Dr Subashini Suresh
Reader in Construction Project Management and Director of Post Graduate Research Programmes
She has nearly 20 years’ experience in research, teaching and practice in the area of Project Management and has worked in the area of Engineering and Construction (EC) sector in more than 10 countries (UK, USA, UAE, Nigeria, Ghana, Morocco, Dominican Republic, Saudi Arabia, Italy, Netherlands and India). Subashini has worked on EU and EPSRC along with other projects. The project’s cost range from €1,200 to £850,000 (approx. €1 million). She has successfully executed many research projects in various capacities and has been the Project lead in 10 projects. Under her supervision, 19 PhD students have successfully graduated with PhD’s. She has published widely in academic publications, which include journal papers, conference papers, articles, book chapters, reports and books.
Knowledge management, Smart cities, Building Information Modelling, Health and Safety, Sustainability/Green construction, Risk management, Emerging technologies, Quality management, Leadership in change management initiatives, Lean construction, and Diversity issues in built environment.
- Fellow of Quantity Surveyors International (FQSi) from March 2019
- Joint Coordinator for the International Council for Research and Innovation in Building and Construction (CIB) Member for Working Commission (W102) on “Information and Knowledge Management, since 2018
- Fellow of Royal Society for the encouragement of Arts, Manufactures and Commerce (FRSA) since 2017
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA) since 2009
- Doctorate of Philosophy, Glasgow Caledonian University, Glasgow, United Kingdom (2006)
Received funding (fees and bursary) by Glasgow Caledonian University and ORSAS scholarship for 3 years.
- Master of Engineering-Construction Technology, Bangalore University, Bangalore, India (1999) – secured First class
Received funding (fees and bursary) by the Government of India through GATE scholarship for 2 years.
- Bachelor of Engineering- Civil, Bangalore University, Bangalore, India (1996) – secured First class
Received funding from M.S Ramaiah Trust.
- Post Graduate Certificate in Learning and Teaching in Higher Education, (2009), University of Wolverhampton, UK.
Publications – January 2014
Journal publications since January 2014
- Abdul-Aziz, A.R; Suresh, S; Renukappa, S (accepted) The conundrum of professionalizing building surveying in Malaysia, International Journal of Building Pathology and Adaptation, Emerald publishing. 10.1108/IJBPA-10-2019-0086, 14th June 2020
- Jallow, H., Renukappa, S., and Suresh, S., (In print) The impact of Covid-19 outbreak on United Kingdom infrastructure sector, Smart and Sustainable Built Environment, Emerald publishing, 1st June 2020, DOI (10.1108/SASBE-05-2020-0068)
- Kamunda, A., Renukappa, S., Suresh, S., and Jallow, H., (accepted 2020) BIM in the Water Industry: Addressing Challenges to improve the project delivery process, Engineering, Construction and Architectural Management (ECAM), Special issue: Construction 4.0, Emerald publishing. Accepted on 26th April 2020, DOI (10.1108/ECAM-12-2019-0692)
- Donastorg A., Renukappa, S., and Suresh, S. (2020), Evaluating critical success factors for implementing renewable energy strategies in the Dominican Republic, Renewable Energy, Volume 149, April 2020, Pages 329-335, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2019.12.053
- Sarrakh R, Renukappa, S., Suresh S, Mushtat S (2020), Impact of subsidy reform on the kingdom of Saudi Arabia’s economy and carbon emissions, Energy Strategy Reviews, Vol 28, March 2020, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.esr.2020.100465
- Silverio-Fernandez, M., Renukappa, S., and Suresh, S., (2019), Evaluating critical success factors for implementing smart devices in the construction industry: An empirical study in the Dominican Republic, Engineering, Construction and Architectural Management (ECAM), Emerald publishing, vol 26, No 8, pages 1625 – 1640, DOI: 10.1108/ECAM-02-2018-0085.
