 1 and stereo in Studio 2. A PMC 5.1 array in a dedicated listening room designed for laptop-based mixdown and mastering, with additional PMC monitoring in teaching spaces.
- Mac labs containing 60 iMacs running Pro Tools, Logic Pro, Sibelius, Pure Data, SuperCollider and several other pieces of specialist music and audio software.
- Performance students have access to five ensemble rooms, each with a full PA, as well as a full range of ethnic and percussion instruments.
- The Black Box theatre, a performance space containing an Allen and Health iLive console
- Those studying drama have access to all the latest performing arts technology, including studios with sprung and semi-sprung floors, editing suites and rehearsal spaces for smaller groups as well as the Hub’s very own Black Box Theatre which utilises a range of LED and intelligent lights to provide maximum performance flexibility.
- To broaden the integration of media and theatrical performance within drama, we have a range of digital projectors, plasma screens, Hard drive cameras, black magic live camera application hardware as well as some of the latest industry standard software. For pre and post production editing we have editing suites with the latest video and sound editing software.
- We offer state-of-the-art research facilities, including a new biomechanics laboratory furnished with the very latest technology including a force platform, motion analysis system, virtual daylight and air-conditioning providing dance students with a physical resource that will match any university in the UK.
- Drama and dance students also have access to Wolverhampton’s Arena Theatre – a professional touring venue where students can see a range of contemporary theatre productions as well as staging their own performances.
You can take 360° tours of our Performance Hub via our Virtual Open Day https://www.wlv.ac.uk/virtual-open-day/walsall-tour