Skip to main content

Returning Students

Welcome back

Returners checklist

If you are eligible for funding via Student Finance make sure you re-apply as soon as you can, if you haven't already.  You have to do this every year.

Make sure you:

Have some moeny to last you at least 2 weeks after the start of your course.  Even if you completely sorted out your funding the University may not confirm your enrolment until the official start of the next year of your course which means that, although there may be a date on your entitlement letter for the first payment, you may not receive it on that date.

Once we confirm to Student Finance that you are in attendance it takes them 72 hours to get it into your account. 

For more tips on how to get the most out of your money see: Funding and Budgeting

Enrol on e:Vision. Full enrolment instructions are available at Enrol online.

All returning students need to attend a course inductions programme.

Once available, please click the corresponding link on your School/Institute's Induction webpage to view the induction programme for your course.

As a returning student, if there is no course induction listed under your institute by the start of the year, please refer to the teaching timetable for details of your first session or contact your Faculty Student Services .

The majority of inductions will take place during Welcome Week.  Please note that some may take place earlier - check your individual programme to make sure.


myWLV offers everything you need for your learning and education experience, in one place!

It is currently available to all University of Wolverhampton students who are fully enrolled on an undergraduate or postgraduate course that is primarily delivered on a University campus, and research students, and will deliver information including, assessment deadlines, email, VLE topic subscriptions, links to key resources (e.g. room booking, library resources, PC availability) and many more.


Canvas is used by students and staff to support learning and teaching activities, including access to online learning materials and module activities such as discussions, quizzes and assignments.

Wherever you mostly spend your time at University, you’ll find our digital support systems and programmes keep you connected to all the vital processes that make your life as a student go smoothly.

For an overview see Your online facilities.


Check out these various things that can also help

Don't forget to renew yours!

An NUS Extra Card gives you discounts from a massive array of retailers and it’s exclusive to students. You can get hold of yours from Students’ Union reception at either City or Walsall campus or online at

if you haven't already got one, getting a student bank account is one of the most useful things to have.  To get one you can just speak to the bank or building society that you are already with, although we would always suggest you compare what various different ones can do for you.

Most of them will offer a free overdraft but each one may have other different benefits and so shop around to find the best one for you.

Also, one additional benefit, once you have graduated they will convert your account into a graduate account and they would normally give you around 12 months to pay off any overdraft without charging you (check with them about specific time limits).

Don't forget to order a new one for this year!

Just like enrolling and applying for funding, your council needs to see evidence that you are still a full-time student every year to claimyour Council Tax exemption.  

If you are a student living in a household with no other adults (any other adults in full-time education are also exempt so don't count) then you are completely exempt from paying any council tax for the duration of your course

If you live in a house with 1 other adult who is not exempt from paying council tax then the house is eligible for a 25% discount.

If you are part-time or live in a house with 2 or more adults who are not exempt from paying council tax then, unfortunately, there is no discount.

If you need to prove that you are exempt from paying council tax then once you have fully enrolled you can request an exemption certificate through your e:Vision account which you need to give to your council and they will recalculate any council tax.

If you haven't done this before...

If you are moving here to study, whether that's from just up the road in Birmingham or you've travelled from the other side of the world, one of the first things you'll need to do, once you've settled in, is to register with a local doctor and dentist.   

All you need to do is go to the NHS England website (opens in new window) and put in your postcode and it will show you all the doctors and dentists closest to you that are currently accepting new patients.

Another thing to remember is that, as a full-time student, you are not automatically exempt from NHS or dental costs.  You will need to apply for an exemption certificate from the NHS called a HC1 form.  You would apply as a "low income" goup.  Again, you can find this via the NHS England website at NHS Low Income Scheme (LIS)

Once you have applied you may have to pay costs upfront and then send off any receipts and you should be at least partially reimbursed.

Also health related, make sure you are immunised against Meningitis (opens in new window)

View the full academic calendar at:

Semester DatesFrom:To:
Semester 1 Monday 23 September 2019 Friday 17 January 2020
Semester 2 Monday 20 January 2020 Friday 22 May 2020
Term DatesFrom:To:
Autumn Term Monday 23 September 2019 Friday 20 December 2019
Spring Term Monday 06 January 2020 Friday 03 April 2020
Summer Term Monday 20 April 2020 Friday 22 May 2020

Check out any changes!

It's always a good idea to refresh yourself about what services the Library has to offer.  Don't forget their Study Skills or their useful tip sheets (for those pesky references).  

For each new module that you start the first thing that happens is that you will be taken through the module guide (for a full list of possible modules for your course see your Course Guide).  The module leader may suggest a "bible" for your course or some text books that will be useful for the entirety of the course.  These text books are going to be expensive (easily £45 each) so you would do well to only invest in the ones that would be most useful.

Our Libraries  will have numerous copies of any core texts available for loan and we do suggest you use this facility wherever possible (they also have online texts and journals) but if you do feel that your personal studies would benefit from owning any of them then remember to search for them.  Check with your Faculty office and the Students Union as previous students may advertise with them any books they are selling.  Check out second hand bookshops and charity shops, they're always good for that kind of thing. 

Don't forget that online shops (such as Amazon with whom you can get a discount as a student anyway - including Prime) will also sell "used" versions that you may find a lot cheaper.

Whether you’re a student, a parent or you provide student accommodation, find out when a TV Licence is needed and how much it costs.

The law still applies to students. You must be covered by a TV Licence to:

This could be on any device, including a TV, desktop computer, laptop, mobile phone, tablet, games console, digital box or DVD/VHS recorder.

A TV Licence costs £154.50 a year

You can pay in one go, or spread the cost weekly, monthly or quarterly. You can buy and manage your licence online. And if you don’t need your licence for a full 12 months, you could apply for a refund.

For more information go to: TV Licensing - Students

During term time the University operates a free inter-campus shuttle bus serving the three campus's at Wolverhampton, Walsall and Telford (Monday to Friday only).

The Intercampus bus is provided for the transfer of students and staff between campus's for the purpose of attending lectures and/or any other University business. It is not provided as a replacement for local bus or train services. 

About our services

  • Real-time satellite tracked vehicles.
  • You must produce your student or staff ID card for travel. 
  • Our buses are wheelchair accessible.  
  • Items of luggage to be carried at the driver's discretion.
  • No stopping is allowed between designated bus stops.
  • USB Ports to charge devices.
  • WIFI
  • Please note that we allow guide dogs and assistance dogs.

Whatever you are looking for it is always worth shopping around for the best deal, whether it's insurance or baked goods, you will almost always find a student discount that would work for you.

eduroam logo

What is eduroam?

eduroam (education roaming) is the secure, world-wide roaming access service developed for the international research and education community.  eduroam allows students, researchers and staff from participating institutions to obtain Internet connectivity across campus and when visiting other participating institutions by simply opening their laptop.

Where can I eduroam?

eduroam is available in thousands of locations across over 70 countries worldwide. From campuses to coffee shops. Click here for an interactive map of countries where you can eduroam.

Find out more about eduroam by visiting their website


Contact us:

Student Experience Team

Whether you're a new student or returning to continue your studies we're here to answer any queries you may have.

For any query regarding induction and Welcome Week:

For any other queries: