Professor Alan Nevill
Professor in Sport
- Email address email@example.com
- Phone number 01902 322838
- Location University of Wolverhampton William Penny Brookes (WD) Building Walsall Campus Gorway Road Walsall WS1 3BD
- Faculty Faculty of Education Health & Wellbeing
- Areas of expertise Biostatistics applied to health, sport and exercise sciences).
Alan Nevill is the Research Professor in the Faculty of Education Health and Wellbeing, Wolverhampton University (specialization in biostatistics applied to health, sport and exercise sciences). His most recent research specializes in multilevel and allometric modelling of large data sets, analysing human health and performance associated with body size. He is currently the Editor-in-Chief of the Journal of Sports Sciences and on the Editorial Board of Paediatric Exercise Sciences. He studied for his BSc (Hons) in Mathematics at Loughborough University and completed his PhD in Statistics at Bradford University. He is Fellow of the Royal Statistical Society (RSS) and a past Chair of Birmingham and Merseyside’s RSS local groups. Alan has been a consultant statistician to Allied Dunbar National Fitness Survey, Chelsea FC and is currently the consultant statistician to the Oil and Gas industry in collaboration with Robert Gorgons University Aberdeen.
- Biostatistics applied to health
- Sport and exercise sciences
- Diploma in Industrial Studies (DIS)
- Certificate in Education
Alan Nevill is the Research Professor in the Faculty of Education Health and Wellbeing, Wolverhampton University (specialization in biostatistics applied to health, sport and exercise sciences). His most recent research specializes in multilevel and allometric modelling of large data sets, analysing human health and performance associated with body size. He has recently retired as the Editor-in-Chief of the Journal of Sports Sciences and on the Editorial Board of Paediatric Exercise Sciences. He studied for his BSc (Hons) in Mathematics at Loughborough University and completed his PhD in Statistics at Bradford University. He is Fellow of the Royal Statistical Society (RSS) and a past Chair of Birmingham and Merseyside’s RSS local groups. Alan has been a consultant statistician to Allied Dunbar National Fitness Survey, Chelsea FC and the Professional Referees Association (PGMOL). Professor Alan Nevill has published over 300 refereed papers, 100 refereed abstracts and an H index of 61 (http://bit.ly/1PXCdZZ). He also has 27 successful PhD completions.
List of Publications
- MacLaren DPM, Nevill AM, Thake CD, Campbell IT, Cheetham E, Keegan MA, Lane C, Roberts NB (2000) “Human erythrocyte and plasma amino acid concentrations during exercise”. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise 32: (7) 1244-1249.
- Boreham, C.A.G. Wallace, W.F.M. and Nevill, A.M. (2000) “Training effect of accumulated daily stair-climbing exercise in previously sedentary young women”. Preventative Medicine, 30(4), 277-281.
- Nevill, A.M. and Holder R.L (2000) “Modelling health related performance indices” Annals of Human Biology. 27 (6), 543-559.
- Bowtell, J.L., Leese, G.P., Smith, K., Watt, P.W., Nevill, A.M., Rooyackers, O., Wagenmakers, A.J.M. and Rennie, M.J. (2000) “Effect of oral glucose on leucine turnover in human subjects at rest and during exercise at two levels of dietary protein”. Journal of Physiology, 525: 271-281.
- Johnson, P.J., Cunningham, D.A., Paterson, D.H., Koval, J.J., Nevill, A.M. and Winter, E.M. (2000) “Modelling the Influence of Age, Body Size and Gender on Maximum Oxygen Uptake in Older Humans”. Experimental Physiology, 85(2), 219-225.
- Murphy M.H., Nevill A.M. and Hardman A.E. (2000) "Different patterns of brisk walking are equally effective in decreasing postprandial lipaemia". International Journal of Obesity. 24: (10) 1303-1309.
- Waterhouse J, Witte K, Huser L, Nevill A, Atkinson G, Reilly T, Lemmer B (2000) "Sensitivity of heart rate and blood pressure to spontaneous activity in transgenic rats" Biological Rhythm Research. 31(2), 146-159.
- Reilly T, Williams AM, Nevill A, Franks A (2000) "A multidisciplinary approach to talent identification in soccer". Journal of Sports Sciences, 18: (9) 695-702
- Waterhouse J, Weinert D, Nevill A, Atkinson G, Reilly T (2000) Some factors influencing the sensitivity of body temperature to activity in neonates. Chronobiology International, 17: (5) 679-692.
- Waterhouse J, Edwards B, Nevill A, Atkinson G, Reilly T, Davies P, Godfrey R (2000) "Do subjective symptoms predict our perception of jet-lag?" Ergonomics. 43: (10) 1514-1527.
