Skip to main content

Chartered Legal Executive Apprenticeship

Chartered Legal Executive Apprenticeship

Training Tomorrow’s Lawyers Today

Developed in collaboration with sector-leading employers and professional bodies, the CILEx Chartered Legal Executive Apprenticeship is a practice-based programme that builds the technical understanding and professional behaviours needed by future Chartered Legal Executives and Solicitors.

Driven by the latest legal practices, and the outcomes of pioneering research, the CILEx apprenticeship provides a rigorously demanding programme of study. It develops an individual’s ability to absorb, assimilate and analyse often complex legal concepts and to apply the results of their study to a wide variety of legal applications. It encourages students to become independent thinkers and confident communicators; to be adaptable in their approach to tasks and to have a commercial awareness when dealing with clients.

The Apprenticeship can be used by companies to upskill and retain their existing employees, to attract innovative new talent into their organisation, to develop a workforce thatis able to meet their client’s future needs and to improve profitability and the quality of service provision.

Participants on the apprenticeship programme will be expected to spend 20% of their working week in a learning environment, with the remaining 80% of their time spent on normal workplace duties.

During the learning element of their Apprenticeship, individuals could be studying an online module, attending a fortnightly face-to-face lecture, completing a work-based or CILEx assignment or preparing for exams. They will need to meet with skills coaches throughout the duration of the programme to support the development of their professional behaviours and will be expected to spend some of their own time studying.

Over the course of five years, participants will study a diverse portfolio of technical and practicebased topics including:

• Client Care Skills
• Contract Law
• Civil Litigation
• Criminal Litigation
• Criminal Law
• Legal Research Skills

They will also have the opportunity, towards the end of the Apprenticeship, to study specialist modules which could include:

• Wills and Probate
• Employment Law
• Tort Law
• Conveyancing Practice
• Family Law

The cost of the CILEx Legal Executive Apprenticeship is £12,000 for the five year course. The fees can be covered using different funding options that relate to the size of the employer.

• Large employers - Businesses with an annual payroll bill exceeding £3million, and who are subject to the 0.5% Apprenticeship levy, can use the funding in their digital account to cover the costs of the training and assessment elements of the apprenticeship*.

• Small and medium-sized employers – Businesses that are not subject to the levy will be eligible to receive a Government subsidy that covers 95% of the eligible apprenticeship costs*. Non-levy paying organisations may also be eligible to receive additional employer incentives.

*Please note that, currently, neither the Apprenticeship levy nor the 95% Government subsidy can be used to offset salary costs.

On successful completion of the CILEx apprenticeship, individuals will be awarded the CILEx Level 6 Diploma. This qualification will allow an individual to practice as a Chartered Legal Executive Lawyer and to be recognised as a Graduate member of the Chartered Institute of Legal Executives. It also satisfies the entry criteria for the Solicitors Qualifying Examination.

To be eligible for the CILEx Apprenticeship, applicants must be in full-time employment with their sponsoring employer and be working within England.
They will need to have:

• Three A-levels at CCC
or equivalent

• Maths and English GCSE
grade A-C or equivalent

It may be possible to gain entry onto the CILEx apprenticeship course based on an individual’s experience. In these cases, applicants may be required to attend an interview.

An apprenticeship is open to anyone who satisfies the above entry requirements regardless of their age.


Contact Us Make an enquiry now.

Take the Next Step