Publications from 2000 onwards.
1. Cowen RL, Williams JC, Emery S, Blakey D, Darling JL, Lowenstein PR, Castro MG. Adenovirus vector-mediated delivery of the prodrug-converting enzyme carboxypeptidase G2 in a secreted or GPI-anchored form: High-level expression of this active conditional cytotoxic enzyme at the plasma membrane. Cancer Gene Ther. 2002 Nov; 9(11): 897-907.
2. Darling JL, Thomas DG. Response of short-term cultures derived from human malignant glioma to aziridinylbenzoquinone, etoposide and doxorubicin: an in vitro phase II trial. Anticancer Drugs. 2001 Oct; 12(9): 753-60.
3. Darling JL, Thomas DG. Scintillation autofluorographic assessment of isotope uptake in human glioma cells grown on microtitration plates using sodium salicylate. Anticancer Drugs. 2000 Apr;11(4): 243-8.
4. Guo X, Goessl E, Jin G, Collie-Duguid ES, Cassidy J, Wang W, O'Brien V. Cell-cycle perturbation and acquired 5-fluorouracil chemoresistance. Anticancer Res. 2008 Jan-Feb; 28(1A):9-14.
5. Guo X, Evans TR, Somanath S, Armesilla AL, Darling JL, Schatzlein A, Cassidy J, Wang W. In vitro evaluation of cancer-specific NF-kappaB-CEA enhancer-promoter system for 5-fluorouracil prodrug gene therapy in colon cancer cell lines. Br J Cancer. 2007 Sep 17; 97(6): 745-54.
6. Guo X, Xu B, Pandey S, Goessl E, Brown J, Armesilla AL, Darling JL, Wang W. Disulfiram/copper complex inhibiting NFkappaB activity and potentiating cytotoxic effect of gemcitabine on colon and breast cancer cell lines. Cancer Lett. 2010 Apr 1; 290(1):104-13.
7. Karakoula A, Evans MD, Podmore ID, Hutchinson PE, Lunec J, Cooke MS. Quantification of UVR-induced DNA damage: global- versus gene-specific levels of thymine dimers. J Immunol Methods. 2003 Jun 1; 277(1-2):27-37.
8. Karakoula A, Tovey SC, Brighton PJ, Willars GB. Lack of receptor-selective effects of either RGS2, RGS3 or RGS4 on muscarinic M3- and gonadotropin-releasing hormone receptor-mediated signalling through G alpha q/11. Eur J Pharmacol. 2008 Jun 10; 587(1-3):16-24.
9. Karakoula K, Suarez-Merino B, Ward S, Phipps KP, Harkness W, Hayward R, Thompson D, Jacques TS, Harding B, Beck J, Thomas DG, Warr TJ. Real-time quantitative PCR analysis of pediatric ependymomas identifies novel candidate genes including TPR at 1q25 and CHIBBY at 22q12-q13. Genes Chromosomes Cancer. 2008 Nov; 47 (11):1005-22.
10. Knizetova P, Darling JL, Bartek J. Vascular endothelial growth factor in astroglioma stem cell biology and response to therapy. J Cell Mol Med. 2008 Jan-Feb; 12(1):111-25.
11. Lewandowicz GM, Harding B, Harkness W, Hayward R, Thomas DG, Darling JL. Chemosensitivity in childhood brain tumours in vitro: evidence of differential sensitivity to lomustine (CCNU) and vincristine. Eur J Cancer. 2000 Oct; 36(15):1955-64.
12. Lunec J, Halligan E, Mistry N, Karakoula K. Effect of vitamin E on gene expression changes in diet-related carcinogenesis. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2004 Dec; 1031:169-83.
13. Maleniak TC, Darling JL, Lowenstein PR, Castro MG. Adenovirus-mediated expression of HSV1-TK or Fas ligand induces cell death in primary human glioma-derived cell cultures that are resistant to the chemotherapeutic agent CCNU. Cancer Gene Ther. 2001 Aug; 8(8):589-98.