- Nevill AM, Holder RL (2000) "Modelling handgrip strength in the presence of confounding variables: results from the Allied Dunbar National Fitness Survey" Ergonomics. 43: (10) 1547-1558.
- Beynon C, Burke J, Doran D, Nevill A (2000) "Effects of activity rest schedules on physiological strain and spinal load in hospital-based porters" Ergonomics 43: (10) 1763-1770.
- Ramsbottom, R., Nevill, A. M., SeagerR. D. and Hazeldine R. (2001) Effect of training on accumulated oxygen deficit and shuttle run performance. The Journal of Sports Medicine and Physical Fitness, 41 (3), 281-290
- Balmer, N.J., Nevill, A.M. and Williams, A.M. (2001) Home advantage in the Winter Olympics (1908-1998) Journal of Sports Sciences, 19(2); 129-139.
- Nevill, A.M., Lane, A.M., Kilgour, L.J., Bowes, N. and Whyte, G.P. (2001) Stability of psychometric questionnaires Journal of Sports Sciences 19 (4): 273-278
- Stensel, D.J., Lin, F-P. and Nevill, A.M. (2001) Resting metabolic rate in obese and non-obese Singaporean boys aged 13 to 15 years. The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 74 (3): 369-373.
- Waterhouse J, Folkard S, Van Dongen H, Minors D, Owens D, Kerkhof G, Weinert D, Nevill A, Macdonald I, Sytnik N, Tucker P Temperature profiles, and the effect of sleep on them, in relation to morningness-eveningness in healthy female subjects. CHRONOBIOLOGY INTERNATIONAL 18 (2): 227-247 2001.
- Waterhouse J, Weinert D, Nevill A (2001) Circadian temperature and activity rhythms in mice under free-running and entrained conditions; Assessment after purification of the temperature rhythm BIOLOGICAL RHYTHM RESEARCH 32 (3): 301-322
- Atkinson G, Nevill AM (2001) Selected issues in the design and analysis of sport performance research JOURNAL OF SPORTS SCIENCES 19 (10): 811-827.
- Nevill, A.M., Balmer, N.J. and Williams, A.M. (2002) The Influence of Crowd Noise and Experience upon Refereeing Decisions in Football. Psychology of Sport and Exercise 3(4); 261-272.
- Nevill A, Holder R, Maffulli, N., Cheng, J, Leung, S, Lee, W., Lau, J. (2002) Adjusting bone mass for differences in projected bone area and other confounding variables; an allometric perspective. Journal of Bone and Mineral research, 17(4): 703-708.
- Waterhouse J, Nevill A, Weinert D, Folkard S, Minors D, Atkinson G, Reilly T, Macdonald I, Owens D, Sytnik N, Tucker P (2001) Modeling the effect of spontaneous activity on core temperature in healthy human subjects. BIOL RHYTHM RES 32 (5): 511-528
- Knowles, Z., Gilbourne, D., Borrie, A. and Nevill, A.(2001) Developing the reflective sports coach: a study exploring the process of reflective practice within higher education coaching programme. Reflective Practice, 2(2): 185 - 207
- Woodfield LA, Duncan MJ, Al-Nakeeb Y, Nevill AM, Jenkins, C.(2002) Sex, ethnic and socio-economic differences in children’s physical activity. Pediatric Exercise Science. 14; 277-285.
- Waterhouse J, Edwards B, Nevill A, Carvalho S, Atkinson G, Buckley P, Reilly T, Godfrey R, Ramsay R (2002) Identifying some determinants of "jet lag," and its symptoms: a study of athletes and other travellers BRITISH JOURNAL OF SPORTS MEDICINE 36 (1): 54-60.
- Hughes, M.D. Cooper, S.M. and Nevill, A (2002) Analysis procedures for non-parametric data from performance analysis. International Journal of Performance Analysis in Sport, 2, 6-20.
- Rayson, M.P., Wilkinson, D.A., Valk E. and Nevill, A.M. (2002) The physical demands of army basic training. Contemporary Ergonomics 1 (9) 209-214
- Nevill, A.M, Atkinson, G., Hughes, M. and Cooper, S-M. (2002) Statistical methods for analysing discrete and categorical data recorded in sport performance and notation analyses. Journal of Sports Sciences, 20, 829-844.
- Duncan MJ, Woodfield LA, Al-Nakeeb Y, Nevill AM (2002) The Impact of Socio-economic Status on the Physical Activity levels of British Secondary School Children. European Journal of Physical Education, 7, 30-44.
- Rhodes, C, Bill, K, Biscomb, K, Nevill, A and Bruneau, S. (2002) Widening participation in Higher Education: support at the further education/higher education interface and its impact on the transition and progression of advanced GNVQ students- a research report. Journal of Vocational Education and Training. 54 (1); 133-146.
