Moving to Exchange Online
As part of the move of staff to Office 365, ITS are improving email services by moving everyone to “Exchange Online”.
The move will be phased in over several months but will give all staff huge 100Gb space for email! You will be contacted by ITS when your mailbox is due for migration.
For the move to be as smooth as possbile, we've outlined some key pointers of what you'll need to do below.
Before you migrate
Make sure you're logged out of Outlook the evening before you're set to make the switchover (you'll be notified when by ITS).
Do not access your emails until the next morning - this includes accessing your email from your mobile.
After your migration has taken place, everything should be there as normal the next time you open Outlook. You will need to reset your Automatic Replies (Out of Office) if your account is sending them.
If you had a personal storage file (or pst) from your previous Outlook, you can import this by following the instructions on this page.
Your email on your mobile device will also be the same as before. For guidance on how to use Outlook on different mobile operating systems, click the relevant link below:
- Android: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/set-up-email-in-the-outlook-for-android-app-886db551-8dfa-4fd5-b835-f8e532091872
- Apple: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/set-up-email-in-outlook-for-ios-mobile-app-b2de2161-cc1d-49ef-9ef9-81acd1c8e234?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US
- Windows: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/set-up-office-mobile-apps-on-a-windows-mobile-device-2b7c1b51-a717-45d6-90c9-ee1c1c5ee0b7?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US
Another benefit to moving over to Exchange Online is that you can now access your email using any web browser. Simply visit http://www.outlook.com/wlv.ac.uk and log in using your University credentials.
Public folders are not available when you access Outlook via a web browser. You will need to access Outlook via your Desktop app to view public folders.
If you send large numbers (100+) of external emails at once (for example, as part of an external mailing list), please be aware that you may trigger Exchange Online's policy of flagging suspicious activity from individual email accounts. If you are unable to send emails from your account after sending a large number of external emails, please contact IT Service Desk (firstname.lastname@example.org) to report the issue.
There are a number of known issues that we're aware of with Office Exchange that the team are working to resolve. We will update this area with any additional issues going forward.
- Android users will need to delete and re-install the Outlook application to their device in order to access their emails following migration. You can find the Outlook app here in the Google Play store. Follow the instructions online to download. Please note that you will need to use the Outlook app rather than the native Android Mail app.
- Apple users may need to delete and re-install the Outlook application to their device(s) in order to access their emails following migration. You can find the Outlook app here in the App store. Follow the instructions online to download.
- A small number of staff may not be able to see calendars that they previously had access to, if the other member of staff has not been moved to Exchange Online. You can request access to the calendar again, which will resolve the issue, but once the other person has been migrated to Exchange Online, the problem will resolve itself. You may be prompted to reenter your password in order to view other calendars.
- Once you have migrated to Exchange Online, you will need to forward phishing emails directly (to email@example.com) instead of saving the email as an attachment.
- Public folders are not accessible via a web browser. If you need to access public folders, you will need to do so via your Outlook desktop app.
- If you receive the following pop-up, please check the 'Don't ask me about this website again' box and click 'Allow'.
If you have any issues with your mailbox, access or the migration across to Exchange Online, please contact the IT Service Desk by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling ext 2000.