Summer School at the International Academy
The Summer School programme at the International Academy, Priorslee Hall, Telford Innovation Campus welcomes students from all over the world to take part in elective classes, study English, develop communication skills, experience living and studying at a UK university and visit places of historical and cultural interest.
The International Academy is based at Telford Innovation Campus in the rural county of Shropshire.
Telford and Wolverhampton are in the heart of England, between 20-40 minutes from Birmingham, England's second city and only 2 hours from London via train. There are some beautiful places locally to explore and is centrally positioned with excellent train links, you can explore the whole country either on organised trips or independently.
Classes will take place in the 18th century Priorslee Hall at Telford which offers a unique learning experience for students and provides bright modern equipped class rooms in a traditional English rural setting.
Your level of English will be assessed from the start of your course and then you will receive a learning programme which focuses on developing spoken fluency and confidence through practical activities and project work.
Higher level speakers of English are best suited to our academic programme and it is not suitable for beginners but between upper elementary and intermediate.
Each week includes:
- 14 hours of English classes
- 4 hours of elective classes - Professional Communication, Art and Design or Media and Culture
- social and cultural programme
- exploring the culture of the UK
- one full day and one half day trip per week
A typical timetable:
Take a look our brochures and the Summer School leaflet
Whilst staying at the International Academy at Telford Innovation Campus you will enjoy a good standard of accommodation which provides:
- your own private bedroom with en-suite bathroom and Wi-Fi access
- shared kitchen and living area (with utensils supplied) in which 4-7 students can relax, cook and eat
- bed linen provided and changed weekly
- use of the self-laundry facilities
- accommodation blocks are just a short walk away from your classes
- we have a 24 hour emergency contact number
- frequent and cheap buses run to Telford Town Centre where you will find, many shops, ice-rink, restaurants, bowling alley, IMax Theatre and a lovely town park
As well as the facilities in your halls of residence, you will also have use of the Social Area in Priorslee Hall with:
- table tennis
- TVs and games consoles
- outdoor trim track
- outdoor sports field and hard court basketball/tennis area
We are currently planning for our Summer School 2021
- Starting dates will be early July to August 2021
- Costs are to be confirmed but previously a 2 week stay would cost £990 or a 4 week stay would cost £1850 including self catering accommodation.
Payments are required in full 4 weeks before the course start date via bank transfer.
To apply for the Summer School 2021 at the International Academy, University of Wolverhampton, please complete the on-line application form and email it to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note this programme is aimed at 18 year olds and over.
If you have a special interest group please contact Adam.Yardley@wlv.ac.uk for a bespoke quote.
- For groups of 5 or more we will have a representative to greet you at Birmingham Airport and we will provide transport to the International Academy at Telford Innovation Campus.
- You will be allocated a single occupancy en-suite bedroom at Telford Campus with towels and bed linen with access to a shared kitchen.
- On Campus you can wash your clothes in our launderettes, which cost £1 per wash.
- We have a reception with 24 hour security and contact number.
- Our Library is also open 24 hours so you can always access a computer.
- When you take part in any of our day trips you will be taken to your destination in comfortable, modern coaches and accompanied by friendly staff. A map and information about your destination will also be issued, to help you make the most of your day.
- Our restaurant provides a varied menu to suit all tastes and we also have a Costa Coffee cafe on site.
- Students will be self catering and we have a pharmacy and supermaket within walking distance from your accommodation.
Ehouman Aurelie, Ivory Coast, commented: "I feel that the International Summer School is an opportunity to improve your English and make new friends from other countries."
Jihye Hwang, South Korea, commented: "Through this course my English has developed and the teachers are so kind."
Zhang Meng, commented: “Everyone here makes me feel at home and the teachers are friendly and knowledgeable. Through this course I have improved my spoken English and I’ll continue to improve my writing skills. I think this Winter School course is an interesting experience which can enrich my CV.”
Li Zijin, commented: “Teachers and staff are kind and enthusiastic and the environment is great. Attending the course cultivates my skills to communicate with people who come from different countries. I love it here!”
Lin Liaohong, commented: “I’ve gained in confidence and the class time is very active and I’m enjoying it.”
Take a look at what our students have to say.
The documents required to enter the UK are different depending on which country you come from and how long you are planning to stay. Once you have been accepted onto the course we will provide an offer letter to support your visa application.
To check whether you need a visa please visit the UK.GOV website.
If you need a visa please apply up to 3 months before the date of travel to avoid disappointment.