Media Portfolio Reviews
Once you have applied for one of our media* courses and have been shortlisted, you will be asked to provide a portfolio and invited to attend a portfolio review meeting which will include a two-hour activity. Your portfolio is an opportunity to show us who you are, your creative ability, and your potential.
Undergraduate Portfolio Reviews will be On-Campus for those wishing to start in September 2023.
Postgraduates will be asked to provide a digital portfolio and may be invited to a portfolio review for those wishing to start in September 2023.
Hints and Tips on what we expect of your Portfolio
- Your portfolio should be well organised and presented. The portfolio should aim to demonstrate your strongest work, indicating your creative and technical abilities rather than the quantity of work.
- Include photographs of a range of artwork showing the development of skills and/or experimentation with different media.
- For many courses, drawing is a key element to your portfolio. Include examples of different types of drawing, such as life drawing, still life, and illustrations.
- Include examples of different projects you have undertaken and be prepared to talk through the project and the development of your work.
- Include at least one project that shows how you have developed an idea from start to finish - don't forget to explain the project and how you developed your ideas.
- Use good quality, well-lit photographs of your work and try and find a plain background.
- You can put your portfolio together either via a PowerPoint file or a pdf document with links to any moving image work or other digital work you have saved on another site like Youtube or Vimeo.
- Do you know enough about the course you have applied for? Research information about the course and visit our open days or postgraduate open evenings to come and speak to our staff and students www.wlv.ac.uk/opendays.
- Ensure you have read all the guidance that has been sent to you, have you been requested to bring any additional information with you? (ID etc.)
- You will not be asked to present certificates at your interview. Admissions will ask you for these after the interview if you are offered a place
On-Campus Portfolio Reviews (Undergraduate only)
- Don't forget to check which campus your interview will be based on. This information can be found in your interview e-mail confirmation and on e:Vision.
- Plan your journey- our campuses are well-serviced by public transport. If arriving by car, you may find that some of our campuses will require you to pay for parking. You can find further info on how to find us, here.
- Check out our campus locations and maps to ensure you go to the right building for your interview.
- Undergraduate portfolio reviews will take place in George Wallis (MK) Building at our Wolverhampton City Campus. Upon arrival please take a seat in the foyer.
Online Portfolio Reviews (Postgraduate only)
Postgraduates will be asked to provide a digital portfolio and may be invited to a portfolio review. Portfolios must be submitted to FABSSapplicant@wlv.ac.uk in advance of the review date for undergraduate courses and you can send it via suggested file-sharing platforms such as WeTransfer, Dropbox etc. Postgraduates are advised to send digital portfolios using the same method.
* Undergraduate Media courses include Animation, Computer Games Design, and Film and Television Production (including Sandwich and Foundation Year routes).
* Postgraduate Media courses include Digital and Visual Communication and Fim and Television Production.