14. Parry EM, Parry JM, Corso C, Doherty A, Haddad F, Hermine TF, Johnson G, Kayani M, Quick E, Warr T, Williamson J. Detection and characterization of mechanisms of action of aneugenic chemicals. Mutagenesis. 2002 Nov; 17(6):509-21.
15. Petch AK, Sohail M, Hughes MD, Benter I, Darling J, Southern EM, Akhtar S. Messenger RNA expression profiling of genes involved in epidermal growth factor receptor signalling in human cancer cells treated with scanning array-designed antisense oligonucleotides. Biochem Pharmacol. 2003 Sep 1;66 (5):819-30.
16. Potter N, Karakoula A, Phipps KP, Harkness W, Hayward R, Thompson DN, Jacques TS, Harding B, Thomas DG, Palmer RW, Rees J, Darling J, Warr TJ. Genomic deletions correlate with underexpression of novel candidate genes at six loci in pediatric pilocytic astrocytoma. Neoplasia. 2008 Aug; 10(8):757-72.
17. Potter NE, Phipps K, Harkness W, Hayward R, Thompson D, Jacques TS, Harding B, Thomas DG, Rees J, Darling JL, Warr TJ. Astrocytoma derived short-term cell cultures retain molecular signatures characteristic of the tumour in situ. Exp Cell Res. 2009 Oct 1; 315(16):2835-46.
18. Rowther FB, Richardson A, Clayton RN, Farrell WE. Bromocriptine and Dopamine Mediate Independent and Synergistic Apoptotic Pathways in Pituitary Cells. Neuroendocrinology. 2010 Jan 29. [Epub ahead of print].
19. Rowther FB, Rodrigues C, Mehta AP, Deshmukh MS, Kapadia FN, Hegde A, Joshi VR. An improved method of elimination of DNA from PCR reagents. Mol Diagn. 2005; 9(2):53-7.
20. Rowther FB, Rodrigues CS, Deshmukh MS, Kapadia FN, Hegde A, Mehta AP, Joshi VR. Prospective comparison of eubacterial PCR and measurement of procalcitonin levels with blood culture for diagnosing septicemia in intensive care unit patients. J Clin Microbiol. 2009 Sep; 47(9):2964-9.
21. Suarez-Merino B, Hubank M, Revesz T, Harkness W, Hayward R, Thompson D, Darling JL, Thomas DG, Warr TJ. Microarray analysis of pediatric ependymoma identifies a cluster of 112 candidate genes including four transcripts at 22q12.1-q13.3. Neuro Oncol. 2005 Jan;7(1):20-31.
22. Ward S, Harding B, Wilkins P, Harkness W, Hayward R, Darling JL, Thomas DG, Warr T. Gain of 1q and loss of 22 are the most common changes detected by comparative genomic hybridisation in paediatric ependymoma. Genes Chromosomes Cancer. 2001 Sep; 32(1):59-66.
23. Ward SJ, Karakoula K, Phipps KP, Harkness W, Hayward R, Thompson D, Jacques TS, Harding B, Darling JL, Thomas DG, Warr TJ. Cytogenetic analysis of paediatric astrocytoma using comparative genomic hybridisation and fluorescence in-situ hybridisation. J Neurooncol. 2010 Jan 6. [Epub ahead of print]
24. Warr T, Ward S, Burrows J, Harding B, Wilkins P, Harkness W, Hayward R, Darling J, Thomas D. Identification of extensive genomic loss and gain by comparative genomic hybridisation in malignant astrocytoma in children and young adults. Genes Chromosomes Cancer. 2001 May;31(1):15-22.
25. Xu B, Guo X, Mathew S, Armesilla AL, Cassidy J, Darling JL, Wang W. Triptolide simultaneously induces reactive oxygen species, inhibits NF-kappaB activity and sensitizes 5-fluorouracil in colorectal cancer cell lines. Cancer Lett. 2009 Nov 9. [Epub ahead of print].
1. Darling JL Molecular pathology of brain tumours - How will molecular and cell biology contribute to improved outcomes in patients with malignant brain tumours? Biomed Papers Medical Faculty Palacky University Olomouc Czech Republic 150: Suppl 1 20-22 2006
2. Darling JL Drug resistance in malignant brain tumours In: The molecular and cellular pathology of cancer progression and prognosis ed GV Sherbet Research Signpost Trivandrum 409-430 2006
3. Darling JL Cellular mechanisms behind therapeutic resistance MIMS Advances in Neuro-oncology Issue 2: 2-5 2005
4. Darling JL In vitro culture of malignant brain tumours In: Culture of tumour cells eds R Pfragner and RI Freshney John Wiley and Sons Ltd New York 349-372 2004
5. Warr, TJ The role of apoptosis in chemoresistance. MIMS Advances in Neuro-oncology 3: 6-8 2005
1. Yip NC Fombon IS Liu P Armesilla AL Brown S Cassidy J Darling JL and Wang W Simultaneously tackling NFkB and JNK pathways to sensitise breast cancer cell lines to conventional anticancer drugs Proceedings of the American Association for Cancer Research Annual Meeting 2010
2. Brown S Liu P Goktug T Darling JL and Wang W Disulfiram sensitized cytotoxicity of gemcitabine in human glioblasoma cell lines Proceedings of the American Association for Cancer Research Annual Meeting 2010
3. Brown S Liu P Goktug T Darling JL and Wang W Simultaneously modulating NFkB and JNK pathways to improve cytotoxicity of conventional anticancer drugs to glioblastoma multiforme cells Neuro-oncology in press 2010
4. Goessel E Wang W Darling JL The effect of the telomerase inhibitor MST-312 on the chemo-sensitivity of glioblastoma cells in vitro Neuro-oncology in press 2010
5. Karakoula K, Bigner D, Keir S, Thomas DGT, Darling J and Warr T Genetic profiling in tumour xenografts from paediatric brain tumours by expression and high resolution comparative genomic hybridisation microarrays Neuro-oncology in press 2010
6. Potter N Ashmore SM Ward S Luxsuwong M Suarez-Merino B Karakoula K Thomas DGT Darling JL Warr TJ Resistance to chemotherapeutic agenst is associated with differential expression of apoptosis genes in GBM cell cultures Neuro-oncology in press 2010
7. Brown S Wang W Darling JL Combination treatment of glioblastoma multiforme cell lines with disulfiram and copper may increase their sensitivity to conventionally used chemotherapeutic drugs by blocking NFĸB activity and increasing levels of intracellular reactive oxygen species Br J Neurosurg 23: 641-651 2009
8. Goessl E Wang Darling JL Telomerase and chemosensitivity in glioblastoma multiforme Br J Neurosurg 23: 641-651 2009
9. Brown D Brown S Darling JL The expression of platelet-derived growth factor receptors in glioblastoma multiforme (GBM) cells in vitro. Br J Neurosurg 23: 641-651 2009
10. Brown S Wang W and Darling JL Combination treatment of glioblastoma multiforme (GBM) in vitro with disulfiram and copper increases sensitivity to cytotoxic drugs by blocking NFkB activity and increasing levels of intracellular reactive oxygen species (ROS) Neuro-oncology 11: 592 2009
11. Darling JL Brown S and Knizetova P CD133 positive cells are stably entrapped in short-term cell lines derived from malignant astrocytoma and contribute to chemoresistance Neuro-oncology 11: 229 2009