- Shetty N, Renukappa S, Suresh S (2019), Innovative business models for smart cities – A systematic review, International Journal of Innovative Technology and Exploring Engineering (IJITEE), International Journal of Innovative Technology and Exploring Engineering, 8(12S), pp 339-343, 10.35940/ijitee.L1088.10812S19
- Vanderhorst HR, Suresh S, Renukappa S (2019), Systematic literature review of the current implementation of Unmanned Aerial System (UAS) in the construction industry, International Journal of Innovative Technology and Exploring Engineering (IJITEE), Volume-8, Issue-11S, DOI: 10.35940/ijitee.K1073.09811S19.
- Aziz ARA, Chan TK, Renukappa S, Suresh S (2019), How significant was the global financial crisis to Indonesia’s public listed housing developers?, Journal of Contemporary Issues and Thought, Vol 9 page 24-39, ISSN: 0128-0481, 16 Aug 2019
- Sarrakh R, Suresh R, Suresh S, Al Nabt S (2019), Smart solutions in the oil and gas industry: A review, Journal of Clean Energy Technologies 7(5):72-76, 10.18178/JOCET.2019.7.5.512, September 2019
- Renukappa, S., Hanouf, A., and Suresh, S., (2019), Knowledge management related training strategies in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia construction industry: An empirical study, International Journal of Construction Management (TJCM), Taylor & Francis, DOI: 10.1080/15623599.2019.1580002
- Abdul-Aziz, Abdul-Rashid; Ali, Suhaila; Subashini Suresh; Suresh, Renukappa,(2019), Project Management Competency Framework For Industrialised Building System (IBS) Construction , International Journal of Technology, Volume 10 issue 4, e-ISSN 2087-2100.
- Chinyio E, Suresh S, Salisu J B (2018) The impacts of monetary rewards on public sector construction workers in Nigeria, Journal of Engineering, Design and Technology, Vol. 16 Issue: 1, pp.125-142, https://doi.org/10.1108/JEDT-12-2016-0098. Highly Commended in the 2019 Emerald Literati Awards.
- Silverio-Fernandez, M., Renukappa, S., and Suresh, S., (2018) What is a Smart device? - A conceptualization within the paradigm of the Internet of Things, Visualization in Engineering, Vol. 6, No. 3, 1-10.
- Silverio-Fernandez, M., Renukappa, S., and Suresh, S., (2018), Utilisation of Smart Devices in the Construction Industry: An Empirical Study in the Dominican Republic, International Journal of 3-D Information Modeling (IJ3DIM), pgs 15-29 7(1), 10.4018/IJ3DIM.2018010102
- Almarshoudi, A., Suresh, S., and Renukappa, S., (2018) Knowledge management practices in Oman construction sector, International Journal of Knowledge Engineering (IJKE), Vol. 4, No. 1, pp. 50-54.
- Silverio, A. K., Suresh, S., Renukappa, S., and Heesom, D (2017), BIM education framework for clients and professionals of the construction industry, International Journal of 3D Information Modeling (IJ3DIM), Volume 6, Issue 2, April-June 2017, DOI: 10.4018/IJ3DIM.2017040104.
- Suresh, S., Afghani, I., Renukappa, S., Mushatat, S., and Olayinka, R., (2017) Examining the Construction Health and Safety Practices in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, Journal of Construction in Developing Countries, Vol.22, No. 1, pp.97–113, 2017, August 2017, https://doi.org/10.21315/jcdc2017.22.1.6
- Renukappa, S., Algahtani, K., Al Nabt, S., Suresh, S. and Alosaimi, H. (2017) Investigating the use of knowledge management tools within the Saudi Arabian public sector organisations, Middle East Journal of Management, Vol. 4, No. 4, pp.355–371.
- Renukappa, S., Alosaimi, H. and Suresh, S. (2017) ‘Key knowledge management strategies implemented in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia construction industry: an empirical study’, Middle East Journal. Management, Vol. 4, No. 4, pp.309–324.
- Renukappa, S., Al Shebli, A., and Suresh, S., (2017) Drivers for embedding sustainability strategies within the Abu Dhabi public sector organisation: An empirical study, Middle East Journal of Management, 4(2), pp.171–184.
