University of Wolverhampton Careers Privacy Notice
Who we are
The University of Wolverhampton (‘we’ or ’us’) are a ‘Data Controller’ for the purposes of the Data Protection Legislation (including the Data Protection Act 1998 and the General Data Protection Regulation) and we are responsible for, and control the processing of, your personal information.
We are committed to protecting your privacy. This notice explains how the University and Careers collect and process your personal information for employability, appointment booking and administrative purposes.
Information We Collect
We may obtain and process the following personal information about you:
- Your name, contact details (i.e. address, home and mobile phone numbers, email address) and
- emergency contacts (i.e. name, relationship and home and mobile phone numbers);*
- Information collected during the recruitment process that we retain during your employment;
- Employment contract information;
- Details of salary and benefits, bank/building society, National Insurance and tax information, your age; *
- Details of your spouse/partner and any dependants; *
- Your nationality and immigration status and information from related documents, such as your passport or other identification and immigration information; *
- A copy of your driving licence;*
- Details of your pension arrangements, and all information included in these and necessary to
- implement and administer them (including details of your spouse/partner and any dependants) ; *
- Information on your sickness and absence records (including sensitive personal information
- regarding your physical and/or mental health); *
- Your status in relation to protected characteristics as defined in the Equality Act 2010;
- Criminal records information, including the results of Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) checks;*
- Information on grievances raised by or involving you;
- Information on conduct and/or other disciplinary issues involving you;
- Details of your appraisals and performance reviews;
- Details of your performance management/improvement plans (if any);
- Details of your time and attendance records;
- Information regarding your work output;
- Information in applications you make for other positions within our organisation;
- Information about your use of our IT, communication and other systems, and other monitoring information;
- Details of your use of business-related social media, such as Facebook, Twitter;
- Your use of public social media (only in very limited circumstances, to check specific risks for specific functions within our organisation; you will be notified separately if this is to occur); and
- Details in references about you that we give to others; and
- Any other information relating to you, that you share with us or that we obtain as part of your employment relationship with the University of Wolverhampton and/or its subsidiaries.
We obtain personal information about you from the following sources:
a) The University Group:
Upon enrolment, your personal information will be transferred from the University’s central and local databases to the Careers databases, including the Career SPACE database and the WEEA Bronze Award Database.
b) Information provided by you:
You provided personal information upon registration with Careers,, whether, online or in person.
You provided your personal information through one of our websites, as part of competitions, careers, employment, volunteering or other events.
Completed and/or returned surveys or response/feedback forms such as contact preference forms, including by mail and via electronic means.
Registered to attend an event
Registered an interest for support to find employment or volunteering opportunities.
You provided personal information as part of discussions with any of our team or representatives, such as a Careers Adviser.
Personal information we collect about you may include “special categories” data, such as information about your racial or ethnic origin, religious or other beliefs, physical or mental health and criminal offences/proceedings. “Special categories” data would only be processed where you have provided it yourself (with your consent), for example during discussions with any of our representatives or where such is recorded for the purposes of assessing accessibility requirements arising as a result of a disability, or where this information has already been made public or processing is required by law.
How We Use Your Data
In order to provide a more complete employability offering to our students and graduates, we keep a record of your interactions with our career professionals and recruitment specialists, so we can better inform you of services and opportunities to improve your career prospects. We collect personal information to enable us to deliver these services and to better understand our community so that we can better meet your needs and improve our services.
We may process your personal information for the following purposes:
a) Administrative purposes:
To verify your identify/account and provide you with a personalised experience upon your registration with the University of Wolverhampton.
Event and course registration.
To process and organise any activities you have agreed to undertake/shown an interest in undertaking.
To keep a record of communications between us
We may, from time to time, contact you by email, post or telephone to pursue the purposes mentioned above and in particular for the following reasons:
To keep you up to date with events and activities at the University of Wolverhampton;
To share employment, training and volunteering opportunities, news and achievements of the University and its staff/student body, including research and services.
Invite you to events, which may be of interest to you.
Invite you to train work or volunteer at the University, including careers courses, mentoring schemes and career advice.
To keep you up to date with other relevant information, which we think may be of interest to you.
If you would like to opt-out of the above Communications, please let us know. See ‘How to Contact Us’ below for further information.
Who your information may be shared with
Your personal information is held securely on a database. We may disclose your personal data to other companies within our group, third parties working in partnership or on behalf of the University, and/or Government Agencies where required to do so by law.
We do not transfer your personal information to third parties outside the EEA or to territories without adequate levels of protection. Where personal data is processed by a third party, we take reasonable steps to ensure that the data is processed strictly according to the instructions of the University, for the relevant purposes only and securely destroyed or returned upon completion/termination. We take reasonable steps to ensure that third party processors are subject to written legal obligations in respect of data protection and the duty of confidentiality.
We do not sell or rent any personal information or data supplied by you. We may compile aggregate statistics and provide them to third parties, but we do not include personal information that identifies individual users.
We may retain your personal information for a period of 3 years from your graduation or as long as necessary and in line with our statutory/regulatory obligations where appropriate.
If you wish to request for any of your records to be removed from database, or would like to opt-out of any or all communications from the University of Wolverhampton, please see ‘How to Contact Us’ and ‘Rights of Data Subjects’ below for further information.
Rights of Data Subjects
a) Right to request a copy of your information
You can request a copy of your information which we hold (this is known as a subject access request). If you would like a copy of some or all of it, please visit the University of Wolverhampton Data Protection web pages available here.
b) Right to correct mistakes in your information
You can require us to correct any mistakes in your information which we hold free of charge. If you would like to do so, please write to us (see ‘How to Contact Us’ below) and provide us with enough information to identify you, as well as, inform us of the information that is incorrect and what it should be replaced with.
c) Right to ask us to stop contacting you with direct marketing
If you would like to amend your mailing subscriptions or unsubscribe from the University of Wolverhampton Careers, you can do so by emailing email@example.com.
Lawful basis for processing
The University may rely on one or multiple grounds for processing your personal data including:
a) You have provided consent for the processing;
b) There is a contractual commitment to provide the services and, therefore, processing is necessary to meet those contractual obligations;
c) Supporting the development of student and graduate employability is in the public interest, in particular, allowing for the enhancement of the University’s charitable purposes and the subsequent benefits to society;
d) The information is available to the public at large; and/or
e) The processing is necessary for the purposes of legitimate interests of the University or other third parties and does not affect the fundamental rights and freedoms of the individuals concerned.
How to Contact Us
Should you have any queries, suggestions or issues please do not hesitate to contact the Careers office on 01902 321414, firstname.lastname@example.org or you can write to us at the following address:
The Careers Centre
City Campus Wulfruna
If you have any concerns or believe that your personal information is being handled in a manner which is contrary to statutory requirements, you may wish to contact the University of Wolverhampton’s Data Protection Officer via email@example.com or complain to the ICO via www.ico.org.