Led by: Professor Kevin Kibble
The activities of the group encompass:
- Materials engineering: Optimising material:s, maraging steels manufactured by direct metal laser sintering and thermoplastic elastomers (TPEs) containing fire retardants
- Rapid Manufacturing: high pressure zinc casting, lead time reduction for the manufacture of zinc die castings,.
- Simulation: finite element simulation of residual stresses and shrinkage in rapid manufactured parts.
- Biomechanics: dynamic simulation of total knee replacement, numerical analysis of femur resurfacing component, measurement of three-dimensional back shape
- Metal Forming: simulating the UltraSTEELTM surface dimpling process, surface finish on brake drums