- Suresh, S., Olayinka, R., Chinyio, E., and Renukappa, S., (2017) Impact of knowledge management practices on construction projects, Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers - Management, Procurement and Law, 170(1), 27-43. http://dx.doi.org/10.1680/jmapl.15.00057
- Odimabo O.O, Oduoza C.F and Suresh S (2017): “Methodology for Project Risk Assessment of Building Construction Projects Using Bayesian Belief Networks”, International Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, Vol 6, No. 6, pp. 221-234, DOI: 10.5923/j.ijcem.20170606.01
- Salisu J B, Chinyio E, Suresh S (2016), “The impact of compensation on public construction workers’ retention in Jigawa state of Nigeria”, International Journal of Engineering Sciences and Management, 6(2) 2016.
- Renukappa, S., Akintoye, A., Egbu, C., and Suresh, S., (2016) Sustainable Procurement Strategies for Competitive Advantage: An Empirical Study, Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers - Management, Procurement and Law, 169 (1), 17–25.
- Ahiakwo, O., Oloke, D., Suresh, S. and Katib J (2015), “Implementing the Last Planner TM System in a Road Construction Project in Nigeria”, Built Environment Journal, Vol. 12, No.2, pages 33 – 49. ISSN 1675-5022.
- Olayinka R., Suresh, S., Chinyio, E., (2015), “The Impact of Knowledge Management in Reducing the Cost of Poor Quality – The Case Of UK Construction Industry”, Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers - Management, Procurement and Law, Volume 168 Issue 4, August 2015, pp. 177-188, DOI: 10.1680/mpal.1400035.
- Renukappa S, Egbu C. O, Suresh S and Mushatat S (2015), “Drivers for managing sustainability-related knowledge within selected UK industrial sectors: an empirical study” Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers - Management, Procurement and Law, Volume 168 April 2015 Issue MP2, Pages 66–75, DOI: 10.1680/mpal.14.00029.
- Bashir A. M., Suresh S., Oloke, D. A., Proverbs, D. G. and Gameson R. (2015) “Overcoming the Challenges facing Lean Construction Practice in the UK Contracting Organisations”. International Journal of Architecture, Engineering and Construction (IJAEC) Vol 4, No 1, March 2015, 10-18.
- Obunwo C; Chinyio E and Suresh S (2014), “Quality Management Practices and Customer Satisfaction Antecedents In Government Construction Projects”, International Journal of Engineering Sciences and Management, Issue 4(4), Impact Factor: 2.745 (SIJF), ISSN: 2277-5528.
- Harding J, Suresh, S., and Renukappa, S., (2014), “Do Building Information Modelling Applications Benefit Design Teams into Achieving BREEAM Accreditation”, Journal of Construction Engineering, Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 390158, http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2014/390158.
- Manu, P., Ankrah, N., Proverbs, D. and Suresh, S., (2014) “The health and safety impact of construction project features”, Engineering, Construction and Architectural Management, Vol. 21 No: 1, pp.65 – 93. http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/ECAM-07-2012-0070.
Policy impact Articles
- Stride, M,, Suresh, S., and Renukappa, S., (2020) The impact of Covid-19 on the UK construction industry, written evidence, The impact of coronavirus on businesses and workers, Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy Committee, U.K Parliament, https://committees.parliament.uk/writtenevidence/5656/pdf.
- Stride, M,, Suresh, S., and Renukappa, S., (2019) Inclusivity and Intersectionality Toolkit and Annual Report 2019, women and work, Edited by All Party Parliamentary Group, https://connectpa.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/Women-and-work-Annual-report-2019-A4.pdf
- Renukappa S, Suresh S and Egbu C (2016), “Managing knowledge associated with carbon reduction initiatives”, http://greenbuildingencyclopaedia.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/PAS-Article-Managing-knowledge-associated-with-carbon-reduction-initiatives-P.pdf , available from 5th May 2016. PAS 2080: 2016- The Green Construction Board in collaboration with the British Standards Institute (BSI) have developed the Publicly Available Specification (PAS) 2080 – Carbon Management in Infrastructure.
