LibrarySearch is LiveArticle date: Wednesday 01 August 2018
The University Library is pleased to announce the launch of LibrarySearch, our new library resource discovery tool to support learning, teaching and research.
LibrarySearch is fast, convenient and easy to use.
LibrarySearch which replaces the previous library catalogue Summon, has a fresh new look and is easy to use.
You no longer need to remember a separate Borrower ID and PIN, just login to My Account from LibrarySearch with your University user name and password.
Students will be able to access learning resources and loan details where it’s most convenient for them, directly from MyWLV with single sign on.
With fast retrieval of results and enhanced search capabilities you have access to the full range of print and electronic resources (that’s over 14 million items!) from one search bar.
Set preferences and filter results to narrow down your search criteria, for example:
- Search within a particular resource category: print books, eBooks, Articles, Journals, eTheses, Databases, WIRE.
- Apply filters with Advanced Search e.g. Author, Subject, ISBN, or you can filter by material type, for instance Images, Sound recordings or Dissertations.
- Personalise search results by discipline.
- Or you can just browse by author or title.
Get quick access to your most commonly used resources in ‘My Favourites’. You can even set alerts to notify you of newly added items.
Additionally, from the LibrarySearch homepage you can navigate to the main University Library website, Databases, Journal Title Search, Subject Resources, and Skills for Learning, as well as Contact Us for support and provide Feedback on LibrarySearch.
- If you can’t find a resource you’re looking for contact our library staff who will be happy to help. It could be that it’s not yet been migrated across to new the LibrarySearch system. Please bear with us during the first couple of weeks whilst we complete some migration activities.
- If you’ve saved links to resources in Summon (for instance in Refworks, or your browser favourites) these may not work now. You’ll need to search for the resource again and update your links using LibrarySearch.
We will continue to make tweaks and improvements to the LibrarySearch interface over the coming weeks and we value your feedback and suggestions.
Other improvements to Library services
LibrarySearch is just one of a host of service improvements being introduced to the Library.
- Look out for new self-service kiosks in all our libraries soon. They will be quicker and easier to use, allowing you to issue up to 10 items in one go.
- You can now borrow more books: Undergraduates up to 30, postgraduates and staff up to 40.
- In most cases books will be issued for a 1 week loan and are automatically renewed weekly unless requested by someone else.
- We’ve waived all fines on outstanding loans accrued before 1 August 2018. We just ask that you bring back the items you’ve finished with.
We’ve also replaced our separate library management and electronic resource management systems with a single fully integrated system, which will transform the way we buy and manage resources, ensuring we get the right content to staff and students when it’s needed.
Visit the library website at https://www.wlv.ac.uk/lib or talk to a member of library staff to find out more about changes to borrowing policies and fines.
Contact our library staff with any queries or feedback at https://www.wlv.ac.uk/lib/contacts/
Use LibrarySearch at https://www.wlv.ac.uk/lib/search