- Murphy, M, Nevill, A, Neville, C., BiddleS and Hardman A. (2002) Accumulating brisk walking for fitness, cardiovascular risk and psychological health. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise 34 (9): 1468-1474
- Duncan, MJ, Woodfield, LA, O’Neill, SJ, Al-Nakeeb, Y, Nevill, AM and Lane, AM. (2002) Test-retest stability of body image scores in a sample of 12- to 14-yr-olds. Perceptual and Motor Skills, 95; 1007-1012.
- Ingham, S, Whyte, G., Jones, K. and Nevill, A. (2002) Determinants of 2000m Rowing Ergometer Performance in Elite Rowers. European Journal of Applied Physiology, 88 (3): 243-246.
- Burrows M, Nevill AM, Bird S, and Simpson D. (2003) Bone mineral status of female endurance runners BRITISH JOURNAL OF SPORTS MEDICINE 37 (1): 67-71.
- Hughes, M., Cooper, S-M., Nevill, A.M. and Brown, S. (2003). An example of reliability testing and establishing performance profiles for non-parametric data from performance analysis. International Journal of Computer Science in Sport, 2(1), 34-56
- Nevill, AM, Holder, RL and Stewart AD. (2003) Modeling elite male athletes' peripheral bone mass, assessed using regional Dual X-ray absorptiometry. Bone 32(1), 62-68.
- Waterhouse, J. Nevill, A., Edwards, B., Godfrey R. and Reilly, T. (2003). Therelationship between assessments of jet lag and some of its symptoms. Chronobiology International, 20: 1061-1073.
- Nevill, A.M. Brown, D., Godfrey, R., Johnson, P.J., Romer, L, Stewart, A.D. and Winter, E.M. (2003) Modeling maximum oxygen uptake of elite endurance athletes. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, 35(3); 488-494.
- Bird, S., Theakston, S., Owen A. and Nevill, A.M. (2003) Cardiac and physiological characteristics associated with 10km running performance among a group of highly trained endurance runners aged 21-63 years. Journal of Aging and Physical Activity 11, 333-250.
- Weinert D, Nevill A, Weinandy R, Waterhouse J (2003) The development of new purification methods to assess the circadian rhythm of body temperature in Mongolian gerbils. CHRONOBIOLOGY INTERNATIONAL. 20 (2): 249-270.
- Nevill, A.M., Burrows, M., Holder, R.L., Bird, S. and Simpson, D. (2003) Does BMD in lower body sites develop at the expense of upper body BMD in female endurance runners? Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise. 35(10); 1733-1739.
- Balmer, N.J., Nevill, A.M. and Williams, A.M. (2003). Modelling home advantage in the Summer Olympic Games. Journal of Sports Sciences. 21: 469-478.
- Godfrey, R.J., Whyte, G., McCarthy, J., Nevill A., and Head, T. (2004) The validity of capillary blood sampling in the determination of human growth hormone concentration during exercise in adult males. British Journal of Sports Medicine 38 (5). Art. no e27. Oct 2004.
- Nevill, A.M., Holder, R.L. and Stewart, A.D. (2004). Do sporting activities convey benefits to bone mass throughout the skeleton? Journal of Sports Sciences 22, (7) 645-50.
- Whyte, G., George, K, Nevill, A., Shave. R., Sharma, S. and Mckenna, W.J. (2004) Left Ventricular Morphology and Function in Female Athletes: A Meta-Analysis. International Journal of Sports Medicine 25: 380-383.
- Bouziotas, C., Koutedakis, Y., Nevill, A.M. Ageli, E., Tsigilis, N., Nikolaou, A. and Nakou, A. (2004) Greek adolescents, fitness, fatness, fat intake, activity and coronary heart disease risk. Archives of Disease in Childhood 89: 41-44.
- Nevill A.M., Stewart, A.D., Olds, T. and Holder, R.L. (2004)Are adult physiques geometrically similar? The dangers of allometric scaling using body mass power laws. American Journal of Physical Anthropology 124, 177-182.
- Rhodes, C and Nevill, A. (2004) Academic and social integration in Higher Education: A survey of satisfaction and dissatisfaction within a first-year education studies cohort at a new university. Journal of Further and Higher Education. 28(2) 179-193.
- Nevill, A., Rowland, T., Goff, D., Martel, L. and Ferrone, L. (2004) Scaling or normalising maximum oxygen uptake to predict 1-mile run time in boys. European Journal of Applied Physiology, 92: 285-288.
- Waterhouse, J., Jones, K., Edwards, B., Harrison, Y., Nevill, A., Reilly, T. (2004). Lack of evidence for a marked endogenous component determining food intake in humans during forced desynchrony. Chronobiol. Int. 21: 445-468.
