Senior Lecturer in Politics
- Email address A.R.Apperley@wlv.ac.uk
- Phone number 01902 32 3462
- Location MH 121, Mary Seacole Building, City Campus North
- Faculty Faculty of Social Sciences
- Institute School of Social, Historical and Political Studies
- Areas of expertise
Public Service Broadcasting; Political Communication; Media and Democracy; Media and Power; Therapeutic Culture and Higher Education.
Alan has been a Lecturer since 1991, and a full-time lecturer at the University of Wolverhampton since 1994. In addition to his academic work, Alan is a published novelist (his debut novel - Indeterminate Creatures - was published by Tindal Street Press in 2010) and was, until recently, guitarist with acclaimed post-punk band The Nightingales.
- PhD Political Theory (University of Warwick 1987-1991),
- BA (Hons) Philosophy and Politics (University of Warwick 1984-1987).
“Revisiting Dearing: Higher Education and the Construction of the ‘Belabored’ Self” (2014) Culture Unbound, Volume 6, 2014: 731–753. Online: http://www.cultureunbound.ep.liu.se/article.asp?DOI=10.3384/cu.2000.1525.146731
“Introduction to Special Edition: Therapeutic Cultures” (with Steve Jacobs and Mark Jones”) (2014) Culture Unbound, Volume 6, 2014: 725-729. Online: http://www.cultureunbound.ep.liu.se/article.asp?DOI=10.3384/cu.2000.1525.146725
“Extract from Indeterminate Creatures” (2010) The Warwick Review. Vol. 4(1): 61-70
"Public Relations and Discourses of Professionalization" (with Sarah Williams) (2009) in A Rogojinaru & S Wolstenholme eds, Current Trends in International Public Relations. Bucharest: Tritonic. ISBN 978-973-733-406-0