12. Potter N Ward S Karakoula K Poh R Suarez-Merino B Phipps K Harkness W Hayward R Thompson D Jacques TS Harding B Thomas DGT Palmer R Rees J Darling J Warr T Cytogenetic and microarray analysis of paediatric astrocytoma Digital Scientific UK User Group Meeting Peterhouse College Cambridge October 2008
13. Brown D Brown S Darling JL The expression and localization of platlet-derived growth factor (PDGF) receptors in glioblastoma multiforme (GBM) cells in vitro Br J Neurosurg 22: 315-316 2008
14. Brown S Guo X Wang W Darling JL NFkB modulates drug sensitivity in short-term cell lines derived from glioblastoma multiforme Br J Neurosurg 22: 316 2008
15. Goessl E Wang W Darling J Telomerase status in glioblastoma cell lines Br J Neurosurg 22: 319 2008
16. K Karakoula, N Potter, S Keir, D Bigner, K Phipps, W Harkness, R Hayward, D Thompson, T Jacques, B Harding, D Thomas and T Warr. Genetic profiling in a paediatric glioblastoma by expression and high resolution CGH microarrays. Br J Neurosurgery 22: 321 2008
17. Potter N Thomas DGT Darling J and Warr T Distinct intra-tumour cell populations with different genomic abnormalities are present in an adult GBM cell culture Br J Neurosurg 22: 325 2008
18. Wootton V Brown D Darling J Nicholl I and Brown S Mutation analysis of PTEN in glioblastoma multiforme cells in vitro Br J Neurosurg 22: 329 2008
19. Darling JL A Scientific Viewpoint Samantha Dickson Brain Tumour Trust Newsletter, Issue 5 2008
20. Guo XX Evans TRJ Armesilla AL Darling JL Schatzlein A, Cassidy J Wang W In vitro evaluation of cancer-specific NF-kappa B-CEA enhancer-promoter system for gene-directed enzyme prodrug therapy in colon cancer cell lines Human Gene Therapy 18: 1006 2007
21. Ashmore SM Warr TJ Karakoula K Ward S Suarez-Merino B Brown S Luxsuwong M Warren P Thomas DGT and Darling JL p53 status as a molecular determinant of chemosensitivity in short-term cultures derived from malignant astrocytoma Neuro-oncology 9: 488, 2007
22. Kumar JM Darling JL and Howl J The use of quantum dot nanoparticles conjugated to cell penetrant poly-arginine peptides as drug-delivery vehicles to malignant astrocytoma British Neuro-oncology Annual Meeting, Portsmouth 2007
23. Brown S and Darling JL The isolation and characterization of stem-like cells from a panel of short-term cell lines derived from glioblastoma multiforme (GBM) British Neuro-oncology Annual Meeting, Portsmouth 2007
24. Karakoula A, B. Suarez-Merino, S. Ward, K. Philipps, W. Harkness, R. Hayward, D. Thompson, T. Jacques, B. Harding, D.G.T. Thomas and T.J. Warr Real-time Q-PCR identifies potential predictive markers in paediatric intracranial ependymoma including TPR at1q25 and Rac2 at 22q13. British Neuro-oncology Annual Meeting, Portsmouth 2007
25. Karakoula A, H. Dafni, K. Philipps, W. Harkness, R. Hayward, D. Thompson, T. Jacques, B. Harding, D.G.T. Thomas and T.J. Warr Pharmalogical unmasking of epigenetically silenced tumour suppressor genes in paediatric ependymoma. British Neuro-oncology Annual Meeting, Portsmouth 2007
26. Potter N, R. Poh, S. Ward, W. Harkness, R. Hayward, D. Thompson, K. Phipps, T. Jacques, B. Harding, J.Rees, D. Thomas J. Darling & T. Warr Combined genomic and expression microarray analysis of paediatric astrocytoma. British Neuro-oncology Annual Meeting, Portsmouth 2007
27. Brown S and Darling JL Stem-like cells are stably entrapped within both established cell lines and short-term cultures derived from glioblastoma multiforme (GBM) European Society for Animal Cell Technology, St Neots abstracts 2007