- Nevill, A.M., Markovic, G., Vucetic, V, and Holder, R.L. (2004) Can greater muscularity in larger individuals resolve the 3/4 power-law controversy when modelling maximum oxygen uptake? Annals of Human Biology, 31(4), 436-445.
- Philippou A., Bogdanis, G.C., Nevill A.M., Maridaki M. (2004) Changes in the angle-force curve of human elbow flexors following eccentric and isometric exercise. European Journal of Applied Physiology. 93: 237-244.
- Balmer, N. J., Nevill, A. M., and Lane, A. M. (2005) Do judges enhance home advantage in European championship boxing?Journal of Sports Sciences 23 (4): 409-416
- Rhodes, C., Nevill A. and Allan, J. (2004) How will this help me? Evaluating an accredited programme to enhance the early professional development of newly qualified teachers. Journal of In-service Education, 31, 337-352.
- AtkinsonG., Davison R.and Nevill AM (2005) Performance characteristics of gas analysis systems: What we know and what we need to know. International Journal of Sports Medicine.26: S2-S10.
- Waterhouse J, Edwards B, Bedford P, Hughes A, Robinson K, Nevill A, Weinert D, Reilly T (2004) Thermoregulation during mild exercise at different circadian times. Chronobiol. Int 21 (2): 253-275.
- Flouris AD, Koutedakis Y, Nevill A, Metsios GS, Tsiotra G, Parasiris Y (2004) Enhancing specificity in proxy-design for the assessment of bioenergetics. JOURNAL OF SCIENCE AND MEDICINE IN SPORT, 7 (2): 197-204.
- Duncan, M.J., Al-Nakeeb, Y., Nevill, A.M. (2004) Body esteem and body fat in British school children from different ethnic groups. Body Image, 1, 311-315.
- Rhodes, C., Nevill, A. and Allan, J. (2004) Valuing and supporting teachers: a survey of teachers’ satisfaction, dissatisfaction, morale and retention in an English local education authority. Research in Education. 71, 67-80.
- Lane, A.M., Nevill, A.M., Bowes, N and Fox, K.R. (2005) Test retest stability of the Task and Ego Orientation Questionnaire. Research Quarterly in Exercise and Sport. 76 (3): 339-346.
- Murtagh E.M., Boreham C.A.G., Nevill A., Hare L.G., and Murphy M.H. (2005) The effects of 60 minutes of brisk walking per week, accumulated in two different patterns, on cardiovascular risk. Preventative Medicine, 41, 92-97.
- Duncan, M.J., Al-Nakeeb, Y., Nevill, A.M. and Jones M.V. (2004) Body Image and physical Activity in British secondary school children. European Physical Education Review 10 (3), 243-260.
- Ramsbottom, R., Ambler, A., Potter, J., Jordan, B., Nevill, A. and Williams, C. (2004) The effect of a 6 Months Training on Leg Power, Balance, and Functional Mobility of Independent living Adults. Journal of Aging and Physical Activity. 12(4) 497-510.
- Nevill AM, Teixeira LV, Marques MD, Waterhouse JM (2004) Using covariance to unravel the effects of meteorological factors and daily and seasonal rhythms BIOL RHYTHM RES 35 (1-2): 159-169.
- Lane AM, Whyte GP, Terry PC and Nevill AM. (2005) Mood, self-set goals and examination performance: The moderating effect of depressed mood. Personality and Individual Differences, 39(1) pp 143-153
- O'Donovan, G, Owen, A, Bird, S, Kearney, E, Nevill, A, Jones, D and Woolf-May, K. (7 January 2005) Changes in cardiorespiratory fitness and coronary heart disease risk factors following 24 weeks of moderate- or high-intensity exercise of equal energy cost. Journal of Applied Physiology 98 (5): 1619-1625 and available on-line at http://jap.physiology.org/papbyrecent.shtml
- Weinert D, Waterhouse J, Nevill A (2004) Changes of body temperature and thermoregulation in the course of the ovarian cycle in laboratory mice. BIOL RHYTHM RES 35 (3): 171-185.
- Nevill A.M., Stewart, A.D., Olds, T. and Holder, R.L. (2006) The relationship between adiposity and body size reveals the limitations of BMI. American Journal of Physical Anthropology, 129 (1): 151-156.
- Nevill, AM., Jobson, S.A, Palmer, G.S, and Olds, T.S. (2005) Scaling maximum oxygen uptake to predict cycling time-trial performance in the field: A non-linear approach. European Journal of Applied Physiology, 94(5-6); 705-710.
