Skip to main content

What evidence is required?

Applications submitted without all relevant information/evidence will be automatically rejected

Mandatory evidence

There are 3 pieces of evidence that everyone will need supply.

We will need evidence of how you intend on funding yourself for this academic year, whether that is through Student Finance, an employer or you are self-funding.

Student Finance:

If you are receiving funding from Student Finance (UG/PG Masters - full-time or part-time) we will need your current Online Notification of Entitlement letter.

The Entitlement letter can easily be downloaded directly from your online account with them under Letters and Emails - click the link then download the pdf to save and then upload to your application.

NHS/SW/TA Bursary:

Like Student Finance you can log on to your BOSS account, download your current entitlement letter and then save it to upload directly to your account.


If you are being funded by your employer to attend University then we would require a formal letter (on letterheaded paper) confirming this.


If you are having to fund the course yourself, whether by choice or the nature of your course (already have a degree/PG diploma) or because you are not eligible for funding this year, you will need to:-

  • provide evidence that you have made provision to pay your fees
  • provide evidence that you have made provision to cover basic living costs
The Dennis Turner cannot be applied for if you have not done this.  

If, after careful planning, it is evident that you cannot afford the course we will assume that you would rethink starting it until such time as you could.  If you did make reasonable provision but circumstances occurred that were beyond your control since you became a student that has meant this is no longer viable then you may still be eligible for an award.

If it appears that you have not either a) applied for or b) be in receipt of the maximum amount available to you of any of the above you risk your application being automatically rejected


If you have a tenancy agreement we would only require the pages that clearly show your name, the address and the amount that you pay per week/month.  If you do not have a tenancy but are in receipt of housing benefits (which we will also require evidence of) you should find the DWP letter confirming your benefits will have your weekly rent on it so one upload will cover both.

Own home:

If you own your home then we would require a recent (within last 2 months) mortgage statement that clearly shows your name, the address and how much you pay.

Living with your parents/guardians:

If you pay board you will need to provide a signed letter from your parent/guardian stating your name, confirming your address and the amount you pay per week/month.

If you change your bank details after making your initial application you must IMMEDIATELY email the changes (Bank name, account number & sort code) to with your student number.

Failure to do so will result in a serious delay in any payments that may be due to you.

If you are successful, your award/instalments will be paid into the account stated on your application form.  Further instalments may be subject to you seeking advice from a Money Advisor in the Advice and Representation Centre (ARC) of the Students' Union or Citizens' Advice Bureau.

Bank statements:

We require 3 most recent months’ worth of bank statements for each and every account you (and your partner if applicable) hold including any savings/ISAs/Credit Union/post office accounts you may have.

Please note: We do not accept credit cards or store card statements

You MUST explain any credit or debit transactions of £100+ that appear on these statements that are not self-explanatory, for example cash deposits or withdrawals of £100+.

We specifically look for:-

  • Account where your Student Funding is paid into
  • Account where your award (if successful) is to be paid into
  • Partner's account/s (if applicable)
  • Account where wages are paid into
  • Account where child benefit and child/work tax credit is paid into
  • Any other accounts you or your partner hold such as Savings, ISA, Credit Union, Post Office etc.

Mini statements are NOT acceptable but below are instructions for some major banks for downloading statements if you have internet banking (NOT screenshots of PC or mobile app) or you can scan in physical statements (see instructions further down this webpage).

All statements must be consecutive and recent, show your name, bank details, transactions and bank balance.

Applications submitted without relevant bank statements will be rejected.

Online banking:

If you bank online you should be able to download or export your statements as a pdf.  If your bank does not offer this (for example Lloyds) then you can create a printable version instead.  Just click print and then it will say something like "open in print dialogue box" - at that point you should be able to save it as a pdf without actually printing by changing the destination.

For more help with accessing online bank statements for your bank please choose appropriate link below (if your bank is not in the list then please contact them directly):




Halifax - Click on the account you want the statement for >> scroll to the bottom of the page >> click on 'Print' (this is next to 'Export') >> then you can either print or save in PDF 



HSBC - do not currently offer printable statements as pdf's - suggest you contact them direct for additional support




Universal Credit

Just like Student Finance you can log in to your online account and download evidence of your entitlement.

Tax Credits

If you are receipt of either (or both) Child Tax Credits or Working Tax Credits , we do require the most recent notification of award letter from the DWP.  If you can access the Gateway for DWP online you may be able to download and save your notification (as with Student Finance) else we will require you to scan every page (even the blank ones) as per instructions further down this webpage.

Formal childcare:

We do require 2 to 3 months' worth of childcare evidence.  If you ask your provider they should be able to supply a statement of account.  We need your name, name of child/ren on official letterheaded paper with a breakdown of costs.  This must clearly include what days and how much per week/month you have been charged.

Informal childcare:

We do require a signed letter from whoever helps you with this informal childcare.  It needs to state their name, your name, your child/ren's name/s, when they have them and how much per week/month you pay them


If working - we require 3 most recent months' worth of payslips for your partner

If a student - we require their current Notification of Entitlement letter (please see above for instructions) 

If on benefits - we require most recent notification letter from the DWP

Bank statements:

We require 3 most recent months’ worth of bank statements for each and every account your partner holds including any savings/ISAs/Credit Union/post office accounts.

Car insurance:

Most insurance companies now send you a link via email to access your documents which can then allow you to download them in to a .pdf

Housing/ council tax/ JSA / DLA / EESA etc:

We do require evidence of any income you receive from benefits. The most recent letter from DWP which clearly states your name, what benefit it is and how much per week/month you receive.

Anything else that you feel is relevant:

If there is any other evidence you feel may be relevant but that we haven't specifically asked for then you can also upload it.  We would suggest that you scan it all together as one document (please see instructions further down the webpage) as you do have limited upload slots.

Please note: we DO NOT accept: 

  • Credit card statements
  • Store cards
  • Utility bills (ie phone/gas/electricity/broadband/etc)
  • Any debts that you have accrued BEFORE you started your course

You can only upload:

  • PDF's - this is what the printers/scanners in university create - for useful help on how to scan please see: Print, Scan and Copy on University Printers
  • .doc or .docx word documents - we accept these for personal statements only should you need to inform us of any additional information that you feel would be pertinent to your application.

We will not accept:

  • image files of any sort (.png.jpeg; etc) - they are too large and not clear enough and with the availability of scanners on campus they should not be necessary
  • bank statements inserted on to word documents - a lot of students will add screenshots or photos of bank statements - these are rarely clear enough for us to accept
  • images of bank statements from mobile phones

Please DO NOT upload anything that is not required, we only need the evidence that is listed and will contact you if further information is required.

DO NOT upload evidence more than once.  We have to go through every piece of evidence individually and this will extend the processing times to your detirment.

If we do require further evidence, once you have uploaded via the upload task on e:Vision (same place as you apply), email stating that you have now done this.  Make sure you clearly put your student number in the subject line. 

We will not be able to move forward with your application until this has been done.