Frequently Asked Questions -

- BA (Hons) Interpreting British Sign Language/English

- BA (Hons) Interpreting British Sign Language/English with Foundation Year


Where will I study?

The course is based at the University of Wolverhampton’s City Campus.


How many modules per year?

Full time students will study 3 modules per semester. There are 2 semesters in the academic year so in total students will study 6 modules per year.


How many hours per week will I study?

In class and blended learning  approximately 16 hours per week.

*There may be variations to this schedule, which is dependant upon how your module is structured and delivered.


Does this include self-study?

Students will be given Student Directed Learning (SDL) tasks  to prepare and work on outside the classroom to enhance their learning and language development skills.

How will I be assessed?

There are a range of assessments from traditional essays and presentations to translations, role-plays, simulations, comprehensions and live one-to-one discourse (language modules). 


Class schedule

Classes are scheduled between the hours of 9am to 9pm.  For further details contact the admissions tutor.


Will there be classes every day?

The teaching sessions for each of your modules could be timetabled on different days in a week, in which case you would need to attend for between 12-16* hours per week.

(*dependent upon the mix of in-class contact/blended learning)


Will the timetable change every semester?

Yes, timetables will change every semester and academic year.  Timetables will be set at the start of the academic year. 

What support is available?

You will have a personal tutor and an academic counsellor in your School.  Module tutors are also available for subject related tutorials.  The Student Gateway offer services including support for students who are dyslexic, disabled, visually impaired, partially hearing/deaf.  Personal counselling, financial advice and welfare services are also available.  The school also provides study support to assist with academic, writing and assignment skills, exam techniques etc.


How much will it cost and will there be funding?

There may be help from LEA’s and you may be entitled to a bursary or other financial assistance from the University. For more information on Fees and other financial information take a look at Money Matters.

Some students have been fortunate to be funded by their employer who utilises their skills back in the workplace.


What is the difference between Foundation year and Year 1 interpreting?

For Foundation Year (Level 0) students, Sign Language skills is not a pre-requisite to entry, however at Year 1, students are required to have an intermediate level of British Sign Language (BSL).

Will there be an opportunity to work?

The University has a service called 'Student Gateway' which provides professional advice and support on a wide range of student concerns and queries, from part time work to personal problems to financial and careers advice. They are situated on the ground floor (by the lift) in the MB building on City Campus


Is there a Work Placement module during the course?

Interpreting students will do a work placement module in semester 2 of their final year.  This is an opportunity to observe and apply learning to date in a ‘live’ setting.  It is also an extremely good way of meeting future employers and can and has in the past led to job offers and opportunities for graduates

Who will I be taught by?

The department has a range of experienced and qualified deaf and hearing lecturers who will teach across theory and language modules


Are there any mature students on the course?

The University classes anyone over 21 as a mature student. There is of course a range of students (in terms of age, background, knowledge and experience) on the course and this is valuable for sharing experiences and understanding issues that might occur within an interpreting setting. 


Will employers recognise my degree by the time I have completed the course?

Please contact the Course Leader, Interpreting for the latest professional accreditation update.


What will happen after my degree?

Further study will be required after the degree to become a member of the Register – for which currently recognised routes are by further university or NVQ training.

Can I work as a sign language interpreter when I graduate?

Upon graduation in order to work as a sign language interpreter you will be required to register with the professional body the NRCPD - The National Register of Communication Professionals working with Deaf and Deafblind people.

The"NRCPD regulates communication professionals who work with deaf and deafblind people. Our job is to safeguard the wellbeing and interests of people who rely on those professionals."

When applying to the 3 or 4 year interpreting programme, please ensure you are familiar and aware of the NRCPD requirements for registration. These can be found on the NRCPD's website,  and also include 'Restrictions on Practice', Professional Indemnity Insurance, Enhanced Disclosure and Barring System check, and a 'Fit and Proper Person's Declaration' 

Please go to the NRCPD website, click on the tab for 'Registering' and then 'Sign Language Interpreter' and you will find the above information there. If you have difficulty locating this information, then type the item into the NRCPD search box. 

If you have any queries in relation to the above information and your application to the course, please contact the Course Leader for the Interpreting Subject of your chosen programme.


Can I change if I don’t like my course?

Yes, if you feel that the course is not for you, it is important that you speak with a personal tutor who will advise you on other suitable routes e.g. Deaf Studies with another subject. The earlier this is done, the easier it is for the you to progress successfully


Can I get accreditation for prior experience and qualifications?

Yes, if you can show previous qualifications that meet the assessment outcomes.

Language certificates have a ‘shelf-life’ of approximately 2 years. If it is more than 2 years then a skills assessment may need to be conducted (this shelf-life can be flexible if there is evidence of active language use since certification).  For further information please contact the Admissions Tutor


Do I need to apply through UCAS?

Yes, all full time undergraduate students must apply through UCAS