- McKee, D.P., Boreham, C.A.G., Murphy, M.H., and Nevill, A. Validation of the Digiwalker™ pedometer for measuring physical activity in young children. Pediatric Exercise Science. 17(4) 345-352.
- O’Donovan, G, Owen, A, Kearney, E, Jones, D, Nevill, A, Woolf-May, K and Bird, S. Cardiovascular disease risk factors in habitual exercisers, lean sedentary men and obese sedentary men.International Journal of Obesity. 29; 1063-1069.
- Lyons, M., Al-Nakeeb, Y., Nevill, A.M. (2006) Performance of soccer passing skills under moderate and high intensity localized muscle fatigue. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research 20 (1) 197-202.
- Waterhouse J, Nevill A, Finnegan J, Williams P, Edwards B, Kao SY, Reilly T (2005) Further assessments of the relationship between jet lag and some of its symptoms. CHRONOBIOL INT 22 (1): 121-136.
- Nevill, A.M. and Whyte, G. (2005) Are there limits to running world-records? Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, 37(10) 1785-1788.
- O’Donovan, G., Kearney, E.M., Nevill, A.M., Woolf-May, K. and Bird, S.R. (2005) The effects of 24 weeks of moderate- or high-intensity exercise on insulin resistance. European Journal of Applied Physiology. 96 (5-6): 522-528.
- Tsiotra GD, Flouris AD, Koutedakis Y, Faught BE, Nevill AM, Lane AM, Skenteris N. (2006) "A Comparison of Developmental Coordination Disorder Prevalence Rates in Canadian and Greek Children" Journal of Adolescent Health 39, 125-127.
- Duncan, M. J., Al-Nakeeb, Y. and Nevill, A. (2005) Familiarisation in a backwards, overhead medicine ball throw explosive power test. Research in Sports Medicine: An International Journal, 13, 345-352.
- Nevill AM, Bate S, and HolderRL. (2005) Modeling physiological and anthropometric variables known to vary with body size and other confounding variables. Yearbook of Physical Anthropology. 48: 141-153.
- Lane AM, Harwood C, Nevill AM (2005) Confirmatory factor analysis of the Thought Occurrence Questionnaire for Sport (TOQS) among adolescent athletes ANXIETY STRESS AND COPING 18 (3): 245-254.
- Duncan, M., Al-Nakeeb, Y., Nevill, A and Jones, M.. (2006) Body Dissatisfaction, Body Fat and Physical Activity in British Children International Journal of Pediatric Obesity, 1(2): 89-95.
- O'Donovan G, Kearney EM, Nevill AM, Woolf-May K, Bird SR (2005). The effects of 24 weeks of moderate- or high-intensity exercise on insulin resistance. European Journal of Applied Physiology 95 (5-6): 522-528.
- Murtagh E.M., Boreham C.A.G., Nevill A., Davison G., Trinick, T., Duly E., El-Agnaf, M. and Murphy M.H. (2005) Acute Responses of Inflammatory Markers of Cardiovascular Disease Risk to a Single Walking Session. Journal of Physical Activity and Health. 2 (3), 324-332.
- Jobson, S.A., Nevill, A.M., Palmer, G.S., Jeukendrup, A.E., Doherty, M. and Atkinson, G. (2007) The ecological validity of laboratory cycling: Does body size explain the difference between laboratory and field-based cycling performance? Journal of Sports Sciences, 25(1), 3-7.
- Dickinson, JW, Whyte, G P, McConnell, A K, Nevill, A M and Harries, M G (2006) Mid-expiratory flow versus FEV1 measurements in the diagnosis of exercise induced asthma in elite athletes. Thorax 61:111–114.
- Nevill, A.M., Jobson, S.A., Davison, R.C.R., Jeukendrup, A.E. (2006) Optimal power-to-mass ratios when predicting flat and hill-climbing time-trial cycling. European Journal of Applied Physiology, 97 (4): 424-431.
- Lyons, M., Al-Nakeeb, Y., Nevill, A.M. (2006) The impact of moderate and high intensity total body fatigue on passing accuracy of experienced and novice basketball players. Journal of Sport Science and Medicine 5(2): 215-227.
- Murphy, MH, Murtagh, EM, Boreham, CAG, Hare LG, and Nevill AM. (2006) The effect of a worksite based walking programme on cardiovascular risk in previously sedentary civil servants BMC Public Health 2006, 6:136.
- Lane AM, Nevill AM, Ahmad NS, Balmer N (2006) Soccer referee decision-making: 'Shall I blow the whistle? Journal of Sport Science and Medicine 5(2), 243-253.
