Dr Paraskevi Goggolidou
Reader in Molecular Genetics
Paraskevi obtained her BSc Hons in Molecular Genetics from King's College London, where she graduated with a 2:1 in June 2001. She then embarked on a PhD in the prestigious Weatherall Institute of Molecular Medicine, after having obtained a highly competitive Medical Research Council (MRC) PhD studentship to work on the regulation of the mouse alpha globin cluster. This was followed by a post-doctoral career development fellowship at MRC Harwell and since 2010, she has obtained independent positions in academia, focusing her research on understanding the genetic mechanisms that underlie rare diseases, with the ultimate aim of impacting on disease prognosis and finding pharmacological treatments for them.
-Paediatric kidney disease
-Planar Cell Polarity
Autosomal Recessive Polycystic Kidney Disease (ARPKD) is a rare condition affecting 1 in 20,000 live births, boys and girls equally. It causes enlarged kidneys (with or without cysts), liver fibrosis and high blood pressure. Paraskevi's research on the molecular pathways of ARPKD is supported by the PKD charity. For more information please see the short you tube video: https://youtu.be/tZeGyM68q0Q
European Renal Association, Member
Institute of Biomedical Science, Fellow
Higher Education Academy, Fellow
Ciliopathy Alliance, Member
ARPKD RaDaR Group, Founding Member
British Society of Cell Biology, Member
British Society of Developmental Biology, Member
International Mammalian Genome Society, Member
Genetics Society, UK, Member
BSc Hons, DPhil (Oxon)
a) Refereed papers
1. Richards T. Modarage K., Dean C., McCarthy-Boxer A., Hilton H., Esapa C., Norman J., Wilson P., Goggolidou P. (2018) Atmin modulates Pkhd1 expression and may mediate Autosomal Recessive Polycystic Kidney Disease (ARPKD) through altered non-canonical Wnt/Planar Cell Polarity (PCP) signalling. Biochim Biophys Acta Mol Basis Dis, 1865(2), 378-390.
2. Richards T, Goggolidou P. (2018) Potential therapeutic applications of WNT/beta-catenin interventions in treating human disease. J Clin Gen Genomics, 1(2):17-20.
3. Goggolidou P. (2018) Rare diseases: power in numbers. J Clin Gen Genomics, 1(1), 10.
4. Goggolidou P. and Wilson P.D. (2016) Novel biomarkers in kidney disease: the roles of cilia, Wnt signalling and ATMIN in polycystic kidney disease. Biochemical Society Transactions, 44(6), 1745-1751.
5. Goggolidou P., Hadjirin N.F., Bak A., Papakrivopoulou E., Hilton H., Norris D.P., Dean C.H. (2014) Atmin mediates kidney morphogenesis by modulating Wnt signalling. Human Molecular Genetics, 23(20), 5303-5316.
6. Goggolidou P., Stevens S., Agueci F., Wheway G., Grimes D. et al. (2014) ATM-interactor (ATMIN) is a transcriptional regulator of both lung morphogenesis and ciliogenesis. Development, 141(20), 3966-3977.
7. Yusuf B J, Goggolidou P, Milne T, Abba A A, Bakari A G, Sa'idu A, Dutse A I, Gwaram B A, Ashfaq K, Abubakar S A. (2014) Validity of new flow cytometric protocol in diagnosis of low-grade myelodysplastic syndromes. Sub-Saharan Afr J Med, 1, 40-47.
8. Goggolidou P. (2014) Wnt and planar cell polarity signalling in cystic renal disease. Organogenesis, 10(1), 86-95.
9. Goggolidou P., Soneji S., Powles-Glover N., Williams D., Sethi S., Baban D., Simon M.M., Ragoussis I., Norris D.P. (2013) A chronological expression profile of gene activity during embryonic mouse brain development. Mammalian Genome, 24(11-12), 459-472.
10. Yates L.L., Papakrivopoulou J., Long D.A., Goggolidou P., O.Connelly J., Woolf A.S., Dean C.H. (2010) The planar cell polarity gene Vangl2 is required for mammalian kidney branching morphogenesis and glomerular maturation. Human Molecular Genetics, 19 (23), 4663-4676.
11. Guzman-Ayala M., Lee K.L., Mavrakis K.J., Goggolidou P., Norris DP., Episkopou V. (2009) Graded Smad2/3 activation is converted directly into levels of target gene expression in Embryonic Stem Cells. PLOS ONE, 4(1), e4268.
