Dr Richard Glover
|Name||Dr Richard Glover|
|Job Title||Reader in Music|
|School||School of Performing Arts|
Richard has a wide range of experience as a performer, composer and writer in many different areas of music, from experimental and contemporary music to Jazz, electronic and pop. As an educator he has taught at various HE and FE institutions, covering composition and computer composition, musicology, performance interpretation and study skills.
As a composer he has received performances internationally from ensembles based in the UK, Europe and North America, and his portrait cd Logical Harmonies was released in late 2013 to widespread national and international acclaim. He writes and presents on issues relating to contemporary and experimental musics, and in particular the auditory and temporal experience of sustained tone and process music.
6MU012 Popular Music History: Untold Stories
4MU010 Music Theory
5MU010 Invention and Creativity in Music
6MU007 Contemporary Ensemble
5SW001 Research, Interpretation and Analysis
7MU006 Artistic and Commercial Profile
7SW003 Professional Practice
Research cluster leader
School Income Generation Champion
PhD in Composition, University of Huddersfield. 2005-2010.
MA in Composition (Distinction), University of Huddersfield. 2003-2004.
BSc (Hons) Electronic Music (2:1), University of Hertfordshire. 1999-2002.
- August 2013 - July 2014: Lecturer in Composition, Centre for Research in New Music, University of Huddersfield.
- August 2011 - August 2013: Research Fellow, Centre for Research in New Music, University of Huddersfield.
- October 2007 - July 2011: Associate Lecturer in Music, Music Technology and Popular Music, University of Huddersfield.
- September 2010 - December 2011: Musicianship tutor, Leeds College of Music.
- September 2009 - July 2010: Composition tutor at Huddersfield New College.
- • Composition
- • Experimental music
- • Contemporary music
- • Minimalism and reductionism
- • Psychoacoustics, perception and cognition
- • Experimental approaches to notation
- • Microtonality and tuning systems
- • Minimal and process visual art
- • Contemporary performance practice
- Glover, R. and Harrison, B. Being Time: The Temporal Experience of Experimental Music. London: Bloomsbury (due for publication summer 2016).
- Glover, R. ‘Tuning Systems as Processual Material’.Proceedings of the Beyond Pythagoras symposium,University of Huddersfield (due for publication Spring 2015).
- Glover, R. and Harrison, B. (2013) Overcoming Form: reflections on immersive listening. Huddersfield: University of Huddersfield Press. ISBN 978-1-86218-120-5.
- Glover, R. (2013) Logical Harmonies [Portrait cd with the label 'Another Timbre']. AT66.
- Cassidy, A., Weeks, J., Harrison, B., Chase, S., Bailie, J., Glover, R. and Molitor, C. (2013) Exposure [Corradiation sung by EXAUDI]. HCR06CD.
- Glover, R. (2013) ʻPhill Niblock: Identity through instabilityʼ. Phill Niblock: Working Title. Dijon, France: Les presses du réel. ISBN 9782840664239.
- Glover, R. (2013) 'Minimalism, Technology and Electronic Music'. Ashgate Research Companion to Minimalist and Post-Minimalist Music. Farnham: Ashgate. ISBN 978-1-4724- 0278-3.
- Glover, R. (2012) Introduction: Temporality in Contemporary Musics. Divergence Journal, ed. Richard Glover (3) accessible at http://divergencepress.com/Journal/JournalIssue/tabid/85/articleType/CategoryView/categoryI d/1/Issue-1-March-2013.aspx
- Glover, R. (2012) ʻSustained Tones and the Auditory Experienceʼ Leonardo Music Journal , 22 (22), pp. 56-57. ISSN 0961-1215.
- Glover, R. (2012) ʻThe Experience of Sustained Tone Musicʼ. Proceedings of the 12th International Conference on Music Perception and Cognition (ICMPC) and 8th Triennial Conference of the European Society for the Cognitive Sciences of Music (ESCOM). ISBN 960-99854-1-7.
- Glover, R. (2012) 'The experience of sustained tone music'. ICMPC-ESCOM Book of Abstracts. Thessaloniki: Aristotle University of Thessaloniki. pp. 122-123. ISBN 960998451-7.
- Glover, R. (2012) ʻPhill Niblock: Identity through instabilityʼ MusikTexte , 132. ISSN 0178-8884.
- Glover, R. (2010) Michael Pisaroʼs pi and numerical representation. CeReNeM Journal (1).
- Glover, R. (2010) ‘The compositional use of numerals in music notation’. Music and Numbers 2010 Conference Proceedings. Canterbury: Canterbury Christchurch University. ISBN 978-1- 899253-76-0.
- Glover, R. Compositions for a Low Tide (collaboration with artist Louisa Fairclough, performed by Rochester Cathedral Choristers, Whitstable, May 2014 - Whitstable Biennale commission).
- Glover, R. Organ Harmonies (performed by Lauren Redhead for her Sound and Music Organ and Electronics tour in London and Leicester, March 2014 - Sound and Music commission).
- Glover, R. Elements on diverging pitch lines (performed by Ensemble Dedalus, Montpellier, France, December 2012 - Ensemble Dedalus commission).