- Wyon, M, Allen, N, Angioi, M., Nevill A. and Twitchett, E. (2006) Anthropometric Factors Affecting Vertical Jump Height in Ballet Dancers. Journal of Dance Medicine andScience, 10, 106-110
- Myers TD, Balmer NJ, Nevill AM, Al-Nakeeb Y (2006) Evidence of nationalistic bias in Muay Thai. JOURNAL OF SPORTS SCIENCE AND MEDICINE 5: 21-27.
- Weston M, Bird S, Helsen W, Nevill A, Castagna C. (2006) The effect of match standard and referee experience on the objective and subjective match workload of English Premier League referees. JOURNAL OF SCIENCE AND MEDICINE IN SPORT 9 (3): 256-262.
- Unnithan VB, Nevill A, Lange G, Eppel J, Fischer M, Hebestreit H, (2006) Applicability of an allometric power equation to children, adolescents and young adults of extreme body size JOURNAL OF SPORTS MEDICINE AND PHYSICAL FITNESS 46 (2): 202-208.
- Anderson, AG, Murphy, MH; Murtagh, E; Nevill, A (2006) An 8-week Randomized Controlled Trial on the Effects of Brisk Walking, and Brisk Walking with Abdominal Electrical Muscle Stimulation on Anthropometric, Body Composition, and Self-Perception Measures in Sedentary Adult Women. Psychology of Sport and Exercise. 7(5), 437-451
- Wyon M, Deighan M, Nevill A, Doherty M, Morrison S, Allen N, Jobson S and George S. (2007) The cardiorespiratory, anthropometric and performance characteristics of an international/national touring ballet company. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research. 21, (2) 389–393.
- O'Donovan, G., McEneny, J., Kearney, E. M., Owen, A., Nevill, A. M., Woolf-May, K. and Bird, S. (2007). LDL particle size in habitual exercisers, lean sedentary men and abdominally obese sedentary men. International Journal of Sports Medicine, 28 (8): 644-649.
- Edwards, L., Jobson, S., George, S., Day, S., Nevill, A.M. (2007) The effect of crank inertial load on the physiological and biomechanical responses of trained cyclists. Journal of Sports Sciences 25 (11): 1195-1201.
- Koutedakis, Y., Hukam, H., Metsios, G., Nevill, A., Giakas, G., Jamurtas, A.Z., Myszkewycz, L. (2007) The effects of three months aerobic and strength-training on selected performance- and fitness-related parameters in modern dance students. J. Strength Cond. Res, 21(3): 808-812.
- Waterhouse, J, Aizawa, S, Nevill, A, Edwards, B, Weinert D, Atkinson, G, Reilly T. (2007) Rectal temperature, distal sweat rate and blood flow following mild exercise at two phases of the circadian cycle. CHRONOBIOL INT 24 (1) 63 - 85.
- Rhodes C, Hollinshead, A. and Nevill A. (2007) 'Changing Times, Changing Lives: a new look at job satisfaction in two university Schools of education located in the English West Midlands' Research in Post-compulsory Education, 12, 71-89.
- Wallace, E.S., Otto, S.R. and Nevill, A. (2007) Ball launch conditions for skilled golfers using drivers of different length in an indoor testing facility. Journal of Sports Sciences, 25 (7): 731-737.
- Nevill AM, Holder RL and Cooper SM (2007) Statistics, truth and error reduction in sport and exercise sciences. European Journal of Sports Sciences, 7(1): 9-14.
- Murphy MH, Nevill AM, Murtagh EM, Holder RL (2007) The effect of walking on fitness, fatness and resting blood pressure: a meta-analysis of randomised, controlled trials. Preventative Medicine, 44(5), 389-393.
- Nevill, AM, Whyte, G, Holder RL and Peyrebrune, M. (2007) Are there limits to swimming world-records? International Journal of Sports Medicine 28 (12): 1012-1017.
- MarkovicG, Vucetic V, Nevill AM (2007) Scaling behaviour of in athletes and untrained individuals. Annals of Human Biology, 34(3): 315-328.
- Stavropoulos-Kalinoglou A, MetsiosGS, Yiannis Koutedakis Y, Nevill AM, Douglas KM, Jamurtas A and Kitas GD. (2007) Redefining overweightness and obesity in rheumatoid arthritis patients: a prospective cross-sectional observational study. Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, 66 (10): 1316-1321.
- Cooper, S.M, Hughes, M; O'Donoghue, P; Nevill, A.M. (2007) A simple statistical method for assessing the reliability of data entered into sport performance analysis systems. International Journal of Performance Analysis in Sport. 7(1), 87-109.
- Martin L., Nevill AM, and Thompson KG. (2007) Once- or Twice-Daily Training’s Lack of Effect on Diurnal Variation in Swim Performance. Journal of Sports Physiology and Performance 2: 192-200.