- Suresh S, Karodia N, and Burnham K (2020), Faculty of Science and Engineering (FSE) Research Conference, Book of Abstract, 17th February, University of Wolverhampton, ISSN 2634-2014
- Renukappa, S., Sanga, T. J., and Suresh, S. (2017), The Nigerian water and waste water industry: governance, efficiency, procurement and infrastructure, Lap Lambert Academic Publishing, Saarbrücken, Germany, 102 pages, ISBN 978-3-330-00782-6.
Chapters in Books
- Sarrakh, R., Renukappa, S., and Suresh, S., (2020) Evaluation of sustainable energy growth in Qatar: A systematic review of literature, in the book titled Secondary Research Methods in the Built Environment, Edited by Manu, E., and Akotia, J., Routledge: Taylor & Francis Group, London, UK.
- Renukappa S, Suresh S, Al Nabt S, Sarrakh R, Algahtani K (2020) “An ISM approach to evaluate critical success factors for knowledge management strategies in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia”, a chapter in the book titled, “Harnessing Knowledge, Innovation and Competence in Engineering of Mission Critical Systems” Editors: Hessami A . ISBN 978-1-78984-110-7. IntechOpen, DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5772/intechopen.90069, 4th March
- Suresh S, Chike Oduoza and Suresh Renukappa (2018). Leadership Initiatives for Health and Safety Risk Management Systems in a Small Construction Company: A Case Study, In the book titled “Risk Management Treatise for Engineering Practitioners”, Chike F Oduoza, IntechOpen, DOI: 10.5772/intechopen.80697. Available from: https://www.intechopen.com/books/risk-management-treatise-for-engineering-practitioners/leadership-initiatives-for-health-and-safety-risk-management-systems-in-a-small-construction-company November 27th
- Onengiyeofori O. Odimabo, Chike F. Oduoza and Subashini Suresh (2018). “An Insight into the Process, Tools and Techniques for Construction Risk Management”, a chapter in the book titled Risk Management Treatise for Engineering Practitioners, Chike F Oduoza, IntechOpen, DOI: 10.5772/intechopen.79459. Available from: https://www.intechopen.com/books/risk-management-treatise-for-engineering-practitioners/an-insight-into-the-process-tools-and-techniques-for-construction-risk-management November 27th
- Manuel, S., Renukappa, S., Suresh, S., and Donastorg A., (2017) “Mobile computing in the construction industry: Main challenges and solutions” a chapter in the book titled Leadership, Innovation and Entrepreneurship as Driving Forces of the Global Economy”, Edited by Benlamri, Rachid, Sparer, Michael, Springer Proceedings in Business and Economics, (ISBN 978-3-319-43433-9), DOI 10.1007/978-3-319-43434-6_8.
- Khaled, A., Renukappa, S., Suresh, S., and Saeed, A. (2017) “Knowledge management practices in Saudi Arabian public sector organizations: A case study of the Ministry of Justice”, a chapter in the book titled “Leadership, Innovation and Entrepreneurship as Driving Forces of the Global Economy”, Edited by Benlamri, Rachid, Sparer, Michael, Springer Proceedings in Business and Economics, (ISBN 978-3-319-43433-9), DOI 10.1007/978-3-319-43434-6_39.
- Obunwo C, Chinyio E, Suresh S and Solomon A (2017), “Quality and satisfaction with constructed roads in Nigeria: the clients’ view”, a chapter in the book titled Clients and Users in Construction edited by Kim Haugbolle and David Boyd, Publisher Taylor and Francis
Experience in industry
Initially she worked in the industry as a site manager and design engineer. Thereafter, started working with the industry on information and knowledge management, health and safety, leadership, risk management and sustainability aspects.
University of Wolverhampton WIRE e-Library: http://wlv.openrepository.com/wlv/
Orcid Account: http://orcid.org/0000-0001-5266-128X