28. Mall JK Darling J Patel B and Howl J Cell penetrating nanoparticles for fluorescent imaging and therapeutic applications J Peptide Sci 12: 236 2006
29. Karakoula A, B. Suarez-Merino, S. Ward, K. Philipps, W. Harkness, R. Hayward, D. Thompson, D.G.T. Thomas and T.J. Warr Analysis of 1q gain and 22 loss in paediatric ependymoma by real-time quantitative PCR. Neuro-Oncology 8: 468 2006
30. Potter N Poh R Ward S Phipps K Hayward R Harkness D Thompson D Thomas DGT Rees J Darling J and Warr T Abnormal gene expression can be linked to chromosomal gains and losses in paediatric astrocytoma Neuro-oncology 8: 468 2006
31. Potter N, R. Poh, S. Ward, B. Suarez-Merino, W. Harkness, R. Hayward, D. Thompson, K. Phipps, J.Rees, D. Thomas and Warr T Genes that promote cell growth are aberrantly expressed in pilocytic astrocytoma Neuro-Oncology 7: 364 2005
32. Suárez-Merino B, Harkness W, Hayward R, Thompson D, Phipps K, Thomas DGT and Warr T Real-time quantitative PCR reveals loss at 22q12.3-13.3 in two-thirds of paediatric ependymoma and defines a minimum deletion of 3.4Mb. Neuro-Oncology 7: 367 2005
33. Warr T Poh R Suarez-Merino B Ward S Warren P Darling J and Thomas D MGMT methylation status and expression level do not correlate with sensitivity to CCNU in short-term cultures derived from malignant astrocytoma Neuro-oncology 7: 360 2005
34. Nelson P Smith R Conde G Roden D and Darling J Development and application of RT-PCR systems to determine HERV expression in astrocytoma cell lines Neuro-oncology 7: 325 2005
35. Brown J Darling J Dunmore S and Bassy S Regulation of uncoupling protein-2 (UCP-2) expression in human glioma cells by peroxisome proliferators-activated receptor (PPAR) agonists Neuro-oncology 7: 296 2005
36. Suarez-Merino B Hubank M Hayward R Harkness W Thompson D Phipps K Revesz T Darling J Thomas D and Warr T Identification of differentially expressed genes in paediatric ependymoma Neuro-oncology 5: 399 2003
37. Warr T Idowu M Suarez-Merino B Ward S Harkness W Hayward R Thompson D Darling J and Thomas D TP53 mutation is infrequent in aneuploid choroid plexus tumours Neuro-oncology 5: 70 2003
38. Ward S Hayward R Harkness W Phipps K Thompson D Harding B Wilkins P Darling J Thomas D and Warr T Correlation of copy number aberrations with clinico-pathological criteria in paediatric glial tumours Neuro-oncology 5: 69 2003
39. Suarez-Merino B Hubank M Hayward R Harkness W Thompson D Phipps K Revesz T Darling J Thomas D and Warr T Expression profiling in ependymoma reveals differences between benign and anaplastic ependymoma Neuro-oncology 5: 65 2003
40. Warr T Ward S Idowu M Gregory S Darling J and Thomas D Spectrum of copy number changes in low grade paediatric brain tumours detected by comparative genomic hybdidisation Neuro-oncology 3: 310 2001
41. Luxsuwong M Warr TJ Thomas DGT Revesz T and Darling JL The spectrum of p53 alterations which occur in sequential biopsies in patients with progressive or recurrent astrocytoma Neuro-Oncology 3: Suppl 1 99 2001
42. Finn P Warr TJ Darling JL Phipps K Harkness W Hayward R Thomas DGT Spectrum of genetic losses in medulloblastoma and association of loss of 16q with length of survival Neuro-Oncology 3: Suppl 1 46 2001
43. Warr, T, Ward, S, Idowu, M, Gregory, S, Darling J, and Thomas DGT (2001) Spectrum of copy number changes in low grade paediatric brain tumours detected by comparative genomic hybridisation. Neuro-Oncology 3: 310 2001.