- Metsios G., Stavropoulos A., Nevill A., Douglas, K. M. J., Koutedakis Y. and Kitas G.D (2007) Smoking significantly increases basal metabolic rate in patients with rheumatoid arthritis. Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases 67 (1): 70-73.
- Metsios GS, Stavropoulos-Kaliniglou A, Douglas KMJ, Koutedakis Y, Nevill AM, and Kitas GK (2007) Blockade of tumour necrosis factor alpha in rheumatoid arthritis: effects on components of rheumatoid cachexia. Rheumatology 46:1824–1827.
- Davis, J, Davison, G.W, Trinick, T, Duly, E, Nevill, A.M, and Murphy, M.H (2008) Acute effects of walking on inflammatory and cardiovascular risk in sedentary postmenopausal women. Journal of Sports Sciences. 26(3), 303-309
- Duncan, M.J., Lyons, M. and Nevill A.M. (2008) Evaluation of peak power prediction equations in male basketball players. J. Strength Cond. Res 22(4):1379-81.
- Carter JM, Wilkinson DM, Blacker SD, Rayson MP, Bilzon JLJ, Izard RM, Coward A, Wright A, Nevill A, Rennie K, McCaffrey T and Livingstone B (2008) An investigation of a novel three dimensional activity monitor to predict free-living energy expenditure," Journal of Sports Sciences, 26(6),553-561.
- Whyte, G, George, K., Shave, R., Middleton, N., Nevill, A.(2008) Training induced changes in maximum heart rate. International Journal of Sports Medicine, 29(2) 129-133.
- Ingham SA, Nevill AM, Pedlar C, Whyte GP, Dunman N, and Bailey DM(2008) Determinants of 800m and 1500m running performance using allometric models. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise. 40 (2);. 345–350.
- Metsios GS, Flouris AD, Koutedakis Y, Nevill A(2008) Criterion-related validity and test-retest reliability of the 20m Square Shuttle Test. Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport, 11(2), 214-217.
- Nevill A, Atkinson, G and Hughes M. (2008) Twenty-five years of sport performance research in the Journal of Sports Sciences. Journal of Sports Sciences, 26(4), 413-426.
- Bond, P; Kingston, P, Nevill, A. (2008) Operational efficiency of health care in police custody suites: comparison of nursing and medical provision. Journal of Advance Nursing. 60(2), 127-134.
- Balmer, N.J., Nevill, A.M., Lane, A.M., Ward, P., Williams AM. and Fairclough S.H. (2007) Influence of crowd noise refereeing consistency in Soccer. Journal of Sports Behavior. 30(2) 130-145.
- Groves, M., Biscomb, K., Nevill, A. & Matheson, H. (2008) Exercise Dependence, Self-esteem and Identity Reinforcement: A Comparison of Three Universities in the United Kingdom. Sport in Society, 11(1), 59 - 73
- O'Gara, E.A., Maslin D.J., Hill, D.J. and Nevill A.M. (2008) The Effect of Simulated Gastric Environments on the Anti-Helicobacter activity of Garlic Oil. Journal of Applied Microbiology 104 (5) , 1324–1331
- Siegler, JC, Keatley, S, Midgley, AW, Nevill, A.M, McNaughton, LR. (2008) Pre-exercise alkalosis and acid-base recovery. International Journal of Sports Medicine. 29(7):545-51.
- Jobson, S.A., Woodside, J. Passfield, L., and Nevill, A.M (2008) Allometric scaling of uphill cycling performance. International Journal of Sports Medicine. 29(9) 753-757.
- Duncan M, Woodfield L, Al-Nakeeb Y, Nevill AM. (2008) Differences in physical activity levels between white South Asian children in the United Kingdom. Pediatric Exercise Science 20(3) 285-291.
- Richmond V, Rayson M, Wilkinson D, Carter J, Blacker S, Nevill A, Du Ross, Moore. (2008) Development of an operational fitness test for the Royal Air Force. Ergonomics 51(6) 935-946.
- Walton J.T., Hill D.J., Protheroe R.G., Nevill AM. and Gibson H. (2008) Investigation into the effect of detergents on disinfectant susceptibility of attached Escherichia coli and Listeria monocytogenes. Journal of Applied Microbiology 105(1); 309-315.
- Rhodes C, Brundrett, and Nevill A. (2008) Leadership Talent Identification and development Perceptions of Heads, Middle Leaders and Classroom Teachers in 70 Contextually Different Primary and Secondary Schools in England. Educational Management Administration and Leadership. 36(3) 301–325.
- Jobson, S.A., Nevill, A.M., George, S.R., Jeukendrup, A.E. and Passfield, L. (2008) Influence of body position when considering the ecological validity of laboratory time-trial cycling performance. Journal of Sports Sciences 26 (12) 1269-1278.
