The Editorial Board will consider the following types of submissions:
- Original research papers: these will report the results of original research, including service evaluation. The text is limited to 2,000 to 3,000 words with a structured Abstract of no more than 300 words and a maximum of 4 tables and figures
- Short communications: these include conference reports, pilot projects and undergraduate or postgraduate student research. The text is limited to 1,000 words with a structured Abstract of no more than 150 words. A maximum of 2 tables and figures can be included
- Review articles: critical reviews on topics affecting health and social care are welcomed. The text is limited to 5,000 words, with a structured Abstract of no more than 300 words. Authors of reviews should contact the Editorial Board at FEHWjhsci@wlv.ac.uk before writing a review
- Opinion pieces/personal views: These are invited or uninvited commentaries on relevant topics that affect health and social care. The text is limited to 1,000 words
Click to download pdf Guidelines for Authors (PDF).
As an e-journal, JHSCI can only accept material submitted as electronic files. Manuscripts should be prepared using Microsoft Word (file extension doc. or dox.) in single spaced format using Arial 12 point font. Margins should be 2.5cm. There should be no other stylized text or graphics.
All submitted manuscripts must include the following author details on a separate page:
Name of author(s), qualifications, post title, name of organisation, faculty/institute/research centre, address for correspondence, email address, daytime telephone and fax numbers.
The corresponding author should be identified and must give an up-to-date email address.
A full, but succinct (no more than 10 words) title should be provided together with a maximum of 6 key words (ideally using Medical Subject Headings - MESH - from EMBASE/Medline).
All manuscripts (except opinion pieces) must have a structured Abstract and, where appropriate, should be divided into sections using conventional headings: Introduction/Background; Methods; Results; Discussion; Conclusions; Recommendations.
The use of bullet points and text boxes is encouraged as action indicators for readers.
The Editor will use their discretion in making a decision about pieces which do not follow this format, but which meet the aims of the journal.
Tables and figures
Tables and figures should be numbered consecutively and submitted as separate documents. Please indicate in the text of the manuscript the approximate location for each table and figure, e.g., [locate Table 1 here]. Ensure that when files are viewed at 400% there is no blurring or pixilation.
The transfer of copyright is standard practice in publishing and is designed to facilitate the protection from copyright abuse for authors, editors, and publishers. An author's assignment of copyright also signifies their agreement to the article’s storage electronically or digitally. We aim to ensure that any request to reprint an author's work or a part of it, e.g., figures or tables, in another publication is approved by the author prior to any permission being given. Nothing in the copyright agreement is intended to restrict an author's rights and as such, you retain several rights and these are retained and permitted without the need to obtain specific permission from the JHSCI Editor. These include:
- The right to make your own copies (print or electric) of the article for your own personal use
- The right to present the article at a meeting or conference, or use as lecture notes and to distribute copies of this article to the delegates/students who attend the meeting/lecture
- The right to make copies and distribute these (including via e-mail) to colleagues
- The right to include the article, either in full or in part, in a thesis or dissertation
- The right to prepare other derivative works which the author acts as editor or author or to re-use sections in other works, citing JHSCI as the original source of publication
If the paper is not published in the Journal, the rights revert to the author(s) as original copyright holder(s).
Authors should also include the following copyright statements along with the text of their article:
- I/We confirm that my/our work is original, that I/we havenot published this article previously and it is not under consideration by another journal
- I/We have consulted any co-authors and where I/we have used the work or words of others I/we have secured the necessary permission for use
All manuscripts should be prepared using the Harvard referencing style guide of the University of Wolverhampton. Authors are responsible for checking the accuracy and inclusion of all cited references.
Please use the generic name of medicines cited in the article. Brand names can be used but in parentheses following the generic name.
Manuscripts should be sent as an email attachment (Microsoft Word 2003 or higher) to FEHWjhsci@wlv.ac.uk. Receipt of your submission will be via email.
All material must be submitted exclusively to JHSCI, and is accepted on the understanding and condition that it has not been, and will not be, submitted elsewhere during the peer-review process and without approval of the Editor-in-Chief.
All submissions will be subject to strict peer review processes with reviewers drawn randomly from the journal’s current bank of multi-disciplinary reviewers.
What happens next?
Following the peer review process, you will be sent an e-mail detailing the reviewers’ comments and informing you of the decision of the Editor. Possible outcomes are:
- Publish outright with no corrections/amendments required
- Slight amendments for Editor’s approval
- Major revisions required, subject to second peer-review with independent reviewers
- Reject, no resubmission permitted
Reasons for rejection may be that the subject of the submission does not fall within the remit of the Journal or that the academic and/or intellectual content is deemed to be not of high enough standard for publication.
The Editor’s decision is final.
Click to download pdf Guidelines for Authors (PDF).