Design for Behaviour Change Special Interest Group
If you would like to participate in the discussions on design for behaviour change during and beyond the duration of the project, we have set up a Special Interest Group on Design for Behaviour Change on Linked-in, which you can join here.
Niedderer, K., Mackrill, J., Clune, S., Lockton, D., Ludden, G., Morris, A., Cain, R., Gardiner, E., Gutteridge, R., Evans, M., Hekkert, P. (forthcoming October 2014). Creating Sustainable Innovation through Design for Behaviour Change: Full Report. University of Wolverhampton, Project Partners & AHRC. Download.
Niedderer, K., Mackrill, J., Clune, S., Lockton, D., Ludden, G., Morris, A., Cain, R., Gardiner, E., Gutteridge, R., Evans, M., Hekkert, P. (2014). Creating Sustainable Innovation through Design for Behaviour Change: Summary Report. University of Wolverhampton, Project Partners & AHRC. Download.
Niedderer, K., Mackrill, J., Clune, S., Evans, M., Lockton, D., Ludden, G., Morris, A., Gutteridge, R., Gardiner, E., Hekkert, P., Cain, R. (2014). Joining Forces: Investigating the influence of design for behaviour change on sustainable innovation. NordDesign 2014, August 27 – 29, Espoo, Finland. Joining Forces: Investigating the influence of design for behaviour change on su.
Links to External Sources
- Design Research Society
- Design and Emotion Society
- DESIS - Design for Social Innovation and Sustainability
- Sustainable Design Network
- Service Design Research Network
- Design Council
- Technology Strategy Board (Design SIG)
- Design, Architecture and Engineering Influencing Behavioural Outcomes Group
- London Behavioural Economics Network
Libraries and collections of resources
- Behavioural Design Lab Library: http://www.behaviouraldesignlab.org/library
- British Psychological Society’s Behaviour Change Briefings on subjects including energy use, tax compliance, physical activity and school attendance: http://www.bps.org.uk/what-we-do/our- influence/behaviour-change-briefings/behaviour-change-briefings-0
- Community-Based Social Marketing (Fostering Sustainable Behaviour) resource: http://www.cbsm.com/
- Debra Lilley’s collection of Design for Sustainable Behaviour resources: http://homepages.lboro.ac.uk/~cddl/
- Harry Brignull’s Dark Patterns: http://darkpatterns.org/
- Hanna Zoon’s collection of design toolboxes: https://hannazoon.wordpress.com/2013/05/22/depository-of-existing-design-toolboxes
- Helen Hamlyn Centre for Design’s Designing With People resource: http://designingwithpeople.org/
- Joanna Choukeir’s Design Methods Resources; http://joannachoukeir.com/Design-Methods-Resources
- Roberta Tassi’s Service Design Tools: http://www.servicedesigntools.org/
- Venessa Miemis’s collection of Card Decks: http://emergentbydesign.com/2012/10/25/21-card-decks-for-creative-problem-solving-effective-communication-strategic-foresight/
Toolkits and methods
- Artefact Group’s Behavior Change Strategy Cards: http://www.artefactgroup.com/content/tool/behavior-change-strategy-cards
- Autodesk’s Sustainable Design with Intent webinar: http://sustainabilityworkshop.autodesk.com/blog/sustainable-design-intent-toolkit-designers-and-engineers
- BJ Fogg’s Stanford Persuasive Technology Lab: http://captology.stanford.edu and Behavior Wizard: http://www.behaviorwizard.org
- Cabinet Office / Institute for Government MINDSPACE: http://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/sites/default/files/publications/MINDSPACE.pdf
- Dan Lockton’s Design with Intent toolkit: http://designwithintent.co.uk and blog http://danlockton.co.uk
- Eric Fernandez’s Visual Study Guide to Cognitive Biases: http://www.scribd.com/doc/30760418/A-Visual-Study-Guide-to-Cognitive-Biases
- IIT Institute of Design Brains, Behavior and Design toolkit: http://www.brainsbehavioranddesign.com
- Jasper van Kuijk’s Usability in Practice cards: http://v.gd/vankuijkcards
- Johannes Zachrisson Daae’s Dimensions of Behaviour Change cards: http://v.gd/daaethesis (Part III, page 304 of the PDF onwards)
- Johnson Controls Sustainable Cultures Engagement Toolkit (Catherine Greene & Lottie Crumbleholme): http://v.gd/sustcultures
- Karin Lidman and Sara Renström’s How to Design for Sustainable Behaviour: http://publications.lib.chalmers.se/records/fulltext/142461.pdf
- Schutz’s Wheel of Persuasion: http://www.wheelofpersuasion.com
- Steven Dorrestijn’s Product Impact Tool: http://www.designforusability.org/work-packages/product-impact
- Susan Michie, Lou Atkins and Robert West’s Behaviour Change Wheel: http://www.behaviourchangewheel.com
- Stephen P. Anderson’s Mental Notes cards: http://getmentalnotes.com
- Unilever’s 5 Levers for Change: http://www.unilever.com/images/slp_5-Levers-for-Change_tcm13-276807.pdf
Blogs and presentations
Sebastian Deterding’s ‘Coding Conduct’ presentations on motivational design, gamification, and user experience: http://codingconduct.cc/Presentations
Warren Hatter’s blog: http://warrenhatter.wordpress.com
Kristian Tørning’s Persuasive Design site: http://www.persuasive.eu
A selection of recommended books
'100 Things Every Designer Needs to Know about People'. By Susan Weinschenk. Published by New Riders, 2011
'Counter Clockwise: Mindful Health and the Power of Possibility'. By Ellen J Langer. Published by Ballantine Books, 2009.
'Designing for Behavior Change: Applying Psychology and Behavioral Economics'. By Stephen Wendel (HelloWallet / Action Design DC). Published by O’Reilly, 2013.
'Evil by Design: Interaction Design to Lead us into Temptation'. By Chris Nodder (Technical editor: Dan Lockton). Published by Wiley, 2013.
'Inspiring Sustainable Behaviour: 19 Ways to Ask for Change'. By Oliver Payne. Published by Earthscan, 2012.
'Motivating Change: Sustainable Design and Behaviour in the Built Environment'. Edited by Robert Crocker and Steffen Lehmann. Published by Earthscan, 2014.
'Persuasive Technology: Using Computers to Change What we Think and Do'. By B J Fogg. Published by Morgan Kaufmann, 2002.
'Seductive Interaction Design: Creating Playful, Fun, and Effective User Experiences'. By Stephen P. Anderson. Published by New Riders, 2011.
'Universal Principles of Design'. By William Lidwell, Kritina Holden, Jill Butler. Published by Rockport, 2010.