- Nevill AM. Ramsbottom R. Nevill ME. Newport S. and Williams C. (2008) The relative contributions of anaerobic and aerobic energy supply during track 100-, 400- and 800-m performance. J Sports Med Phys Fitness 49(2) 138-142.
- Lyons M, Al-Nakeeb Y, Nevill A. (2008) Post-exercise coincidence anticipation in expert and novice Gaelic games players: the effects of exercise intensity. European Journal of Sport Science 8(4), 205-216
- Stavropoulos-Kalinoglou, A, Metsios GS, Panoulas VF, Douglas KMJ, Nevill AM, Jamurtas AZ, Kita M, Koutedakis Y and Kitas GD. (2008) Cigarette smoking associates with body weight and muscle mass of patients with rheumatoid arthritis: a cross-sectional, observational study Arthritis Research & Therapy manuscript. 10(3) R59.
- Rollo I, Williams C, Nevill A. (2008) Repeatability of scores on a novel test of endurance-running performance. Journal of Sport Science 26(13) 1379-1386.
- Nevill A.M, Metsios G S, JacksonA S, Wang J, Thornton J, Gallagher,D (2008) Can we use the Jackson and Pollock equations to predict body density/fat of obese individuals in the 21st century? International Journal of Body Composition Research. 6, 115-122.
- MacLeod H, Morris JG, Nevill A and Sunderland C. (2009) The validity of a non-differential global positioning system for measuring player movement patterns in field hockey. Journal of Sport Science 27(2), 121-128.
- Nevill, A.M, Beech, C, Holder, R.L and Wyon, M. (2009) Scaling Concept II rowing ergometer performance for differences in body mass to better reflect rowing in water. Scand J Med Sci Sports 20(1), 122-127.
- Tsiotra G D,. Nevill A M, Lane A M, Koutedakis Y. (2009) Physical Fitness and Developmental Coordination Disorder in Greek Children. Paediatric Exercise Science. 21(2) 186-195.
- Edwards, L.M
- Liverpool John Moores (Professor)
- Liverpool John Moores (Reader)
- Birmingham University (Lecturer in measurement)
- Plymouth Polytechnic (lecturer in Statistics)
- Dublin City University
- University of Ulster, NI (MSc)
- Liverpool John Moores, (MRes)
- University of Wales, Cardiff
- Bangor University
Consultant statistician to Allott and Lomax (Consulting Engineers), Birmingham (1997-2002).
Consultant statistician to Optimal Performance Ltd, Farnham, (1996-2009).
Consultant statistician to the Allied Dunbar national fitness survey (1991-1993).
As consultant statistician to Optimal Performance Ltd, Farnham, working on contracts awarded by the Ministry of Defence, I earned approximately £4,000, through JMU services.
The work carried out for Allott and Lomax resulted in a draft report (as a co-author) commissioned by the Department of Transport entitled “Effect of regular cycling on a sample of previous non-exercisers” (Report Number 44057/0), see list of publications.
British Academy grant £5000 to investigate “Consistency of Football Referees’ Decision Making”, March 2003
A named investigator in an Arts and Humanities Research Council [AHRC] grant for £90,136 plus two PhD bursaries (awarded to Emily Twitchett and Manuela Angioi), awarded in 2006. The study aimed to investigate the daily demands of rehearsals for classical ballet dancers and to study the affects of short term low magnitude, high frequency mechanical signals on bone mineral density and muscle power output in professional ballet dancers.
Statistical consultancies for 2007-9. The life-shirt project University of Ulster, £1254; The play-ground project University of Ulster, £650; The Coca-cola project University of Loughborough, £1000; The Chelsea training data analysis project, £1500; The Rowing ergometer project, University of Loughborough, £1000
A named investigator in a Medical Research Council grant for £420.000. The grant is in collaboration with Birmingham University, Action Heart and the University of Wolverhampton. The project involves an intervention to influence lifestyle (using self determination theory or SDT) that will hopefully result in the adoption and maintenance of physical activity sufficient to provide sustained cardiovascular and personal well-being benefits in patients with rheumatoid arthritis.
Consultant to Dr Heyman Luckraz MBBS (Hons), FRCS (CTh), MD, Consultant Cardiothoracic Surgeon, Cardiothoracic Clinical Governance & Audit Lead, SCTS Representative at Council of College of Perfusionists at the Heart & Lung Centre, Wolverhampton NHS trust. (2013 to present)
Consultant statistician to the Oil and Gas industry in collaboration with Robert Gorgons University Aberdeen. Project is exploring the association between body size and the ability to exit the egress of helicopters. (2013 to present)
Consultant statistician to Professional Game Match Official Limited (PGMOL) (2013 to present)