12. Ermakov A., Stevens J.L., Whitehill E., Robson J.E., Pieles G., Brooker D., Goggolidou P., Powles-Glover N., Hacker T., Young S.R., Dear N., Hirst E., Tymowska-Lalanne S., Briscoe J., Bhattacharya S., Norris D.P. (2009) Mouse mutagenesis identifies novel roles for left-right patterning genes in pulmonary, craniofacial, ocular and limb development. Developmental Dynamics, 238 (3), 581-94.
b) Refereed conference publications
1. Goggolidou P., Ermakov A., Powles-Glover N., Bogani D., Goggin P., Johnston D., Greenfield A., Briscoe J., Norris D.P. (2009) Gpg3, a novel ciliogenesis mutant modulating Hh signalling. Mechanisms of Development, 01/2009, 126.
2. Stevens J., Powles-Glover N., Goggolidou P., Norris D.P. (2009) The role of the transcriptional activator Atmin in cilia based hedgehog signalling and left–right development. Mechanisms of Development, 08/2009, 126:S268.
3. Norris D.P., Ermakov A., Stevens J., Field S., Goggolidou P., Powles-Glover N. (2008) A genetic screen for situs abnormalities. Developmental Biology, 319 (2), 510.
c) Conference abstracts
1. Goggolidou P., Richards T., Modarage K., Dean C., Norman J., Wilson P. (2018) ATMIN modulates PKHD1 expression and through altered non-canonical Wnt/Planar Cell Polarity (PCP) signalling mediates ARPKD severity. 55th ERA-EDTA congress, Copenhagen, Denmark.
2. Goggolidou P., Norman J.T., Wilson P.D. (2017) The role of ATMIN in Autosomal Recessive Polycystic Kidney Disease (ARPKD), American Society of Nephrology Kidney Week, New Orleans, USA.
3. Wilson P.D. and Goggolidou P. (2016) Expression of vasopressin-2 receptors in human ADPKD kidneys at different stages of disease progression, British Renal Society UK Kidney week, Birmingham, UK.
4. Tharmadas G., Medeiros Musquiari K., Wilson P.D., Goggolidou P. (2016) The role of Wnt signalling proteins in Autosomal Recessive Polycysic Kidney Disease, British Society of Developmental Biology- British Society of Cell Biology Spring Meeting, Warwick, UK.
5. Goggolidou P. et al., (2009) Gpg3, a novel ciliogenesis mutant modulating Hh signalling, 16th International Congress in Developmental Biology, Edinburgh, UK.
6. Goggolidou P. et al., (2008) ”Gasping” mutants, a complex ENU-derived mouse phenotype, 20th International Congress of Genetics, Berlin, Germany.
7. Norris D., Ermakov A., Stevens J., Field S., Goggolidou P., Powles-Glover N. (2008) A genetic screen for situs abnormalities, Society for Developmental Biology 67th Annual Meeting, Philadelphia, USA.
8. Goggolidou P., Wood W.G. (2005) Regulation of the mouse α globin cluster, 2nd Alan Wolfe EMBO Conference on Chromatin and Epigenetics, Heidelberg, Germany.
9. Goggolidou P., Wood W.G. (2004) Regulation of the mouse α globin cluster, Keystone Symposium on the Emerging Mechanisms of Epigenetic Regulation, California, USA (Awarded Scholarship for Poster Presentation).
Goggolidou P. (2018; Editor and Author) Cilia in Development and Disease, Taylor & Francis, New York (released April 2018, 240 pages, ISBN 9781498703680).
Invited Editorship- Authors: Goggolidou P., University of Wolverhampton; May-Simera H., Universitat Mainz, Swoboda P., Karolinska Institute; Dean C.H., Imperial College London; Gerdes J., Helmholtz Zentrum Munchen; Schmidts M., Radboud University Medical Centre; Meilhac S., Imagine Institut Pasteur.
e) Popular Science Articles
Goggolidou P. (2011) Genetic engineering: pros and cons, Aeolida magazine, Athens, Greece.
Goggolidou P. (2010) Thalassemia, a disease that affects us all, Aeolida magazine, 7, 53-56, Athens, Greece.
Goggolidou P. (2010) Alcohol: benefits and health risks, Aeolida magazine, 9, 42-44, Athens, Greece.