Building Control Surveying Degree Apprenticeship
Chartered Surveyor Degree Apprenticeship Level 6
Chartered Public Services Building Control Surveyors are highly trained and experienced members of the local authority Built Environment profession. They are usually Corporate Members of Chartered Institute of Builders (CIOB) and/or other similar professional bodies. They are property professionals who provide diverse services and offer impartial, specialist advice on a variety of property development control issues which includes advice on public safety, consumer protection, safety at sports grounds, and dangerous structures. They routinely work with the emergency services and other functions such as Health and Safety Executive, Trading Standards and Environmental Health to deliver safe buildings.
As a Public Service Building Control Surveyor Degree Apprentice, you will be part of an extensive network of over 3,500 professional public service surveyors responsible for ensuring buildings are safe, healthy, inclusive and efficient, and meet the standards set by the Building Regulations. You will be part of the planning, development and valuation of built environment projects. You will develop a wider understanding of the built environment process required to become a built environment professional/practitioner and have the opportunity to progress both professionally and academically.
Through the Public Service Degree Apprenticeship programme, you will develop the skills, knowledge, behaviours and an appreciation to address a wide range of issues and to lead and work with others in the delivery of successful projects. You will be supported by local authority your employer and a skills coach on the programme. Course content includes elements of work-based learning, pre-contract studies, on-site decision making, management and liaison with clients, construction professionals and operatives.
On completion of the Apprenticeship, as a Chartered Public Service Building Control Surveyor you will act on behalf of clients or employers to provide professional services as a Public Service building control surveyor, Public Service planning and development building control surveyor, or consultant (Professional). In this capacity your role will include, but not limited to:
- Providing professional advice and recommendation to local authority clients relating to land, property or construction
- Managing local authority client instructions from engagement to completion
- Enforce the Regulatory Framework within a local authority area to ensure the long-term safety, inclusivity and performance of buildings in your communities.
- Deliver impartial and professional building control services throughout England and Wales.
- Liaising with other professionals
- Follow due-diligence in providing advice to local authority clients
- Undertaking detailed inspection of building and building sites
- Analysing information from inspections or visits to buildings, land and construction sites
Through the combined use of practical and educational experience and support, the Public Service Building Control Surveyor Degree Apprenticeship enables you to:
- Gain the essential core skills and knowledge of all aspects of built environment management.
- Focus on the technologies, law, information management, finance, health and safety, sustainability and consultancy skills needed to deliver projects to professional and to quality standards.
- Develop transferable skills in the areas of valuation and appraisal, building surveys and planning law
- Develop transferable skills of team working, independent learning, decision making and problem solving
- Develop an awareness of and consider the impact and solutions to current management issues in your local authority and the built environment sector
- Enhance your skills in construction and built environment relate projects, management of people and resources, leadership skills.
The Public Service Building Control Surveyor Degree Apprenticeship has been designed and developed in collaboration with employers, the Local Authority Building Control (LABC) and professional bodies. The duration for the Degree Apprenticeship is 48 months and requires a residential block week of attendance per year (for 24 weeks a year) and studying additional days through a work-based learning mode by webinars. The course requires that all modules have to be successfully completed along with an end point assessment (CIOB Accreditation) in order to successfully complete the Apprenticeship.
The Degree will incorporate vocational and academic elements.
On successful completion of the programme you will achieve a BSc (Hons) Degree Building Control Surveying. You will also be assisted in securing Corporate Membership of the CIOB.
You will need to be currently employed by a local authority building control team in the United Kingdom and work for a minimum of 30 hours per week.
The entry requirement for the Apprenticeship will typically be a minimum of three A-levels at Grade C or higher (or their equivalent) or a Level 3 Apprenticeship in Construction or Property related discipline.
Other relevant or prior experience may also be considered as an alternative. Age and experience are recognised and prospective apprentices may be required to attend an interview.
Apprentices without level 2 or equivalent (GCSE grade C/4 or higher) English and Mathematics (or unable to provide evidence of achievement) will need to commit to achieving prior to taking the end-point assessment.
For employers with a payroll below £3 million: The Government will pay 95% of the cost of the Apprenticeship training and assessment for Apprentices of any age, for employers who will not be paying the Apprenticeship levy. You may also be eligible for extra employer incentives.
For employers with a payroll below £3 million: From May 2017 employers will be able to use their Apprenticeship Levy contribution towards the cost of the Apprenticeship using their digital account. We will agree a payment schedule and discuss funding availability before you start your Apprenticeships and ensure the cost to your business is clear upfront.
Register your interest
Call: 0800 953 3222