Senior Lecturer in Media, Religion and Culture. Course Leader for Media and Cultural Studies
I have been a full time member of the academic staff at Wolverhampton since 2000.
My academic background is in Indian religions. However I have developed an interest in how religious ideas are communicated and in particular the significance of new media on religious beliefs and practices. More generally I have an interest in the convergence of religion and popular culture. My research is primarily ethnographic.
- British Association for the Study of Religion International Association of Cultural Studies,
- Media, Communication and Cultural Studies Association.
- PhD 'Hindu Identity Nationalism and Globalisation' 2000 University of Wales,
- MPhil 'Modernity and Tradition in Nineteenth Century Hinduism' 1995 University of Wales,
- BA Religious Studies - First Class Honours 1994 University of Wales,
- MA Mass Communications - Distinction 2006 Centre for Mass Communication Research at the University of Leicester.
- 2015 The Art of Living Foundation: Spirituality and Wellbeing in the Global Context. Farnham: Ashgate,
- 2015 'Simulating the Apocalypse: Theology and Structure of the Left Behind Games’ Online': Heidelberg Journal of Religion and the Internet 7, pp 85 – 106,
- 2014 'Inner Peace and Global Harmony: Individual Wellbeing and Global Solutions in the Art of Living’. Culture Unbound: Journal of Current Cultural Research. 6, pp.873 – 889,
- 2014 'Therapeutic Solutions and Discourses of Self-Empowerment: Introduction to the Special Edition of Culture Unbound'. 6, pp.725 - 729 (with Alan Apperley and Mark Jones),
- 2014 'Media Studies' in George Chryssides and Benjamin Zeller (eds) The Bloomsbury Companion to New Religious Movements,
- 2012 'The Ambivalence of Sleep in World Religions' in Andrew Green and Alex Westcombe (ends) Sleep: Multi-Professional Perspectives,
- 2011 'Confusing the Issue: Field Visits as a Strategy for Deconstructing Religious Boundaries’. Discourse: The Journal of the HEA Subject Centre for Philosophy and Religious Studies (with Opinderjit Takhar),
- 2010 Hinduism Today. London: Continuum.
I am the chair of the Faculty Ethics Committee and member of the University Ethics Commitee.