- Glover, R. Progress (performed by Set Ensemble, Meantime Gallery, Cheltenham, December 2013 - Set Ensemble/Meantime commission).
- Glover, R. Contracting Triads in Temperaments from 12-24 (performed by Bob Gilmore for the Logical Harmonies cd - Trio Scordatura commission).
- Glover, R. Chords and Transformations (performed by Mira Benjamin, London, July 2013 - Music Weʼd Like To Hear commission).
- Glover, R. Ascending/descending scale with piano accompaniment (performed by ∆Tent, Toronto, May 2013 - ∆Tent commission).
- Glover, R. Beatings in a Linear Process (performed by Ensemble Portmanto, Montreal, July 2012 - nu:nord commission).
- Glover, R. Seventh Inversions (performed by Quatuor Bozzini, Montreal, May 2011 - hcmf commission).
- Glover, R. Malkans (performed by the BBC Concert Orchestra, Royal Festival Hall, London, June 2009 - BBC CO/spnm commission).
- Glover, R. Gradual Music (composition performed by musikFabrik, Huddersfield, November 2009 - hcmf commission).
- Glover, R. Sound Unbroken (performed by Birmingham Contemporary Music Group, Birmingham, September 2008 - BCMG/Leverhulme commission).
- Glover, R. Black Space (performed by Ruth Wall as part of the spnm Solo Spotlights series, London, May 2007 - spnm commission).
- Glover, R. The temporal experience of experimental minimal musics, Sonic Fusion Symposium, 3 April 2014, University of Salford.
- Glover, R. Tuning Systems as Processual Material, Beyond Pythagoras symposium, 22-23 March 2014, University of Huddersfield.
- Glover, R. and Harrison, B. Memory and trace in minimal experimental music. Time and Trace: 15th Triennial Conference of the International Society for the Study of Time, 30 June - 6 July 2013, Orthodox Academy of Crete, Greece.
- Glover, R. and Harrison, B. Phenomenology and temporality in the composition of experimental minimal music. Philosophy and Music Conference: Time Theories and Music, 27-29 April 2012, Ionian University, Corfu, Greece.
- Glover, R. The use of grid structures in contemporary notational practice. Time Stands Still: Notation in Musical Practice, 5-6 April 2013, Wesleyan University, Connecticut, USA.
- Glover, R. Approaches to microtonality in my own music. EUROMicroFest, 2-3 Feb 2013, Kunsthochschule für Medien, Köln.
- Glover, R. Phill Niblock through the Ages. Gender, Musical Creativity and Age MuGI conference, 6-7 October 2012, University of Huddersfield.
- Glover, R. The experience of sustained tone music. ICMPC-ESCOM 2012 Joint Conference, 23-28 July 2012, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki.
- Glover, R. Phenomenology and temporality in the composition of experimental minimal
music. Philosophy and Music Conference: Time Theories and Music, 27-29 April 2012, Ionian University, Corfu, Greece.
- Glover, R. Influences of sustained tone minimalism in my recent music. Third International Conference on Music and Minimalism, 12-15 October 2011, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium.
- Glover, R. The evolution of notation in sustained tone music. INTIME2011 Symposium: Interrogations into Music Experimentation, 24-25 September 2011, University of Coventry.
- Glover, R. Pitch specificity in text scores. Word Event: a verbal notation symposium, 21 September 2011, Bath Spa University.
- Glover, R. The use of numerals in experimental notation. Music and Numbers Conference 2010, 14-15 May 2010, Canterbury Christ Church University.
- Glover, R. The Compositional Use of Numerals in Music Notation. Off the Staves: Writing Music Before and After Conventional Notation, 26-27 March 2010, University of Bangor.
- Glover, R. Phill Niblock and identity in reductionism. Second International Conference on Minimalist Music , 2-6 September 2009, University of Missouri, Kansas, USA.
- Committee member and Newsletter editor of the Society for Minimalist Music
- Co-founder and committee member of the RMA Study Group ‘Music and/as Process’
- British Council travel scholarship to attend the premiere of a new work for Ensemble Portmanto, Montreal 2012
- Huddersfield Contemporary Music Festival and Sound and Music travel scholarship to attend the Boozing Quartet Composers’ Kitchen, Montreal, 2011
- spnm travel scholarship to attend the premiere of a new work for ShadowPlay, Seoul International Computer Music Festival, 2008
- spnm travel scholarship to attend the IRCAM Institute in Glasgow, 2008
- Butler Foundation travel scholarship to attend Ostrava Days New Music Institute, 2007
- JW Taylor Trust Scholarship for Postgraduate Music Study, 2003.
- Jul 2012: nu:nord artistic community, Montreal.
- May 2011: Composers’ Kitchen with the Bozzini Quartet, Montreal.
- Sept 2007- Sept 2008: Apprentice Composer-in-Residence, Birmingham Contemporary Music Group.
- Sept 2006 - Oct 2007: Composer-in-Residence, Solway Harps as part of Making Music’s Adopt-A-Composer scheme.
- Ostrava Days New Music Composition Institute 2005 & 2007.