Apply to the International Academy
- First of all, decide which course is right for you.
- Check the entry requirements, including the minimum English requirements for your chosen course.
- Check the visa requirements.
- Make your application - via our on-line course directory or directly to the University via Admissions or the International Office, find out how to do it below.
Your current level - IELTS 5 or below (or equivalent)
The following courses will take you to a level equivalent to IELTS 6.0. You then have the further study options depending on the level you need for your future degree and your own learning preferences. Please contact us to discuss what might be more suitable for you.
- Pre-sessional English and Academic Skills: 22 weeks (IELTS entry score of 4.0 overall or equivalent) - writing must be 4.0 minimum.
- Pre-sessional English and Academic Skills: 17 weeks (IELTS entry score of 4.5 overall or equivalent) - writing must be 4.5 minimum.
- Pre-sessional English and Academic Skills: 11 weeks (IELTS entry score of 5.0 overall or equivalent) - with no band less than 4.5.
- Pre-sessional English and Academic Skills: 6 weeks (IELTS entry score of 5.5 overall or equivalent) - writing must be 5.0 minimum.
*your individual language components are taken into consideration and if you are lower in one or two, you may be offered a different pre-sessional.
Your current level - IELTS 5.5 (or equivalent)
If you already have IELTS 5.5 or have taken one of the pre-sessional to 5.5 courses as described above, there are several options, please take a look at our courses below.
English Short & Summer/Winter courses
MA Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) - online part time starting January 2021
Help with your application
We're happy to help you through the application process every step of the way.
For advice on how to apply as an international student and find out information on pre and post arrival to the UK visit the International Centre web pages. Our Student Centres also have lots of good advice and information.
The International Admissions Unit can also advise you on your existing qualifications and help with your application, please email: email@example.com
Changes to the immigration application process
The UK Government has made some changes to the immigration system, please check:
- We recommend you check the UK Borders Agency website to find out more and keep up-to-date
- Guidance is also available from the UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA)