Inter Library Loans
If a book, journal article, thesis or conference paper isn't in our stock, we can usually get it for you from another library, generally the British Library
Who can use the service?
Members of staff, researchers, and students studying at level 6 and above - there is a charge to students of 50p per item. Staff and research students are entitled to free inter library loans.
In some cases first and second year students may be able to apply for material by Inter Library Loan, but the request must first be authorised by their module tutor
How do I make a request?
- Request forms are available at all Learning Centres - hand them in at the Help Desk.
- Online request forms for books and journal articles are also available below. You can fill them in online, but will need to print off a copy and send it to your chosen Learning Centre [with payment if required]. UK copyright laws mean that we cannot process requests until we receive a signed copy of the form.
- Check all details are correct - it's important that you have an accurate note of the bibliographical details of your item - if not, your request may be delayed or returned to you. If you don't have some of the details, staff at the Help Desk may be able to help you.
- Don't forget to check the online catalogue and the Electronic Journals A-Z list first, to make sure that we don't already have access.
ILL Book request form (PDF 278K, Downloads file)
ILL Journal request form (PDF 279K, Downloads file)
How long does it take?
You should allow two weeks, although many requests are supplied more quickly than this. Delays may occur when:-
- The first library cannot supply so we have to try elsewhere
- The details you have given us prove to be incorrect or incomplete
- It is not available in the UK
If you have not heard anything about your request after two weeks, please check with the Learning Centre where you placed the request.
How do I collect my request?
- Journal articles for students are posted direct to your preferred address, and are yours to keep permanently; articles for staff are delivered electronically to university email accounts - more details are available on the electronic article delivery page.
- When book requests arrive, we will send an email to your university email address - you must collect and return items at the site where you placed the request
- Some items may only be available to consult within the Learning Centre - it depends on conditions set by the lender
- Usually, the loan period for books is 5 weeks, but the item may be recalled if requested by the lender. Fines of 40p per day are charged if you keep the book overdue. If items become very overdue or lost, the British Library will invoice you for the replacement cost of the item, plus a non-refundable administrative charge; currently the BL minimum charge for lost items is £115 plus VAT.
May I renew an item?
It's not possible to renew online or by phone, you must return the item to the Help Desk before the due date - we'll need to ask for the lender's permission first, and will email you to confirm, at which point you can come into the Learning Centre to have it re-issued.
PhD theses are now available to all through the British Library EThOS service